Pascal

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Pascal

Unread postby hamei » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:23 am

very last line on the page :

http://www.freepascal.org/future.html

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:51 am

Well, you could always go for GNU Pascal (gpc), http://www.gnu-pascal.de/gpc/h-index.html
Several (5 or 6) years ago, I worked on that compiler and even in those days it ran on IRIX.

I know Debian has a package of it for MIPS/Linux so it's probably still possible to build it on IRIX. I wouldn't know; I haven't used Pascal in years...

foetz

Re: Pascal

Unread postby foetz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:21 pm

ivelegacy wrote:how to make it to work under Irix ?
i got a lot of error because libraries are missing

e.g. crt1, crtbegin, etc

well then search your cds :P

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:27 pm

ivelegacy wrote:CDs ? which CD ? the GNU Pascal Compiler is not built in any CD !

you said you're a developer so you know the difference between each part of a compiler e.g. frontend etc.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:31 pm

foetz wrote:you said you're a developer so you know the difference between each part of a compiler e.g. frontend etc.

Not to rain on ivelegacy at all, but he seems to not understand English the best, so I think he's not getting that he's missing dependencies for GNU Pascal off the CDs for IRIX, but Pascal itself isn't on the CDs of course. Kinda Development 1O1 here for IRIX.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:39 pm

These guys claim to be porting Freepascal to the MIPS architcture, could be worth a shot. Me, I've never even seen a line of Pascal! :mrgreen:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fpc-mips/
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:06 pm

I was taught pascal as a predecessor to C, C++, it's quite cute, but I never touched it again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:15 pm

TeamBlackFox wrote:I think he's not getting that he's missing dependencies for GNU Pascal off the CDs for IRIX, but Pascal itself isn't on the CDs of course

and exactly that is the same for all the unix flavors including linux. compilers always need certain additional stuff from the os that's not installed by default usually so every developer knows that no matter his native language. real language that is not the programming language :P

anyway ivelegacy, bottom line is whatever is missing in this case is likely part of the dev packages hence my hint to check out whatever dev cds you have :-)

thegoldbug

Unread postby thegoldbug » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:49 pm

I took Pascal back in the 80s while in school and then later when Turbo Pascal came out for Windows. I really like the language but sadly only do some Python coding to support the commercial software we have a work. I'd be interested in any progress you make.

For the record, I have two IRIX ADA CDs: 1) ADA95 Compiler 1.1 (says GNAT_dev 1.1 and GNAT_eoe 1.1) and 2) Workshop ADA Extensions 1.1.

I acquired them a long while ago when a friend was going to do some coding in ADA but that project fell through.

I haven't tried to install them so I don't know what if anything might be missing.

I'd be happy to send them to someone who will provide a better home and use them.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:01 pm

ivelegacy wrote:try ADA, try GNAT :mrgreen:
Avionics industries are using it, i was using it in my previous job for aircraft control unit tests.
ADA is a bit pedantic, but amazing and really safe.

I do automotive firmware and we use CoDeSys which is very similar syntactically to pascal (targeting EV supervisory controllers, similar to an automotive BCM or PLC-type machines).

My one complaint is that while I don't have anything against hungarian notation, our target libraries use "systems" type, not "apps" type hungarian notation. So what I do is both, type prefix first and then a more useful prefix (typically whatever the name of the interfacing node is, my controller has to interface with many different nodes on the network,etc). Further reading: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html

I think to the average programmer it would seem very clumsy, but it IS very safe, and a lot of these conventions force you to work slowly and deliberately, they were designed that way. You get used to it.

The Codesys is freely available, it is an implementation of IEC 61131-3
http://www.codesys.com

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:57 am

Turbo Pascal is like a whole different language, without all the extensions Pascal is a lot less useful.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

jpstewart
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jpstewart » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:59 am

ivelegacy wrote:about GPC, i haven't understood which library should contain these symbols
[...]
the binary GPC ends with this result

Code: Select all

gpc hallo.pas

ld32: FATAL   9  : I/O error (crtend.o): No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 32 exit status

Well, it's telling you that it can't find the crtend.o file, which is likely where you'll find the needed symbols defined. So the real question is, where is the crtend.o file?

Since the hint that foetz gave you earlier in the thread didn't seem to help, I'll be more blunt: you'll need the "Development Foundation" and "Development Libraries" CDs from the full Irix install set. There are many things on those CDs that are required in order to have a fully functional compiler. It doesn't matter if it's a C compiler or Pascal, from SGI or an open source one. They all need the same development foundation and libraries installed from the operating system CD set.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000

Trekiej

Pascal Users

Unread postby Trekiej » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:17 pm

I am interested in Pascal for programming, but I do not know why. :)
What can I do with it on a SGI machine?

foetz

Re: Pascal Users

Unread postby foetz » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Trekiej wrote:I am interested in Pascal for programming, but I do not know why. :)
What can I do with it on a SGI machine?

about the same as with fortran which is the basics plus gl. you also might need an older system because the pascal compiler didn't make it to 7.3. for freeware alternatives you might wanna check the other threads that just came up regarding pascal

Trekiej

Re: Pascal Users

Unread postby Trekiej » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks.

Return to “SGI: Development”