Inferno 2007 on Onyx2

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Jerome21

Inferno 2007 on Onyx2

Unread postby Jerome21 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:11 am

Hi,
is it possible to install Inferno 2007 on my Onyx2 system. I am using 6.4 version now and before speaking with discreet I wanted to check if this is possible. And "YES" I know that officially is not supported, but I am sure if it is possible they won't refuse my cash for the upgrade :-). Thank you

anotheradamdickson

Re: Inferno 2007 on Onyx2

Unread postby anotheradamdickson » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:38 am

Jerome21 wrote:Hi,
is it possible to install Inferno 2007 on my Onyx2 system. I am using 6.4 version now and before speaking with discreet I wanted to check if this is possible. And "YES" I know that officially is not supported, but I am sure if it is possible they won't refuse my cash for the upgrade :-). Thank you

Yeap - Inferno does run on Onyx2's. However the older 5.x versions seemed to have special versions for the Onyx's and their gfx options. However it looks like 6.X has unified everything in to one version

Can anybody weigh in on weather there are different Inferno disto's and binaries for the different Oynx/gfx options ?????

You'll have to go through to entire framstore song and dance though - so you (normally) can't just use standard hard disks
(just mentioning it because it sounds like your adding it to a machine/moving up to a Oynx - and you'ld need to build a framestore or bring a framestore to the Oynx2 from whatever your using now. The anywhere near recent Discreet apps no longer support using IRIX/XFS filesystem based framestores and either need blessed hard disks or a license)

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:20 am

I'm a bit curious about this Discreet disk thing that keeps popping up. It sounds like the special disks are only available from Discreet- is there any valid technical reason for using special disks or is it just your basic extortion?
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Jerome21

Unread postby Jerome21 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:27 am

anotheradamdickson wrote:

Yeap - Inferno does run on Onyx2's. However the older 5.x versions seemed to have special versions for the Onyx's and their gfx options. However it looks like 6.X has unified everything in to one version

Can anybody weigh in on weather there are different Inferno disto's and binaries for the different Oynx/gfx options ?????

You'll have to go through to entire framstore song and dance though - so you (normally) can't just use standard hard disks
(just mentioning it because it sounds like your adding it to a machine/moving up to a Oynx - and you'ld need to build a framestore or bring a framestore to the Oynx2 from whatever your using now. The anywhere near recent Discreet apps no longer support using IRIX/XFS filesystem based framestores and either need blessed hard disks or a license)

Thank you for the fast response. I have 4 stones at the moment and they are R-series. What do you think, will they work with Inferno 2007 or I must go up and upgrade to IR-series of stone?

anotheradamdickson

Unread postby anotheradamdickson » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:30 am

Jerome21 wrote:
anotheradamdickson wrote:

Thank you for the fast response. I have 4 stones at the moment and they are R-series. What do you think, will they work with Inferno 2007 or I must go up and upgrade to IR-series of stone?

Yeah 4 stones will be kind of short. And the R series is just SCSI right ?????
I's exceedingly unlikely your going to be able to use this for realtime input/output and editing would be very slow

Yeah, you could really use some sort of upgrade. I'm not 'up' on the office stones/enclosure types but IR si Fiber Channel right ??

'FC" is the way to go and is much cheaper, will give you faster easy performance and is much more upgradeable without replacing everything

With fiber channel (plain old FCAL) without a switch you can have upto 127 device on the channel and as you add devices you could split the channels to get more bandwidth

If your using something like a QL2200 or other fabric capable controller would give you thousands of devices that you could spread dynamicly over a bunch of channels for speed and reliability

Jerome21

Unread postby Jerome21 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:04 am

R-Series is Fc as well. I have 64 stone drives devided by 4 stones enclosures. I have 2 dual port copper fibre channel cards in the Onyx2. So I am using 2 loops per channel. Is that ok for Inferno 2007? Thanks

choza

Unread postby choza » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:28 pm

mmhhh, i guess you should calculate the required speed and capacity approx. by thinking about the video quality and how much time you will store/use. If I'm not missing something, its not a matter of which software you will be using, but how much video time and quality.
Here is a handy calculator: Calculator
Now that you have in mind how much storage you need, you need to think how to access that storage, I mean, how you separate that capacity to get the best speed of it or the required Mbps. There are some benchmarks over here and experiments from many users, The Keeper is the one to ask about this, he is the one that has more knowledge and experience here.
Well, I know its not the answer to your question, will the software work?, I guess yes, how it will work? depends on how much video (and quality) you will be working with.
good luck

ps: correct me if im wrong, not an expert this side :D

Return to “SGI: Video”