IP35 Video I/O Board

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
recondas

IP35 Video I/O Board

Unread postby recondas » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:13 am

Included in the list of PCI cards supported for use in an Onyx 300 is one with the SGI marketing code
PCI-VIDAUD-MSB. Also included was SGI's description, Video Audio MPEG-2/DV CODEC, and a "vendor P/N" of Sky Micro Merlin 2001.

The User's Manual for the SkyMicro Merlin2001 offers the following description:
Skymicro’s Merlin 2001 DV and MPEG-2 Recorder and Dual Stream Decoder board is a complete video capture
and playback solution in a single half-sized PCI card. It is ideally suited for applications such as digital video
broadcast, video distribution applications, authoring, and nonlinear editing.

The Merlin 2001 DV and MPEG-2 Recorder and Dual Stream Decoder includes all the software necessary to
record, compress, process and play back audio and video clips in DV and MPEG-2 formats. The audio and video are
treated separately so audio can be added to video at a later time or vice versa. The Merlin board can also play audio
and video at variable speed. Merlin has many elaborate Non Linear Editing feature, one of these is to allow you to
play back two streams of video and then transition from one to the other using many selectable transition effect. By
using a highly sophisticated processor all this can be done in Real Time. Moving from any frame to any other frame
in a video clip is a snap with Merlin. All you need to do in enter a frame number or move a slide control and you are
instantly at the desired frame. You can even give Merlin a play list to specify all the clips you wish to play, and all
the transition effects you wish to occur between your clips with starting and ending frame numbers, and Merlin will
do the rest. Merlin can even convert file to and from DV, MPEG-2 and many other picture and video formats.

SGI's intended use for the PCI-VIDAUD-MSB is discussed in the SGI Media Server™ for Broadcast User's Guide. Since the Merlin 2001 is supported on at least some of the IP35 platforms, it'd be interesting so see if it could be made to work in a Fuel.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IP35 Video I/O Board

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:26 am

Looks like at minimum you'd need SGI's Video Server Technology (VST) software before you could even think about running it ...
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

recondas

Re: IP35 Video I/O Board

Unread postby recondas » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:35 am

nekonoko wrote:Looks like at minimum you'd need SGI's Video Server Technology (VST) software before you could even think about running it ...

True - although I haven't tried an install, there is apparently a demo available:
ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/vst/demo/vst1.2.tar
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Return to “SGI: Video”