3 Years a project.

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

3 Years a project.

Unread postby uunix » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:39 pm

I think it's been three years, feels like it, possibly two since I first obtained my Discreet Octane2 and decided I'd buy all the required bits and I'd edit and convert a VHS tape that my Father took whilst on holiday in Scotland in 1998. The tape was recorded all those years back onto full size VHS from VHS -C mini sort of tape.

Well finally my project is nearly at an end.

So at the beginning I had a discreet Octane2 but nothing else. It was a very good specked machine that I paid £30 for (+ £10 for a curry for the unknowing sellers, since I told them what it was and it really was worth much more, but they just wanted it shifted, I hope they enjoyed that curry as much as I have enjoyed owning this beast of a machine).

I purchased a load of stuff from Ian, VBOB, FC cables, SUN A5000 Disk array, then got some convertors, HDMI - SD etc, and then more convertors and some more convertors.

Over the time I have spent a bit, some good and some rubbish stuff, but mainly on the cheap.
I got an S-VIDEO - SD convertor from BlackMagic, that was an excellent purchase, later on I would get Blackmagic Audi splitter from SD, which again was good, but currently not needed.
I got a nice SONY Betacam unit, then a Panasonic S-VHS AG unit (mechanism is faulty, more on that later).

My first task was to take the VHS tape and make a good copy. I'd been copying from a standard VHS player to the Betacam, but had no sync and it never tuned out very good, partially black and white and with screen rolling. I had no sync, and the sync generator never worked because the sauce player had no idea of sync(?), so that went out the window and I was then on the look out for a unit like the SONY PVW 2800P (£30 I think) but to play the VHS. So I purchased a Panasonic AG 7750, in mint condition, again for a very small sum. Internal mechanism has a fault and kept ejecting tapes. So no good, or so I thought.

Syncing the two machines with genlock and using the AG to pass through from the simple VHS player to the SONY Betacam proved a break through. Brilliant picture (well as much as the original tape could display - although tested on proper VHS tapes like Star Wars, it really is good). Recording the old VHS tapes was a sinch.

You may ask, why I needed to get them onto Betacam. Well in hindsight, maybe I didn't, but when I purchased the SONY Betacam, I purchased a load of tapes as you may know (search for hot sex tapes), so I now have a load of full size and small size tapes in my library. I'd also read that Betacam was better quality, but as you may have though, the quality is only as good as the source?

And in a half rack cabinet, it all looks super cool.
IMG_5331.JPG

Out went the A5000, too noisy and in came the SUN T3 which took ages to configure to a nice disk size and reduce the power consumption. It runs with two disks producing 500GB of space. Plenty for my small projects.

I must point out that I was avid, that I was a SMOKE person. I'd loaded FLAME, and immediately thought NO, but after a few more attempts, I found the layout and reel/clip manipulation, absolutely fantastic. I purchased some manuals for SMOKE and FLAME, a few more cables, other things etc but I finally good a good copy of the tape onto the stonefs.

Now during the time, I learnt a lot (too much to recall here, clipping, snipping, audio, just so much..), my father is terrible at recording, even to a point of angling the camcorder 90 degrees for some strange reason. So I had to learn how to change a whole clip 90 degrees the other way. The sound was un-usable (hence no need for the SD - Audio splitter), so I decided a track was needed. I needed to add text at certain points and I wanted a retro feel. I wanted pre and post video diagnosis type display, I wanted the sound track to sound like it was taken from a record player. I purchased a record player, recorded and converted the audio using IRIX Sound recorder. The record player though was rather smart, so I had to emphasize the crackling some what.

I had to chop and change the actions in the video to match the song as best I could, and can I remind you, this tape was not just bad quality because it was so old and stored in rubbish places, but my father was terrible at filming anyway.

So I finally, exported.. and it's bloody ace! Maybe it's ace to me, because of the blood and sweat I have put in and seeing the original recording, but I do think it's ace.

I could go on, I'm sure I have missed many things along the way in the story, and more to the point the next one I do will be better, but I've produced a recording my parents will be chuffed about that they probably can't even remember the holiday. Since they went to Scotland, I thought it apt, that the Proclaimers I'm gonna be (500 miles) be the back ground and there is a fair bit of walking going on.

So nearly there.. I exported to AVI from FLAME and although extremely large (1.5GB), it worked OK under VLC player but no sound on any other player (inc OSX-Surprise). Converting it to MP4 got it to 10MB and again played really good under VLC but again no other player (except IRIX). So I'm wondering and looking into backburner? I must admit I am until I fiddle a bit, lost as for rendering at the moment. I have no doubt I will though overcome this issue (would certainly appreciate a bit of advice on exporting, would be nice to put it on my iPhone etc as well).

I don't think I can put it on youtube as I have copyright material, so unfortunately it's just for my parents at the moment.

