Octane Compression

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
scottE

Octane Compression

Unread postby scottE » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:58 pm

Unless I've missed something really obscure, it appears the Octane compression board will only playback movies that are generated by dmrecord (that is, by itself).

dmconvert is filled with all sorts of examples, but none appear practical. Looks like it's up to the O2.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

indyman007

Re: Octane Compression

Unread postby indyman007 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:58 pm

unless you can sort of convert them!
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:12 am

indyman007 wrote:unless you can sort of convert them!

Unless, yes. Alas, dmconvert appears to want something none of these movies can provide. And I've given up on the O2 as well. MJPEG should have worked (I feel), but there is something apparently missing from non-sgi-generated MJPEG files that sgi hardware needs for playback.

The only surefire way to get dmconvert to work is to dump everything out to fields (or frames) and a soundfile on the Mac side of things--but this is far far too cumbersome, and the more times a movie has to be fiddled with, the poorer the end quality.

Frustrating.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:24 pm

scottE wrote:Unless I've missed something really obscure, it appears the Octane compression board will only playback movies that are generated by dmrecord (that is, by itself).

dmconvert is filled with all sorts of examples, but none appear practical. Looks like it's up to the O2.

That's odd, as I'm sure I've been able to play O2-recorded movies on IMPACT Compression (same tech).

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute!
Donations of any kind of item I can sell to provide funds are also most welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:39 pm

mapesdhs wrote:
scottE wrote:Unless I've missed something really obscure, it appears the Octane compression board will only playback movies that are generated by dmrecord (that is, by itself).

That's odd, as I'm sure I've been able to play O2-recorded movies on IMPACT Compression (same tech).

Ian.

Yes, O2-made movies play fine on Impact compression hardware (and vice-versa).

But neither will play in hardware MJPEG-compressed movies made by the Mac.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:54 pm

scottE writes:
> But neither will play in hardware MJPEG-compressed movies made by the Mac.

Oh, sorry, from your initial post I thought you meant it could only playback movies recorded by Cosmo2.

Yes, movies from a Mac are not handled well, and vice-versa. Something to do with changes in
QuickTime I think, JPEG-wise. Got a funny feeling there's more on this in the Lurkers Video guide.
Perhaps related to ICE/Cosmo only supporting fields rather than full frames? Not sure.

Ian.

QuicksilverG4

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:03 pm

What Mac hardware are you using? Different boards tend to have their own MJPEG formats. Sometimes the hardware comes with a software version that allows the hardware compressed movies to be played back on other computers without the card.

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:45 pm

QuicksilverG4 wrote:What Mac hardware are you using? Different boards tend to have their own MJPEG formats. Sometimes the hardware comes with a software version that allows the hardware compressed movies to be played back on other computers without the card.

Doesn't Quicktime Pro convert/export movies in software (at least, it seems to on my G4 laptop with Leopard)?

If Ian's right (and he probably is), there is little hope of getting Quicktime-made MJPEG movies to play back properly on IRIX iron in hardware.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:27 pm

scottE wrote:If Ian's right (and he probably is), there is little hope of getting Quicktime-made MJPEG movies to play back properly on IRIX iron in hardware.

Of course, there's nothing to stop someone writing new code to support this, all the info is readily available. I wish
I could, but even if I had the time I don't have the right knowledge.

Ian.

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:21 pm

mapesdhs wrote:
scottE wrote:If Ian's right (and he probably is), there is little hope of getting Quicktime-made MJPEG movies to play back properly on IRIX iron in hardware.

Of course, there's nothing to stop someone writing new code to support this, all the info is readily available. I wish
I could, but even if I had the time I don't have the right knowledge.

Ian.

Same here, pretty much. Ah well.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

Return to “SGI: Video”