Digital video I/O with Octane PVO?

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Digital video I/O with Octane PVO?

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:35 am

I'm reading the Octane PVO Programmer's Guide, and this bit caught my attention:
Through connectors on the OCTANE Personal Video board itself, you can
[...]
* receive component digital video from any serial CCIR-601/SMPTE-259M-compliant device
* send Silicon Graphics component digital video from any serial CCIR-601/SMPTE-259M-compliant device

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... ml#id40457 That digital I/O would have to be through the O2 Cam connector, because all other plugs are analog.

And sure enough, if you look up the pinout of the O2 Cam connector in the O2 Workstation Hardware Reference Manual and compare it to the classic DB25 parallel digital video interface, it looks *very* similar. I'm interested in oldskool parallel video I/O (not SDI, although one can be converter into the other with e.g. an AJA converter).

I feel the opportunity for an evil hack coming up 8-)

So, did anybody ever connect anything other than a cam to either Octane PVO or O2 A/V ? Make a conversion cable from O2 Cam to anything else?

Oh, the source of my digital video I/O is none other than my old Predator Rack's VideoLab. It does analog component video, and digital 4:2:2 as well, but parallel, not SDI. I've got nothing that will interface to that. To capture anything from it, I could spend a couple of hundred on AJA converters to get SDI I/O on the system, and then some more on an SDI board for e.g. my Onyx2, or I can attempt to convert that analog component video into something I can capture, but I'd loose quality in the process.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

canavan

Re: Digital video I/O with Octane PVO?

Unread postby canavan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:00 pm

I've got a Miranda VIVO for my O2, the better choice, especially if you want to handle component video would be the DVC U2. The last U2 I've seen on ebay was at least 3 years ago.

I suspect that you can take a paralel digital video source of the proper flavor (601 apparently, not 656) and connect it directly. Maybe some of the Galileo Video BOBs could be connected as well, assuming you can manufacture a suitable cable.

Voralyan

Unread postby Voralyan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:19 am

Intrestingly i remember that digital video input is also possible via the indycam
connector on the indy.

The vino(7) manpage says:
ALTERNATE VINOPRO CONTROL PANEL

There are certain Indy applications that use the IndyCam connector to
support CCIR-601 format. [...]

Now we have to find out what "certain Indy applications" are and where
to get a matching signal source...
Something in my mind says that even the indycam connector is in fact
a standarised digital video connector.
:A3502L: :O2000: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :320: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:
+ | d | i | g | i | t | a | l | +apple +[...] ;)

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:51 am

Voralyan wrote:Something in my mind says that even the indycam connector is in fact a standarised digital video connector.

I think you are right. But an Indy is lacking the bandwidth needed to capture uncompressed video, and that's what I was after.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

jdboyd

Unread postby jdboyd » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:32 pm

jan-jaap wrote:http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... ml#id40457 That digital I/O would have to be through the O2 Cam connector, because all other plugs are analog.

And sure enough, if you look up the pinout of the O2 Cam connector in the O2 Workstation Hardware Reference Manual and compare it to the classic DB25 parallel digital video interface, it looks *very* similar. I'm interested in oldskool parallel video I/O (not SDI, although one can be converter into the other with e.g. an AJA converter).

I feel the opportunity for an evil hack coming up 8-)

So, did anybody ever connect anything other than a cam to either Octane PVO or O2 A/V ? Make a conversion cable from O2 Cam to anything else?

Oh, the source of my digital video I/O is none other than my old Predator Rack's VideoLab. It does analog component video, and digital 4:2:2 as well, but parallel, not SDI. I've got nothing that will interface to that. To capture anything from it, I could spend a couple of hundred on AJA converters to get SDI I/O on the system, and then some more on an SDI board for e.g. my Onyx2, or I can attempt to convert that analog component video into something I can capture, but I'd loose quality in the process.

The O2Cam video IO does not seem to quite be SMPTE-125M (parallel SDI). The clock rate is wrong (24.5Mhz versus 27Mhz). Also, 125M doesn't use HSync/Vsync lines, it uses hsync and vsync control words. Finally, I believe that something it going to have to be done with I2C to fake the O2/Octane into thinking it is a pro-signal instead of the O2Cam, but you could be lucky and find out that if nothing is detected it assumes something more professional is attached.

You are probably looking at a small FPGA or CPLD project. However, if you feel comfortable doing that, it shouldn't be too hard as I suspect that you only need to add in the blanking regions and control bytes, around the incoming data signal, clocked upwards. It might be easiest to use an FPGA with enough ram to buffer an entire frame, but I'm sure it is possible to reason out how to do it with less latency and memory.

The IndyCam, OTOH, I believe actually is real SMPTE-125m.

Return to “SGI: Video”