mips pro compiler

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mr_ripley

Unread postby mr_ripley » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:59 am

AFAIK binaries produced with Mips CC are around 30% faster than GCC on average.

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:48 am

I wonder how true that remains to be as both applications become more over-intensive, and GCC continues in development.

I mean, yes MipsPRO is shown to be faster, but is it noticeable in "standard" apps (figure, an average GTK program or whatever). And how is GCC's continuing development going? Are apps compiled with gcc 3.3 or whatever, faster than those compiled with 2.95?

Just some questions that I'm guessing people will have opinions about but hard to find rock-solid-facts on

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:09 pm

wolflord wrote:No, it's actually quite simple...in summary:

For mipspro 7.3(any compiler), you need the Dev. Foundation 1.2 CD aswell as the compiler cd, eg. MipsPro C/C++/F77/F90.

With regard to you "really" wanting the C++ compiler...do you compile any C++ code? If you don't than just the C compiler cd is fine. So I don't see how the C compiler cd "won't do you any good".

GCC is fine for most things, but some software just won't compile with GCC on irix machines...so it can be usefull to have a MipsPro compiler around as well.

You best bet is to wait for a full 7.3 compiler set to come up for auction..then you'll have what you need. I went thru the problems of just getting the C compiler cd for 7.3 with a batch of older 7.2.1 cd for cheap, and then couldn't install 7.3 because I didn't have the right version of the Dev. Foundations.

Yuk. That's what I'll probably do; just hold off until I can locate the entire compiler set, which If I'm correct will include the Dev.Foundations cd. Right?

0ctane

Unread postby 0ctane » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:12 pm

From my experience, just having the software was not enough. Since the mipspro compilers are licensed through flexlm, you need to obtain a license to compile anything. I know that getting a license from SGI can be pretty expensive. Am I completely off the ball here? Have people been able to use the 7.3 compilers without a license?

shrek

Unread postby shrek » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:24 am

You will need a license. But if you don't care for a legal license... you might want to search google groups :D

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:25 am

The C compiler will run without a license though it will display nag text during compilation. C++ requires a license.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:19 am

From my experiance neither the C or C++ compilers(7.2.1 and 7.3.x) don't require a license. I currently have both(both versions as well) and they work fine without a license. They both just have the nag text during compile time. The new 7.4 compilers do require a license though to compile.
Last edited by wolflord on Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:35 pm

Whenever I tried to use cc (MIPS Pro), I got licence warnings and then it would die. I have 6.5.17m installed, I´m not sure if it´s MIPS Pro 7.4 though.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:32 pm

Hakimoto wrote:Whenever I tried to use cc (MIPS Pro), I got licence warnings and then it would die. I have 6.5.17m installed, I´m not sure if it´s MIPS Pro 7.4 though.

You probaly don't have the front ends installed. And unless you installed 7.4 you don't have it...same for 7.3. Likewise for the front ends to 7.2.1
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

buggzz

Unread postby buggzz » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:12 pm

nekonoko wrote:The C compiler will run without a license though it will display nag text during compilation. C++ requires a license.

Ok, so this is confusing, I have a 10 CD set with Dev foundation and Libraries and MIPSpro C compiler 7.3. I also have a 10 CD set for MIPSpro C++7.3. The C++ set has an 'entitlement' ID with it, brand new, never opened. What if anything do I need to license through SGI? Will SGI license it without a support agreement, and if not, what do I do?

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:08 pm

buggzz wrote:
nekonoko wrote:The C compiler will run without a license though it will display nag text during compilation. C++ requires a license.

Ok, so this is confusing, I have a 10 CD set with Dev foundation and Libraries and MIPSpro C compiler 7.3. I also have a 10 CD set for MIPSpro C++7.3. The C++ set has an 'entitlement' ID with it, brand new, never opened. What if anything do I need to license through SGI? Will SGI license it without a support agreement, and if not, what do I do?

Who knows? Get some dice, roll 'em, that's the best way to find out. I've talked with so many different people about this and receved so many different answers that it's ridicules. People wonder why proprietary Unix vendors' are just about dead..

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:46 pm

In order to install the Dev. Foundation disks, one would also need a license, correct? You can't just "obtain" the disks, load the software manager, and install it, right? :?

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:56 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure you CAN just load up swmgr and install it.
The problem (if any) will come at run time when it can't find a valid license and it starts complaining about it

buggzz

Unread postby buggzz » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:05 pm

semi-fly wrote:In order to install the Dev. Foundation disks, one would also need a license, correct? You can't just "obtain" the disks, load the software manager, and install it, right? :?

Idunno, I am off work now, and 'rolling the dice' I will let you know. As to whether this is legal or not, I can't say.
--- "I am Dyslexic of Borg, Prepare to have your ass laminated."

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:18 pm

Please let me know how this works out...

Return to “SGI: Development”