Anyway, I feel it's been a long time, and some of you may recall some snippets of the story in what I have asked and purchased along the way.

One point though, I'm sure I could have done this on my mac mini in half a day.. but that's really not the point is it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

foetz

Re: 3 Years a project.

Unread postby foetz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:11 pm

looking at the pic it was worth the effort. looks just like some editing room in hollywood :D

devv

Unread postby devv » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Fantastic overview/update, thanks!
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

Hombre71
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Hombre71 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Looks ace!
:Tezro: :Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Craaaaaaaazy cool! 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:43 am

Do I spot a cat bed? :mrgreen:

Nice setup!
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:18 pm

jan-jaap wrote:Do I spot a cat bed? :mrgreen:

Nice setup!

Dog beds for Colin & Steve, I have one under the Windows side of the room as well.
[Edit] Should mention I have a Microsoft Windows side and a UNIX side to my home office.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Do you mind if I ask how much of a role your VBOB played in this effort? I bought mine with the idea of doing the same thing, but it was bad out of the box, and I eventually (and somewhat uncertainly) concluded that it wouldn't be of that much use anyway with regard to the task of digitizing VHS tapes.
Project:
Plan:

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Wow, amazing project!

I do have a question regarding: "SUN T3 which took ages to configure to a nice disk size and reduce the power consumption. It runs with two disks producing 500GB of space."

How did you get large disks supported on the SUN T3? I thought it was hard capped at ~140GB or so.. hence why I have one sitting around doing nothing for many years. So you have ~250GB FC disks in a SUN T3? I have a few 300GB FC disks lying around (dirt cheap these days), if I could stuff those in a T3 I would be quite thrilled.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:01 am

vishnu wrote:Do you mind if I ask how much of a role your VBOB played in this effort? I bought mine with the idea of doing the same thing, but it was bad out of the box, and I eventually (and somewhat uncertainly) concluded that it wouldn't be of that much use anyway with regard to the task of digitizing VHS tapes.

It was crucial, all the video media came through it. I suppose one could import from a file taken from another computer, for example, I have mac device that does exactly this. But I haven't imported any video as such, just audio. So yes, a crucial part from my perspective.

I did toy with the idea of having a second smoke box and sharing the media from the Octane via Wire-Tap, but I couldn't get anything licenced.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:11 am

necron2600 wrote:Wow, amazing project!

I do have a question regarding: "SUN T3 which took ages to configure to a nice disk size and reduce the power consumption. It runs with two disks producing 500GB of space."

How did you get large disks supported on the SUN T3? I thought it was hard capped at ~140GB or so.. hence why I have one sitting around doing nothing for many years. So you have ~250GB FC disks in a SUN T3? I have a few 300GB FC disks lying around (dirt cheap these days), if I could stuff those in a T3 I would be quite thrilled.

That's a good question to which I have no immediate answer without looking back at what the seller told me. It came from the seller with 9 x 500GB drives. It is the T3+ version, I don't know if that makes a difference?
I have 2x500GB drives installed currently, giving me approx. 500GB (450GB?) space in RAID1 configuration.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:52 am

A remarkable project. As already mentioned, your setup looks very professional.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:00 pm

uunix wrote:
vishnu wrote:Do you mind if I ask how much of a role your VBOB played in this effort? I bought mine with the idea of doing the same thing, but it was bad out of the box, and I eventually (and somewhat uncertainly) concluded that it wouldn't be of that much use anyway with regard to the task of digitizing VHS tapes.

It was crucial, all the video media came through it. I suppose one could import from a file taken from another computer, for example, I have mac device that does exactly this. But I haven't imported any video as such, just audio. So yes, a crucial part from my perspective.

I did toy with the idea of having a second smoke box and sharing the media from the Octane via Wire-Tap, but I couldn't get anything licenced.

Thanks for the info! I bought another VBOB, will be trying it again at some point this winter. :mrgreen:
Project:
Plan:

oneogeo

Unread postby oneogeo » Tue May 02, 2017 3:39 am

r e s p e c t

you remind me of my first 5-minutes 3D animation which i have on VHS, going back to 1994 created using 3D Studio on a 486DX4 50Mhz 16MB Ram, rendered for days using multiple LAN slaves, transferred to VHS tape using a video card with on-board SCSI connector and a 1GB disk holding the individual frame-files... couldn't transfer movies to tape directly those days.
i am missing the original files and think it's about time to archive that tape for my descendants. i kept my VHS player just for that one tape (no sex tapes in the closet :-) so thanks for the kick in the butt.

nice setup btw - the bottom left doesn't look like sparkling water
:1600SW: :320: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Tezro: :1600SW:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed May 03, 2017 11:25 am

oneogeo wrote:...the bottom left doesn't look like sparkling water

Unless I miss my guess (I rarely do ;) ) that's a can of the good stuff, Carling Black Label... 8-)
Project:
Plan:

Return to “SGI: Video”