Problem capturing video on Onyx2

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
gandtimo

Problem capturing video on Onyx2

Unread postby gandtimo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 am

Hi,

I've got a problem capturing video from DIVO on the Onyx2. Namely I don't know, which tool to use. mediarecorder only offers me the option to capture video from screen and dmrecord wants a specified videoport, but the documentation doesn't mention the Onyx-hardware.

So how can I capture video (PAL, preferred uncompressed) on my Onyx?
cu
gandtimo
:Onyx2: ikarus 4xR12k 300MHz, 2880Mb, 8x36Gb Stone

recondas

Re: Problem capturing video on Onyx2

Unread postby recondas » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:18 pm

gandtimo wrote:I've got a problem capturing video from DIVO on the Onyx2. Namely I don't know, which tool to use. mediarecorder only offers me the option to capture video from screen and dmrecord wants a specified videoport, but the documentation doesn't mention the Onyx-hardware.
Wrong toolset/software. You'll need to install the DIVO/DVC package - Ian has kindly provided a copy in his Resources Depot: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/depot/6.5.11_ ... 2.4.tar.gz

gandtimo wrote:So how can I capture video (PAL, preferred uncompressed) on my Onyx?
PAL as in analog? If so the short answer is you don't.

If you haven't already seen them, the DIVO Release Notes and DIVO Option and DIVO-DVC Option Owner's Guide might be helpful:
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... notes/divo
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... /ch01.html
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

gandtimo

Unread postby gandtimo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:38 pm

recondas wrote:Wrong toolset/software. You'll need to install the DIVO/DVC package - Ian has kindly provided a copy in his Resources Depot: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/depot/6.5.11_ ... 2.4.tar.gz

Thanks, I'll give it a try

recondas wrote:PAL as in analog? If so the short answer is you don't.

Why not? Signal is coming from a VTR, composite, converted to SDI, into the DIVO.
videoin shows the video without problems.
cu
gandtimo

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:56 pm

gandtimo wrote:Signal is coming from a VTR,
You may have to tell Software Manager to include some of the optional subsystems, but the DIVO/DVC package has an app called Orion that allows control of some decks (and the capture process).
gandtimo wrote:composite, converted to SDI, into the DIVO.
Right.

gandtimo

Unread postby gandtimo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:35 am

I tried to install the package, but it produced 13 conflicts. 6.5.30 is running. Is there an actual DIVO/DVCPRO package?
cu
gandtimo

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:43 am

You need two software components: the 'base' software (the package Recondas referred to) and the matching overlay software from your 6.5.30 discs (overlay disc #2, 'unbundled' directory).
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:15 am

gandtimo wrote:I tried to install the package, but it produced 13 conflicts. 6.5.30 is running. Is there an actual DIVO/DVCPRO package?
As jan-jaap rightly points out, you'll need the original DIVO/DVC package from Ian's Depot *and* the DIVO/DVC software "upgrade" from your 6.5.30 CD set. The linked file is the actual DIVO/DVC software package; if your Onyx2 was still running IRIX 6.5.11 it would provide a complete self-contained installation. Since your Onyx2 is running an 'upgraded' version of IRIX 6.5, you'll have to upgrade the DIVO/DVC software package to match.

There's a basic run-through on the DIVO/DVC installation process in this post. BTW, the topic there was installing/running an Onyx2 DIVO in an Octane, but the software install process will be the same.

FWIW, I'd recommend you fore go the default install process and instead use the 'Custom' install option in Software Manager. That will allow you the opportunity to see exactly what is or isn't selected for installation (like Orion). Many of the software packages (for hardware options) will have 'extras' that aren't included in a default install.

gandtimo

Unread postby gandtimo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks for the explanations :)
Must have been too late or too hot yesterday. Normally I'm able to install software and READ the conflicts shown :)
cu
gandtimo

gandtimo

Unread postby gandtimo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Now I installed the DIVO/DVC package, but mediarecorder still shows only the option to capture from screen, videoin crashes after a few seconds and Orion crashes the whole X...
Any ideas?
cu
gandtimo

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:48 am

Couple of random thoughts:

* Does the DIVO show up in 'hinv' and '/usr/dmedia/binDIVO/divohinv'?
* Did you run the DIVO hardware diagnostics?
* In some ways DIVO works different than other video options because it connects to system memory, not the graphics system. man(7) divo refers to avcapture(1) "to store large volumes of audio and video data in realtime". Maybe worth a try?
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Return to “SGI: Video”