MPEG/VOB/DIVX on Irix

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
max_impact

MPEG/VOB/DIVX on Irix

Unread postby max_impact » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:09 am

OK - first of all, I want to point out that I'm not being critical in any way about the software I want to discuss below! I have the utmost respect for the authors, especially Brandon of IrixDivx fame for putting so much time and effort into software for such an obscure platform 8)

Now, I'd previously been watching a number of Divx movies using mplayer mainly because I don't have texture ram and software mode is the way to go on this machine. And then, with much fanfare, Brandon makes the cutting-edge irixdivx available.

So anyway, I can't seem to play much on this version of irixdivx, the Simpsons clip plays fantastic with no slow down when scaled to 2x or 3x - this is fantastic, btw! However, I haven't yet convinced it to play any other of my other movies, be they .mpg, .vob (ripped from my own DVDs I hasten to add) or .avi - I always end up with:

Unsupported Video Codec
Error initializing AVI decoder!

or just a crash :wink:

My question is (and I didn't want to waste the authors time with this stupid question): can people post their experience with different file formats and codec versions here so we can build up a list of 'known good' codecs to use... I'd like to encode some stuff to watch on my desktop and I don't want to fire up the linux pc to do it...

(actually, I tell a little lie - I have an anime mpeg movie that plays fine - what more could we want, eh?)

brandon

Unread postby brandon » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:19 am

First of all, I have better codec support in my "working" version. As noted in the README, I wanted to get this out to try and have people hammer at it. I will hopefully be releasing another version in a few weeks with some more (including DiVX 3.xx) codecs available.

That being said, PLEASE tell me when something doesn't work. I can only fix what I know to be broken. It could be something as stupid as an unusual header in the start code of the MPEG video. You wouldn't believe how many fixes I've had to apply by means of encoders out there (whatever encoded the original video) that stray from the MPEG standards.

If there is a segfault, bus error, no video, bad video, etc.. I need to know about it. If it comes up and says the codec is unsupported, that's a different story (with the exception of MPEG Streams).

To summary, I encourage people to contact me in regards to IRIXDiVX.

Brandon
mailto:bcorey@blackboxcentral.com

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:39 am

I have had varying luck with varying AVI's...
Some (which for example, mplayer will play) will just say AVI Not Valid (My mission hill episodes that my friend encoded for me, for example). In fact, just about all of my AVI's say that...
The ones that don't are using the 3.11 codec which isn't yet supporte...

Mpegs will play (well, 99% of them that I have, I'm sure the rest are just corrupt somehow)...
Unfortunately, the video is horridly slow with audio on, getting a lot of Audio underflow, and with audio off (-n option) it just Segfaults...

This is on a 175mhz R10k SGI O2 running Irix 6.5.18m, with 256mb of ram

Hopefully any of this info will help?

max_impact

Unread postby max_impact » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:53 am

brandon wrote:First of all, I have better codec support in my "working" version. As noted in the README, I wanted to get this out to try and have people hammer at it. I will hopefully be releasing another version in a few weeks with some more (including DiVX 3.xx) codecs available.

Having the extra codec support will be really cool, it's an exciting time for Irix on the desktop 8)

That being said, PLEASE tell me when something doesn't work. I can only fix what I know to be broken. It could be something as stupid as an unusual header in the start code of the MPEG video. You wouldn't believe how many fixes I've had to apply by means of encoders out there (whatever encoded the original video) that stray from the MPEG standards.

If there is a segfault, bus error, no video, bad video, etc.. I need to know about it. If it comes up and says the codec is unsupported, that's a different story (with the exception of MPEG Streams).

Brandon

OK - I'll play with my files some more once I'm done with work and see if I can narrow down any non-codec related things. Do you have enough testers?!?

Which codec versions are supported at the moment? I haven't successfully got any divx files that I've encoded to work (not that that means anything though!).

brandon

Unread postby brandon » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:53 pm

vegac wrote:I have had varying luck with varying AVI's...
Some (which for example, mplayer will play) will just say AVI Not Valid (My mission hill episodes that my friend encoded for me, for example). In fact, just about all of my AVI's say that...
The ones that don't are using the 3.11 codec which isn't yet supporte...

