Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Forum rules


Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:54 pm
Posts: 975
Thankfully, we live in a world where SSDs are cheaper than memory.

_________________
:Onyx2:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:07 am
Posts: 4226
Location: Rosario / Santa Fe / República Argentina
mia wrote:
Thankfully, we live in a world where SSDs are cheaper than memory.


Sure, that's what I thought... and a lot more massive into a max-capacity sense, so, it is a win-win.
Just a quick question... how do you interface them with a MIPS/IRIX box? Any SATA-To-SCSI adapter, or is at some place a list of compatable adapters?

_________________
Oh!, let me write that!

https://www.facebook.com/GeekTronix
https://geekli.st/GeekTronixShop
https://www.rebelmouse.com/GeekTronixShop/
http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
http://www.youtube.com/GeekTronixStream


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:54 pm
Posts: 975
GeneratriX wrote:
mia wrote:
Thankfully, we live in a world where SSDs are cheaper than memory.


Sure, that's what I thought... and a lot more massive into a max-capacity sense, so, it is a win-win.
Just a quick question... how do you interface them with a MIPS/IRIX box? Any SATA-To-SCSI adapter, or is at some place a list of compatable adapters?


The idea is from the Jedi SGI master Ian.

"ACARD ARS-2320S SCSI 80pin Hard Drive Bridge Ultra320" (~$200).

Of course, if you can directly wire them to a LSI card, you're golden, but you can't boot from it, so this implies pci-x and more drives, local or remote or a bootp() server.


Mia

_________________
:Onyx2:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:07 am
Posts: 4226
Location: Rosario / Santa Fe / República Argentina
mia wrote:
The idea is from the Jedi SGI master Ian.

"ACARD ARS-2320S SCSI 80pin Hard Drive Bridge Ultra320" (~$200).

Of course, if you can directly wire them to a LSI card, you're golden, but you can't boot from it, so this implies pci-x and more drives, local or remote or a bootp() server.


Mia


Oh, good! I was not all that far then! I thought about use the ACARD 68pin variant to avoid the sled part for the Octane and all the rest, using it as an external drive with their own power supply, to mount either '/home' partition or just a random data partition... I guess it worth to try the cheaper route here because I noticed there are also other brand with some (a lot) cheaper SATA-To-SCSI adapters too.

_________________
Oh!, let me write that!

https://www.facebook.com/GeekTronix
https://geekli.st/GeekTronixShop
https://www.rebelmouse.com/GeekTronixShop/
http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
http://www.youtube.com/GeekTronixStream


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:54 pm
Posts: 975
GeneratriX wrote:
mia wrote:
The idea is from the Jedi SGI master Ian.

"ACARD ARS-2320S SCSI 80pin Hard Drive Bridge Ultra320" (~$200).

Of course, if you can directly wire them to a LSI card, you're golden, but you can't boot from it, so this implies pci-x and more drives, local or remote or a bootp() server.


Mia


Oh, good! I was not all that far then! I thought about use the ACARD 68pin variant to avoid the sled part for the Octane and all the rest, using it as an external drive with their own power supply, to mount either '/home' partition or just a random data partition... I guess it worth to try the cheaper route here because I noticed there are also other brand with some (a lot) cheaper SATA-To-SCSI adapters too.


Be aware that *a bridge* (any bridge, SCSI2SATA, SCSI2FC, whatever) reduces your throughput, but in the case of a workstation it's not the end of the world. It's super convenient too.

_________________
:Onyx2:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:07 am
Posts: 4226
Location: Rosario / Santa Fe / República Argentina
mia wrote:
Be aware that *a bridge* (any bridge, SCSI2SATA, SCSI2FC, whatever) reduces your throughput, but in the case of a workstation it's not the end of the world. It's super convenient too.


Sure, I know. No problem at all, I don't use IRIX for animation or video anymore. It seems it is time to check what are the candidates into the local marketplace and choose some stuff to try. Ian talked to me about the best stuff to search for a few minutes ago. Thanks in advance to both! ;)
All the best,
Diego

_________________
Oh!, let me write that!

https://www.facebook.com/GeekTronix
https://geekli.st/GeekTronixShop
https://www.rebelmouse.com/GeekTronixShop/
http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
http://www.youtube.com/GeekTronixStream


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 9449
GeneratriX wrote:
I thought about use the ACARD 68pin variant to avoid the sled part for the Octane and all the rest, using it as an external drive with their own power supply, to mount either '/home' partition or just a random data partition... I guess it worth to try the cheaper route here because I noticed there are also other brand with some (a lot) cheaper SATA-To-SCSI adapters too.

Don't forget the firewire option, although on an Octane I can't verify how well it would work.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:07 am
Posts: 4226
Location: Rosario / Santa Fe / República Argentina
hamei wrote:
Don't forget the firewire option, although on an Octane I can't verify how well it would work.


Hello there, Hamei!

...well, to be honest, even if SSD looks way interesting... in fact now I'm thinking to not even use SSD!

Why to go for SSD if anyway I'll not do animation or video? And after all it will be limited to 100MB/Sec, so, it will not use the whole bandwidth or data rate from the drive... and it will require some special variety of drive, not older, not newer... etc.

For my own use, looks a lot more sensible just go for the adapters that Ian kindly suggested, which are available in my country, and just add one or two very big conventional SATA drives... and that's all.

I really like the world of MIPS/IRIX but I want to leave out of the equation as much custom/propietary/special stuff as I can... because if not I'll finish again tired of fighting the windmills again! ;)

Be careful, I'm not saying that the SSD option is bad or anything like that; in fact it is a lot better than the route I think to take... but considering I'm located in Argentina, I think it will be the most sensible choice. This way I can just go to the marketplace, pick-up the parts, and... with a bit of luck... get everything assembled in a few days! No custom house pain at all! :)

All the best,
Diego

_________________
Oh!, let me write that!

https://www.facebook.com/GeekTronix
https://geekli.st/GeekTronixShop
https://www.rebelmouse.com/GeekTronixShop/
http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
http://www.youtube.com/GeekTronixStream


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA, NA, Earth, Sol
Would still be nice to archive this code someplace accessible, if somebody turns up a copy.

_________________
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group