Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:38 am 

When I try to use Mediarecorder on my Indy the response of the program is really really slow. It can take a good 30secs or more of a drop down menu to show up or for it to react to me clicking on the media type button. I wondering if this is just how slow my machine is or something else? I forward to X session to another machine and it took some fiddling with the fonts to even get it to work [my Fedora 8 install was missing the fonts that mediarecorder wanted I managed to install 2 of them and then finally I edited the default fonts to get rid the fixed width "Screen-medium-r" that I did not have.]

So the question is is anyone else able to get ok performance [I mean just the GUI not even the frame rate] from mediarecorder over a forwarded X session? Video Panel works fine and I get get a good image out of the indycam with 1/60th and Gain all the way up. But like I said mediarecorder is really really painful.

-Mike

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:11 am 

I forward from an R4600 Indy to an IBM ThinkPad with a lowly 8MB graphics card. It works fine with most apps under both BeOS (on which I have a very rudimentary X server) and FreeBSD (6.2-RELEASE, ie. X.org 6.9). The MediaRecorder uses GLX (OpenGL extension to X11) which BeOS doesn't have, but I think it's only for the actual video stream, not the interface as such. System preferences, fm, nedit, and other apps all run as good if not better than they do on the Indy. MediaRecorder works fine with FreeBSD with GLX enabled, certainly not as slow as you describe.

So, err. It works for me, and out of the box too on FreeBSD. Hope this helps!

You do of course know that the interface, when forwarded over X11, is running on the machine you're sitting at, so if it's sloooow, then the apps you try to run will respond sloooooowly?

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:39 am 

The machine I'm setting at is Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz with blah blah.... So it's not this machine [I hope] and everything else [that I've tried] works fine even the video stream when viewed from Video Panel application.

But thanks for the confirmation that it should work fine, that points to something else messed up. ;P [A hunting I will go, ....]

-Mike

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:34 pm 

Actually, I take that back. It's horribly slow.

I could've sworn I'd tried it where it was fine, though. I'll find something with a composite output and see if it's the IndyCam or video in in general..

Niklas

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:51 pm 

Hm. Found an old digital camera with a composite out for slideshows... it really does seem better when using the analog in.

I wonder if this would be better if you were forwarding to an SGI machine? Could be something about how X handles an OpenGL view...

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:36 pm 

Not sure I seem to remember trying with a analog source also a few months ago just to see and I thought it was working well enough to use but it dropped so many frames that what was capture was useless. But when I tried the Indycam this week [and I've graded desktop hardware since then] it was slow to the point of being unusable.

-Mike

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:13 pm 

I have a better answer now. Mediarecorder over X11 is just slow and does not really work. :D I was able to plug a monitor and keyboard into my Indy [finally] and the mediarecorder worked just fine. [for a 180mhz R5K]

-Mike

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:29 pm 

mgtremaine wrote:
I have a better answer now. Mediarecorder over X11 is just slow and does not really work. :D I was able to plug a monitor and keyboard into my Indy [finally] and the mediarecorder worked just fine. [for a 180mhz R5K]

-Mike

I have said it before and I will say it again... X is a very noisey protocol. Don't expect super performance from it.

Regan