Mpegs will play (well, 99% of them that I have, I'm sure the rest are just corrupt somehow)...
Unfortunately, the video is horridly slow with audio on, getting a lot of Audio underflow, and with audio off (-n option) it just Segfaults...

This is on a 175mhz R10k SGI O2 running Irix 6.5.18m, with 256mb of ram

Hopefully any of this info will help?

Definitely helpful. As far as the AVI's are concerned, I'd love a link to them. Can you submit a bug on my site with either the movie and/or the link (http://www.blackboxcentral.com/sgimonke ... cking.html).

As for the MPEG issue.. I just fixed the audio off (-n option). I had added some code for USB audio support that was getting called when the nosound option was set (that's where the segfault was occuring). The O2 is very crash prone to these types of errors due to the architecture. I wasn't having that problem on my test system..

As for the audio, I'll have to look into that.. First of all I'd like to know what type of MPEG you're running. If you're running MPEG2 with a high bitrate, you're going to have speed issues on an O2. Try running it with the -s6 option and see if that clears up the audio underflow. I'm not
sure of any immediate inherit audio problems on the O2. I just tested
a MPEG1 1150kbps on my O2 here, and it sounded fine.

Please feel free to email me and or post bugs if you find any. That goes for anyone. I'll also try and get a new version up tonight or tomorrow. I've fixed a few bugs in the last day or two thanks to some user input.

Brandon

brandon

Unread postby brandon » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:06 pm

max_impact wrote:
brandon wrote:First of all, I have better codec support in my "working" version. As noted in the README, I wanted to get this out to try and have people hammer at it. I will hopefully be releasing another version in a few weeks with some more (including DiVX 3.xx) codecs available.

Having the extra codec support will be really cool, it's an exciting time for Irix on the desktop 8)

Brandon

OK - I'll play with my files some more once I'm done with work and see if I can narrow down any non-codec related things. Do you have enough testers?!?

Which codec versions are supported at the moment? I haven't successfully got any divx files that I've encoded to work (not that that means anything though!).

If you're willing to test, please contact me. I'm always happy to have people help me test. As far as the codec's are concerned, DiVX 4 is fully supported.

The following link is to the DiVX 4.12 player and encoder (lastest) for Windows: http://www.divxconnection.com/downloads ... bundle.exe

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:21 am

Hmm. I can get IrixDivx (this is the previous version) to play MPEGs, but I get no sound. The AC3 test works fine. I haven't been able to find any usable Divx files to test. This is on an Indigo 2 with IRIX 6.5.17
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

max_impact

Unread postby max_impact » Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:07 am

Thanks Brandon!

I've encoded some sequences using Divx 4.12 and they work beautifully once deinterlaced (interlacing gives some color bleeding and green flicker on the right hand side).

For others out here, on a modest machine (R10k) you should be able to happily play 1/4 DVD resolution ie 360x240 with MP3 audio without any problems, and scaling to 2x or 3x is fun if you have a little juice left over 8)

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:50 am

Alright, for the mpegs before that were just giving a stream of Audio Underrun errors, they're now running find (I don't know why, but they are). Unfortunately I can't do anything with the system while it's playing or the movie gets off sync...

brandon: I'm going ot email you a url of a movie (warning it's about 120mb...) that's giving me that Invalid AVI error, after determing the codec and everything...

brandon

Unread postby brandon » Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:39 pm

vegac wrote:Alright, for the mpegs before that were just giving a stream of Audio Underrun errors, they're now running find (I don't know why, but they are). Unfortunately I can't do anything with the system while it's playing or the movie gets off sync...

brandon: I'm going ot email you a url of a movie (warning it's about 120mb...) that's giving me that Invalid AVI error, after determing the codec and everything...

You might have had a lot of stuff running in the backround before. It may have been an issue with the sync code (which I'm currently fixing up).

Please do send me the info on that AVI. You can file a bug (easier to keep track of) at:

http://www.blackboxcentral.com/sgimonke ... cking.html

Brandon

Return to “SGI: Video”