Panasonic AG-1970p -> DIVO?

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Zerolapse

Panasonic AG-1970p -> DIVO?

Unread postby Zerolapse » Wed May 04, 2016 7:31 am

Hey All,

This might be a dumb question but I bought a beautiful Panasonic AG-1970p to capture some old home movies. I originally intended to plug it into either my O2 or my Octane compression board to capture, but I noticed that it's got BNC connectors on the rear as well as s-video. Are these just composite over BNC or are they actually SDI? The manual is really non-specific about them (it just says they're video in and video out basically) so I'm assuming they're just composite, but I figured I'd try to verify that. The reason I'm asking is that I actually have a DIVO board in my Octane (bought for another purpose) and enough fibre channel disk to deal with the resulting uncompressed video which would likely be preferable for editing.

Thanks!
-Jesse
:O3x06R: :ChallengeL: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: (4x Challenge S)
The current fleet.

robespierre

Re: Panasonic AG-1970p -> DIVO?

Unread postby robespierre » Wed May 04, 2016 8:06 am

There is no reason to believe the output is SDI unless it is marked "Serial". no professional gear has ever used RCA connectors for anything.

edit: here are what SDI connectors on video gear look like. The first image is from a D1 deck and uses SMPTE 259M-C; the second is from a D2 deck and uses SMPTE 259M-A. They both also have parallel video I/O, which is exactly the same data over a parallel cable.

DVR-2000.jpg
D1 connectors

DVR-28.jpg
D2 connectors
Last edited by robespierre on Wed May 04, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Wed May 04, 2016 8:35 am

Zerolapse wrote:Hey All,

This might be a dumb question but I bought a beautiful Panasonic AG-1970p to capture some old home movies. I originally intended to plug it into either my O2 or my Octane compression board to capture, but I noticed that it's got BNC connectors on the rear as well as s-video. Are these just composite over BNC or are they actually SDI? The manual is really non-specific about them (it just says they're video in and video out basically) so I'm assuming they're just composite, but I figured I'd try to verify that. The reason I'm asking is that I actually have a DIVO board in my Octane (bought for another purpose) and enough fibre channel disk to deal with the resulting uncompressed video which would likely be preferable for editing.

Thanks!
-Jesse

If it's the same model that I have in the loft, which is white and broke, it is not SDi it's RF. It was one of the first bits of video kit I wrongly bought.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Zerolapse

Unread postby Zerolapse » Wed May 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Nice, thanks for clearing that up, guys! I do have an svideo -> sdi converter so I can get it done either way, but using the O2 (or repairing my compression board) might be slightly more sensible.

Thanks again!
-Jesse
:O3x06R: :ChallengeL: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: (4x Challenge S)
The current fleet.

Return to “SGI: Video”