Machine code viewer?

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
OSWebman
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:20 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Machine code viewer?

Unread postby OSWebman » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:17 pm

I was curious if there was a open/free program out there that would allow me to see the machine code and binary commands being executed on my CPU in real time. Any links are apreciated.

User avatar
dexter1
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:57 am
Location: Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

Unread postby dexter1 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:45 am

hmmm, only a debugger like CVD can follow machine code, and realtime would be impractical because of the enormous speed.

Either that, or an emulator like SPIM can give you some inside details on how code is executed. And believe me, it IS odd.

F.I. because an SGI machine is a RISC machine, following machine code is confusing, because MIPS can feed and operate two instructions at the same time. On countless occasions, i set the breakpoint on the first opcode, not knowing that the second opcode following the first was executed as well. Uh-huh. Or was it the other way around?..

User avatar
Hakimoto
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2580
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:29 am
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands, Europe
Contact:

Unread postby Hakimoto » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:36 am

How cool would it be to have a proggy that displays a schematic of the processor and like lights up the segment being used at the time in RT or less? OK... that´s a long shot, and I can´t program stuff like that, so I suppose it´ll stay a dream.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.


Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

User avatar
akimmet
Donor
Donor
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:39 am
Location: Middle Of Nowhere, OH, US

Unread postby akimmet » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:41 am

Hakimoto wrote:How cool would it be to have a proggy that displays a schematic of the processor and like lights up the segment being used at the time in RT or less? OK... that´s a long shot, and I can´t program stuff like that, so I suppose it´ll stay a dream.


Cool, yes . Almost completly impossible, also yes. (unless you want a 100Hz processor and I'm sure you don't) Not to mention the schematic of even the z80 would be incredibly huge...

User avatar
somecodemonkey
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon May 19, 2003 12:51 pm
Location: Oxford UK
Contact:

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:04 am

ah just write something with lots of flashing lights and techy sounds and show it to CEOs of IT companies they will bite your hand off for it :wink:
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

vegac
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:34 am
Contact:

Unread postby vegac » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:31 pm

Realtime machine code display is impossible, because it would take more than 1 instruction to display 1 instruction, so as soon as you run one instruction it would try to display that, but then it'd run the first instruction of the displaying code which would then display the first line of the displaying code etc.

Infinite loops are fun :)

User avatar
Hakimoto
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2580
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:29 am
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands, Europe
Contact:

Unread postby Hakimoto » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:38 am

How about a geek add-on for our SGIs, with an extra dedicated "RT mcode visualization"(TM) system, extra processor, parallel science fiction spliced processor front side bus bla blah... hahahaha.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.


Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

User avatar
somecodemonkey
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon May 19, 2003 12:51 pm
Location: Oxford UK
Contact:

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:56 am

just use movie OS from userfriendly.org, just like the movies you can do anything without any accual effort or realism
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

User avatar
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8145
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:31 am
Location: Pleasanton, California
Contact:

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:59 am

somecodemonkey wrote:just use movie OS from userfriendly.org, just like the movies you can do anything without any accual effort or realism


Yep :lol:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20010111
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.


Return to “SGI: Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests