Jahshaka - Anyone try this?

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
bjames

Jahshaka - Anyone try this?

Unread postby bjames » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:13 pm

I cant seem to find out where I can download this. i can only find the discussion forum, but no download page.
:O2: :Octane: :1600SW:

sfpeter1

Re: Jahshaka - Anyone try this?

Unread postby sfpeter1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:19 pm

The sourceforge link still works:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jahshakafx

I tried it on Windows a few years ago, I had trouble getting it to work with Quicktime files but had some potential; I've been waiting for it to mature a bit more before I'd take a serious look at it again.

You may also want to look a Cinelerra, it works on Ubuntu but I don't know if it can be made to work on irix.
I believe in the Man; and more importantly, the Man believes in you.

Apples are good mainly for pie.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:38 pm

bjames wrote:I cant seem to find out where I can download this. i can only find the discussion forum, but no download page.

Try the nekochan search :) - Jah Shaka was a member here.
http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/weblog/archives/000170.html
viewtopic.php?t=1044
The download links in either post still work <but are pointed at jahshaka_sgi_1.9a3.tar.gz>.
There was at least a 1.9a5 release, according to my backup list I've got a copy archived on tape somewhere. I googled jashaka + IRIX and found a d/l link for 1.9a5 - looks like it might have been the last IRIX version:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=32439
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

jdboyd

Unread postby jdboyd » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:29 pm

sfpeter1 wrote:The sourceforge link still works:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jahshakafx

I tried it on Windows a few years ago, I had trouble getting it to work with Quicktime files but had some potential; I've been waiting for it to mature a bit more before I'd take a serious look at it again.

You may also want to look a Cinelerra, it works on Ubuntu but I don't know if it can be made to work on irix.

I find it hard to believe that Jahshaka will ever mature.

There are only two programs that seem to have potential. One program is OpenME. As it is based on libquicktime and FLTK, there might be a prayer of getting it onto Irix, but I don't think anyone has ever attempted it. I would really love to see this guy get more help because I don't think there is any other free video software with as much potential.

There is also Cinelerra. No chance of it ever running on Irix, but it does appear somewhat useful. It also is moving very slowly. I think that it has a bad code base that makes it hard to improve, but I don't know that for certain.

bjames

Unread postby bjames » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:55 am

Just downloaded the 1.9a5.tar.gz file, Do I use software manger to install? I havent installed programs downloaded from the net before as everythign I have installed have ben from distribution CDs.
:O2: :Octane: :1600SW:

jdboyd

Unread postby jdboyd » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:12 am

bjames wrote:Just downloaded the 1.9a5.tar.gz file, Do I use software manger to install? I havent installed programs downloaded from the net before as everythign I have installed have ben from distribution CDs.

No, you don't use software manager.

You need to untar the package. tar xfz 1.9a5.tar.gz will do the trick. Then enter the created (hopefully) directory, and look for something with further directions, possibly a file named README or INSTALL.

Return to “SGI: Video”