Does Effect on O2 use M-JPEG compression?

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
colin

Does Effect on O2 use M-JPEG compression?

Unread postby colin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:37 am

I have been thinking about getting an Effect* system, which uses O2 hardware, but I'm wondering... does effect use M-JPEG compression or would I be stuck having to rig together the bandwidth for uncompressed video? I'm pretty sure Jale02 uses M-JPEG.

jdboyd

Re: Does Effect on O2 use M-JPEG compression?

Unread postby jdboyd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:32 am

colin wrote:I have been thinking about getting an Effect* system, which uses O2 hardware, but I'm wondering... does effect use M-JPEG compression or would I be stuck having to rig together the bandwidth for uncompressed video? I'm pretty sure Jale02 uses M-JPEG.

Effect does not use MJPEG.

As to storage, you really are supposed to use the Discreet drive arrays anyway, so you don't really have to worry about rigging together a fast enough array.

If you were using a discreet array, there are plenty of single drives that can saturate UW scsi without an entire array. On my O2, I have 2 such 18 gig seagate drives on two buses striped for very fast performance.

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:50 am

Just bear in mind that effect can be configured to use any drive attached to the system as a framestore, which includes non-discreet drive arrays and even the system drive. A single fast drive, as mentioned, would be enough to provide realtime playback of uncompressed NTSC/PAL video, which requires about 30MB/s of bandwidth.

colin

Unread postby colin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:32 am

Hmm, not sure how I got it in my head that effect used mjpeg. Knowing this, though, I think I would rather seek out an Octane-based system, either Discreet or perhaps with IFX Piranha. Way less rendering time anyway.

Return to “SGI: Video”