xmms transparent skins + a gtk/X11 question

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
squeen

xmms transparent skins + a gtk/X11 question

Unread postby squeen » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:42 am

A few xmms questions:

1) What does xmms play? Is it just MP3's, if so how do you create them from wav or aiff files on IRIX?

2) I selected the Sinistar skin on xmms. How did it achieve the transparency or non-rectangular windows? I believe there is a non-rectangular window X extension, is that the mechanism?

3) Why do the gtk apps seem to have less Expose events issues than the Motif based one? I discovered this while swipping the Sinistar skins over mozilla and gnumeric. Contrast the refresh "trails" to Netscape 4.7, Showcase or a large image in Imageview (or my own apps!). Does gtk force backing stores (under the IRIX Xserver)?

Dazed and Confused.

Hakimoto

MP3....

Unread postby Hakimoto » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:18 am

You can use lame-3.91 for IRIX. Works wonders...

dexter1

Re: xmms transparent skins + a gtk/X11 question

Unread postby dexter1 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:53 pm

squeen wrote:2) I selected the Sinistar skin on xmms. How did it achieve the transparency or non-rectangular windows? I believe there is a non-rectangular window X extension, is that the mechanism?

I don't know if this is "built-in", so to say. This shaped borders used to be around when i first tried enlightenment with Alien theme(1996). Back then, Enlghtenment relied heavily on Imlib, an image manipulation library. It's a combination of applying a maskcolor on your borderimages, and with some clever X11/Imlib tricks, one can achieve the desired effect.

Return to “SGI: Development”