tezro DM3/VBOB/DM5 - multiple links

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
tweakoz

tezro DM3/VBOB/DM5 - multiple links

Unread postby tweakoz » Thu May 25, 2017 12:47 am

My VBOB definitely has 2 SD inputs (labeled 1,2) and 2 HD inputs (also labeled 1,2).
The documentation refers to Link A and LinkB for SD and HD.
Are LinkA,LinkB only meant for aggregating bandwidth onto a single stream, or are they supposed to be useable as separate streams ?

If they are usable as separate streams, then how are we supposed to access it via OpenML?

mlquery only shows 1 SD input jack and 1 HD input jack.
why does mlquery not show the 2nd SD/HD jacks ?

Code: Select all

DEVICE: xt-digvid
         parent: tezr0.
          index: 0
        version: 1
          jacks: HDSerialDigitalInputJack,
                 HDSerialDigitalOutputJack,
                 HDGraphicsDigitalInputJack,
                 SDSerialDigitalInputJack,
                 SDSerialDigitalOutputJack,
                 SDGraphicsDigitalInputJack
          paths: HDSerialDigitalInput,
                 HDSerialDigitalOutput,
                 HDGraphicsDigitalInput,
                 SDSerialDigitalInput,
                 SDSerialDigitalOutput,
                 SDGraphicsDigitalInput

I am starting with some sample OpenML code from the OpenML tardist on nekochan's ftp site.
I will be morphing it into something cooler over time...

you can track progress here...
https://github.com/tweakoz/vbobtest

Thanks,

mtm

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: tezro DM3/VBOB/DM5 - multiple links

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:33 pm

I think the closest we've got to a VBOB expert here is uunix, speaking for myself I've never been able to get mine to work properly... :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 am

vishnu wrote:I think the closest we've got to a VBOB expert here is uunix, speaking for myself I've never been able to get mine to work properly... :roll:

Thanks for the honour Vishnu :oops: , but it may be miss-placed somewhat.

My VBOB usage has been strictly limited to using it with discreet products and if I get signal present output when I serial into the VBOB I'm generally happy.

What I do know, you can see serial 2 is receiving something by console access v --> s
Also in the init.cfg of a discreet product you can set the video line to serial1 or serial2 but not serial1and2 like you can with the output.

Probably not very helpful I'm afraid.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:09 pm

uunix wrote:Thanks for the honour Vishnu :oops: , but it may be miss-placed somewhat.

My VBOB usage has been strictly limited to using it with discreet products and if I get signal present output when I serial into the VBOB I'm generally happy.

What I do know, you can see serial 2 is receiving something by console access v --> s
Also in the init.cfg of a discreet product you can set the video line to serial1 or serial2 but not serial1and2 like you can with the output.

I think development of the VBOB was a collaborative effort between Discreet and SGI. A workstation and a VBOB by themselves aren't really good for much. There used to be a webpage or two that described how NBC used Octanes and VBOBs with Discreet products in their coverage of the Olympics around a decade ago, but looking for it now it appears none of that content appears to be around anymore.
Project:
Plan:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:10 pm

uunix wrote:Thanks for the honour Vishnu :oops: , but it may be miss-placed somewhat.

I think development of the VBOB was a collaborative effort between Discreet and SGI. A workstation and a VBOB by themselves aren't really good for much. There used to be a webpage or two that described how NBC used Octanes and VBOBs with Discreet products in their coverage of the Olympics around a decade ago, but looking for it now it appears none of that content has survivied. :cry:
Project:
Plan:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:51 pm

multiple links are used for higher fidelity signals. 4:4:4:4 requires two links, for example. That was before 3GHz-SDI was available, which can do 4:4:4:4 over a single link.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

corruptIR3

Unread postby corruptIR3 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Yeah input/output 1&2 or more commonly called 'dual-link' so You can go 4:4:4:4 on SD/HD and non-realtime 2k-HSDL

in No way are they independent. 4:4:4:4 is VERY important for effects like ALPA and chroma keying so Your getting all the info possible and its seemless looking when composited properly

Most "modern" film scanners have been 4:4:4:4 FOREVER

Return to “SGI: Video”