Compiling freeware for SGI

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
shrek

Compiling freeware for SGI

Unread postby shrek » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:16 am

Hi,

I was just setting up my webserver and needed GD support under Perl. Because the default Perl installtion of SGI is quite old I choose to use freeware version. But instead of the normal perl I used perl64.

perl64 -MCPAN -e shell
got me nicely into the CPAN shell and install GD worked but asked me for the path of the GD libraries (2.0.12 or higher)
Okay I thought, lets see what freeware.sgi.com has to offer me... nothing but old versions :(
Then I downloaded the soruce package and did a ./configure && make && make install (used prefix /usr/freeware)
But that wasn't good enough for Perl because Perl was going to build GD 64 bit but with my configure steps I made a 32 bit version :(
After some "hacking" of the Makefile and the libtool file I got it so far to compile for 64-bit.
And here comes the question:
Is there in general something I can use to force my freeware to be build in 64-bit without hacking the Makefiles?

Futhermore I would be interested in some hints on how to make a tardist of this package that I can easily give to people in interest of a binary of GD-2.15 (and in future other products)
Now I also see that the packages of Freeware.sgi.com are both 32-bit and 64-bit. Any info on how to accompilish that for this package?

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:04 am

Um, for building 64 bit freeware stuff, try compiling with:

setenv CFLAGS '-I/usr/freeware/include -L/usr/freeware/lib64 -mips4 -64'
and CXXFLAGS appropiately. Good configure/Makefile files detect this and incorporate this into the config.h before making your executable.

BTW, compiling 64-bit can slow down program execution a bit. I noticed this on some of my older fortran programs. So definately test -n32 and -64 before you commit yourself to 64 bit.

Personally, i wouldn't recommend -64 unless the addressing space you need is more than 4 gigabyte, like coding parallel applications with MPI. I had compiled an MPI-program on the 1024 Origin3800 in Amsterdam, but forgot the -64 option. Suddenly, all my runs with cpucount higher than 8 would complain that it couldn't find /dev/zero ....

<DrEvil>Riiiiiiight....</DrEvil>

For making tardists, please read the man page of swpkg and accompanying documentation in the Insight book library, installed on your SGI box.

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:11 am

Also, for freeware you should use gmake(not make), and if you get problems with ranlib, set ranlib=:. SGI has some good info on building freeware on their freeware.sgi.com site. Definatly good to look over.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

Return to “SGI: Development”