3 Years a project.

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: 3 Years a project.

Unread postby uunix » Wed May 03, 2017 2:23 pm

vishnu wrote:
oneogeo wrote:...the bottom left doesn't look like sparkling water

Unless I miss my guess (I rarely do ;) ) that's a can of the good stuff, Carling Black Label... 8-)

It's still there... well one that looks very similar.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:40 am

really fantastic job! An inspiration to us all!

BTW what do you find works better in smoke than in flame?

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:42 am

Very cool setup!
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 am

gijoe77 wrote:really fantastic job! An inspiration to us all!

BTW what do you find works better in smoke than in flame?

Nothing at all really. In fact, originally when I started, all knew was the name SMOKE and therefore aimed my attentions at that. In an email exchange with Ian Mapleson, he made a point that most people start with FLAME, but I'd felt a bit put of by the interface. Anyway, I preserved on that note with FLAME and managed to produce a few decent edited (very simplistic) home-video to a semi production movie with clips, music etc and now I just really use FLAME. Obviously I'm a real amateur at this so do not really know what benefits one has over the other, but for my use, FLAME was my tool. It really was so easy.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:22 pm

uunix wrote: most people start with FLAME, but I'd felt a bit put of by the interface.

I had it the other way around - flame seemed like just a subset of the smoke interface to me (the effects module) - I still struggle around smoke.

Do you have a TBC in your setup or does the Panasonic AG 7750 have a built in TBC?

Also do you have a external sync generator for the setup? I'm just wondering what was the crucial key to solving the timing issues going from VHS to digital (Last time I tried this with a VCR and my O2 it was an epic failure)

sgi-enthusiast

Unread postby sgi-enthusiast » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:05 am

Hi uunix,
This is a really interesting post as I see you have gone to significant effort to get your system configured and operational, and congratulations on that!
To try and keep up with the times I recently upgraded my system and now have it configured around HD. One problem has occurred since making the change and I wonder if you have struck the same problem and resolved it.
I can no longer record through Smoke/Flame beyond 52 frames. Every time I do I get the error message 'VTR: Capture: Too many frames dropped' and it kills the video (but not the audio).
I initially thought this may have been a cabling issue so I replaced the two DVI cables between the VBOB and the Tezro with shorter ones as well as every coax cable in the video signal path with new 3Ghz versions. I have also added a new Blackmagic Design sync generator as well as a new SyncGen Art3 sync generator to keep the audio in sync at 48Khz.
I also thought it might be a disk issue, so I replaced the original disk array with a newer 4600 tray with new fibre patch leads and 1Tb WD Enterprise 15K disks. S/F reports the disk speed as excellent so I don't see that as the issue. The Tezro itself has 8Gb RAM and the boot drive is a Samsung 850Pro 500G SSD which rockets along.
Lastly the source is a Blackmagic Design Hyperdeck Studio with Samsung 500Gb SSD's which act as the VTR. The components of the system are all configured for 1080-24P which is also the output of my video camera (which connects to the Hyperdeck studio).

Strange thing is I can play back off the camera and the Hyperdeck directly into the either S or F with no issues until you hit record and the 'Too many frames dropped' hits.
Had you struck this problem?
Thanks

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:19 am

Hi sgi-enthusiast,

Time has somewhat passed since the original post, my setup has changed and I have neglected the video input side as I have been dealing with single frames taken from a cine8 scanner.

Now, I had problems with Arrays, my A500 (StorEdge) was too noisy and my T3 (StoreEdge) was just utter crap. So I resorted to a temporary solution of just sticking a disk internally. Not the best solution at all.

My other issue at the time as to why it was dropping after a period was the audio and I had to either stop recording audio or reduce it's quality iirc. BUT.. I have a third Octane that copes with the audio and it's just a matter of applying the recorded file to the video track and syncing (the hard part).

I have since then purchased two nice array systems, a genuine Discreet array RS1220 and a Network Appliances DS14 mk4 which I have yet to install. I don't currently have the space to do anything, I've been purchasing a lot at the moment for an up and coming project and I have boxes and bits all over the place.

Anyway, as bad as my current setup seems, I decided to record some VHS (PAL) and see how it went after you posted this. It dropped at frame 4,596.

So, I'm afraid I can't direct you at the moment, it sounds like you have a great setup there, I have been thinking about getting Hyperdeck myself and also maybe a Blackmagic Aten[?]. Also think I will separate my SD & HD between two Octanes so I don't have to jig stuff about.

Oh and as for syncing etc, I do have an AJA Gen10 HD/SD Sync generator, not used it yet, but I also purchased a few pro SVHS boxes which can control the sync which proved much better than a home VHS player.

So, I was at the beginning about to record from my PS/3 at 720 (restricted by the size of my monitor) rather well in the early days, but that was a long time ago now.

And now, well all depends if my project goes forward I suppose, or I get a bigger house as I'm a bit stuck currently to just turning these on too heat the office.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Return to “SGI: Video”