Recommendrd camera for Sirius or Galileo video?

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
pentium

Recommendrd camera for Sirius or Galileo video?

Unread postby pentium » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:16 pm

One of the main reasons I am so hellbent on getting video input and compression on my SGIs is that I love take videos (and an SGI can make a good input and effects/editing system) however I can never seem to then digitize the recorded material without some sort of quality loss.
I currently have a Canon L2 Hi8 camcorder which is pretty good but I would prefer to sell it in favor of something more professional and more compatible with both my Sirius anfd Galileo video systems. I was thinking something broadcast qaulity (sony comes to mind) with BNC outputs but I really don't know what to look for as professional head units is a new realm for me and ebay has a lot to offer and I would really like something that is pretty much "plug and play" with one or both of my Video setups.
Any ideas?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

SiliconClassics

Re: Recommendrd camera for Sirius or Galileo video?

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:05 am

Bear in mind that Sirius doesn't do compression. Strange, considering how complex and expensive it was.

So unless you've got a fast disk array that gets at least 30MB/s, and large amounts of money to spend on electricity, you'd be better off using the Galileo system, or better yet, an O2.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:02 am

Most SGI video options weren't meant to be a stand-alone acquisition that would enable a base hardware platform to be used in video production.

SGI based video capture/editing/output was never intended to be trivial where either money or knowledge is concerned. It was a given their target audience would have the resources to purchase all the necessary auxiliary hardware and broadcast quality equipment needed, *and* hire or train a dedicated user/admin/support staff <they were aiming more for hollywood than home>.

Even at the lower end, SGI hardware isn't particularly consumer device friendly. The O2 is often described as "entry-level". This forum is full of posts describing problems capturing video with the O2, even when fairly high-end consumer video equipment was used. The O2 expects you'll provide sufficient storage capacity/bandwidth and video equipment with features that aren't always typical for consumer/prosumer hardware <such as time based correction>

You don't seem to have too many problems acquiring hardware, but might want to spend some time with that stack of SGI manuals before you start acquisition <so you don't find that the cart is on the wrong end of the horse>.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:29 pm

More reading eh?
Oh alright but I'll have to ask my teacher if I can read them instead of novels in class. :)
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

fu

Unread postby fu » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:42 am

(very) well said david

pentium, professional film/video equipment and plug-and-play will never dance cheek-2-cheek

no "auto" button(s), no "one-button capture-edit-go-to-hollywood" mode either

no pun/picking, just some facts to save u time/money/frustration

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 pm

okay then I guess I could at least use it for stuff where I later dub in audio.

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:39 am

A decent route to go might to be pick up an old Beta SP ENG camera off ebay. You can get them for fairly cheap. Beta SP is a fantastic format, and Sirius will love you for feeding it component video.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:31 am

Beta you say?
Well I'll look into it and see what I can buy.

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:42 am

Beta SP specifically. It's a great improvement over Betamax and Betacam.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

fu

Unread postby fu » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:55 pm

are u guys joking..?

directedition wrote:A decent route to go might to be pick up an old Beta SP ENG camera off ebay...

pentium wrote:...Well I'll look into it and see what I can buy.

it depends on your perception of plug-n-play but...

can u drive such a camera?

ever seen a beta sp manual?

dave's reply is pure quality:

entry-level sgi does not mean off the shelf mumbojumbo consumer crap, push button here and the pc does all the magic....

ditto for pro cameras

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:39 pm

ENG cameras really aren't difficult at all. If you want to set it up to use genlock and use more advanced features you might need to read up a bit, but I think the average geek would be able to pick one up and use it on a basic level with no problem.

I guess it depends on your definition of plug and play. Sure, for pro-quality digitizing you'll need to throw up color bars and calibrate your input, but learning to setup color bars literally takes about five minutes. If you're going to go to the trouble of setting up a professional camera to be ingested by Sirius instead of just shooting on a cheap DV camera and ingest it with Windows Movie Maker, you can spare the extra couple hours you'll spend familiarizing yourself with the equipment.
- Jim

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Well, if it's this much of a hassle (in a blue moon a Betacam does appear on ebay for under $200) I can just stick with a Canon L2. Sure it si not the best but I guess it can suit.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm

fu wrote:it depends on your perception of plug-n-play but...

can u drive such a camera?

ever seen a beta sp manual?

dave's reply is pure quality:

entry-level sgi does not mean off the shelf mumbojumbo consumer crap, push button here and the pc does all the magic....

ditto for pro cameras

It's pentium here, not your aunt tillie. I'm sure he's not looking for the easy route if he is trying to use such a setup. Worst case scenario is he burns off his eyebrows or turns his house into a crater.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:37 pm

sybrfreq wrote:It's pentium here, not your aunt tillie. I'm sure he's not looking for the easy route if he is trying to use such a setup. Worst case scenario is he burns off his eyebrows or turns his house into a crater.

Quoted for truth. :)

If I do something, it MUST be overcomplex or overengineered.
Heck, if it just had BNC ports in replacement for RCA jacks I would be happy I guess.

QuicksilverG4

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Can you get multiple simultaneous inputs on either? Galileo's got 3x composite and 3x s-video doesn't it?

Stick cameras around your house and make a surveillance system.

Maybe I just had too much fun with the system at work yesterday - its amazing.

The first thing I ever did with an O2 was hook up a camera I found and try to improvise a way to capture images of DNA gels. O2 worked fine but the idea did not.

Not exactly the video editing you had in mind though it could be if you ever record and use the footage to make a documentary about collecting old technology. :)

Do you have a Cosmo board?

Return to “SGI: Video”