Nekoware #1

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
shumiyao

Re: g2off feedback

Unread postby shumiyao » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:22 pm

squeen wrote:<!...>

Thank you!

I had been wondering what <!....> meant. BTW, isn't it a good idea to share the all_in_one.tar.bz2 file via gnutella and so on? That is a really HUGE file. I was thinking that p2p could be used for other than sharing StarTrek_Enter (omitted

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:38 pm

I really like the idea and it's a good direction. SGI's freeware is often outdated, long release intervals, and we really don't know how much longer it's going to last. I'll try to get my SGI articles back up with the stuff about how to make tardists etc. I also want to learn MIPSpro. I'm a long time veteran of './configure && make && make install' and I'll bet most newbies will be as well. Where can I find resources on porting Linux software to IRIX? Is there a similar routine to './configure && make' that I can use?
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:35 pm

Congrats Gentlemen!

I would like to contribute in some way to your effort, which essentially boils down to preparing small tardist for small stuff, cause i'm obviously too dumb to fix Celestia/Quakeforge compiles :/

So if you can find it in your humble hearts to let me in, i won't let you down :)

whiter

Unread postby whiter » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:45 pm

cool

looks real great! Very nice job. I'm sure many peeps will enjoy it.

and meanwhile I'm still stuck here with this fucking glib 2.3.2 that seems to compile/install on everyones system but just not mine. g*dd*mm*t
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

cosmos

nothing to see here

Unread postby cosmos » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:16 pm

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:10 am

I offer my congratulations to you guys.

I guess whenever I create/update any tardists I'll make them use the new prefix.

Regards,

Nik.

whiter

Unread postby whiter » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:56 am

I am actualy most interested in the original source code plus the patches.
Are they included in those tardists? (I can't look inside them on those stupid windows PC's overhere)

I want to compile all things myself in my own locations with own optimization settings, so if the source/patches are included I would be very happy to benefit from all your extremely great work. A MAYOR release from the nekochan community.
Thanks all.
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

bobflappy

Unread postby bobflappy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:22 am

Congratulations to all of you, great things happen here! :o

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:34 am

wow!
Am going to have a busy night installing this stuff after Taekwon-do training :D

shumiyao

Unread postby shumiyao » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:34 am

whiter wrote:the patches.

I agree.

It would consequently make all of us happy especially when specific needs are not benefitial to everyone; or when someone wants to contribute to the amelioration processes through feedbacks.

I personally want (need) to try adding xim support in several apps. Because Worldview's Wnn7 (from 6.5.16) seems to be causing crash on gtk2 apps. There is a gtk2 Input Method app I might want to try this spring break. Even though I have quite a low rate of success for compiling softwares on IRIX. :(

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:30 am

nvukovlj wrote:I offer my congratulations to you guys.

I guess whenever I create/update any tardists I'll make them use the new prefix.

Regards,

Nik.

yep, that'd be great if people could use the 'neko' prefix when subbmitting apps, however the prefix should probably be used only with Nekoware, IE software that is totally sgi freeware independent. :)
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.

sincil

Unread postby sincil » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:03 am

Looking at the full list of packages it may seem a bit much but, as unlikely as it seems, you need all of them to work up our top level applications -- two of the crown jewels of the open source movement -- GIMP-2.0pre2 and AbiWord-2.0.2. (We threw in a few others for good measure: gaim-0.75, xchat-2.0.7, gthumb-2.2.1, glade-2.0.1, gFTP-2.0.16, Dia-0.92 and gnumeric-1.2.6.

Firstly, great work, much appreciated!
Can you just clarify for me (my IRIX machine is at home!) - If I only wanted to install gaim-0.75 - would I still need ALL of the 400MB package? Or is that just for The GIMP and Abiword?

Thanks

LoWeN

Unread postby LoWeN » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:46 am

Hello,

Really nice job.

Is all of those compiled with Mipspro or gcc?

@+

LoWeN
UX powered

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:06 am

sincil wrote:
Looking at the full list of packages it may seem a bit much but, as unlikely as it seems, you need all of them to work up our top level applications -- two of the crown jewels of the open source movement -- GIMP-2.0pre2 and AbiWord-2.0.2. (We threw in a few others for good measure: gaim-0.75, xchat-2.0.7, gthumb-2.2.1, glade-2.0.1, gFTP-2.0.16, Dia-0.92 and gnumeric-1.2.6.

Firstly, great work, much appreciated!
Can you just clarify for me (my IRIX machine is at home!) - If I only wanted to install gaim-0.75 - would I still need ALL of the 400MB package? Or is that just for The GIMP and Abiword?

Thanks

you'll need gtk+, glib, gtkspell, aspell, perl, pango and all that they require
for and gaim .75. So, you probably won't have to install the entire nekoware set.
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.

LoWeN

Unread postby LoWeN » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:55 am

Hello,

One more question to go :
Why didn't you put the libraries in lib32 since it is n32???

In everycase it is a really great job.

@+

LoWeN
UX powered

Return to “SGI: Development”