nekoware tardists build FAQ

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
o2ric

nekoware tardists build FAQ

Unread postby o2ric » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:26 pm

I've tried to read something regarding some guidelines in preparing nekoware tardists. Unfortunately, it seems that they are scattered in very long threads (the one named nekoware, for example, is 33 pages long!), while I think it would be better to create a sticky post for an easier quick reference.

Of course, assuming that I will have the time to contribute, I could manage the packaging myself using the same guidelines I use for my fw_ tardists, but maybe someone could come up with a summary message.

A.S.

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:32 pm

o2ric, if I understand correctly you know how to make a tardist. Why don't you install one of the latest neko packages and install the dist files with it and have a look at them in swpkg? If that doesn't help, I'd be willing to answer any further questions.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

voidfoo

Unread postby voidfoo » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:08 pm

I am also wondering if there exists a set of scripts that could automate the generation process of tardists. For example after I compile a freeware package and make a clean installation to /tmp/someprefix/ so that the someprefix dir only contains newly installed files, a set of scripts would help me to write the .spec file and generate the tardist file using correct future installation prefix (e.g. /usr/nekoware). It's okay that the automatically generated tardist is raw (we still need to add source and relnotes, pre/post-installation actions, etc. manually anyway.)

I remember there was the idea of a port-like system before, maybe it is not that hard to write those scripts. Or someone has already done it? I could feel the pain of making a huge package in swpkg by clicking and typing, by even only thinking about doing that.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:53 pm

voidfoo wrote:I remember there was the idea of a port-like system before, maybe it is not that hard to write those scripts. Or someone has already done it? I could feel the pain of making a huge package in swpkg by clicking and typing, by even only thinking about doing that.

Whiter has made such a collection of scripts of building a tardist from opensource packages. It's however not widely used, because of the quirks of some opensource ./configure and Makefile files. Also creating patches and testing/debugging them takes much more time than packaging the software once it's done. Atleast that was my experience and believe that i'd rather have one handbuild tardist per week with nice icon, descriptive text and properly tested, than 10, which have a problem every second tardist.

I still think whiter has some nice ideas about alleviating some steps in package creation. Especially seeking dependencies is a royal pain.

BTW i'll be posting the first, unfinished part of my Nekoware Build FAQ/HOWTO. I'm a bit sleepy so i can't finish it all today. I also need some time behind my I2 to make some example tardist stuff, maybe some screenshots as well.

GeneratriX

Very Good!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:55 pm

dexter1 wrote:BTW i'll be posting the first, unfinished part of my Nekoware Build FAQ/HOWTO. I'm a bit sleepy so i can't finish it all today. I also need some time behind my I2 to make some example tardist stuff, maybe some screenshots as well.

Go, Go, Go, Dexter!!! :D

I've looked your FAQ/HOWTO and looks like a great help for everyone working on MIPS/IRIX!!!
Very good work!!!

Cheers! ;)

(...And I've posted here to not turn "dirty" with foreign posts your work on the other thread! ;))

SkyBound

Unread postby SkyBound » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:14 am

Just a small addition to the Nekoware tardist build FAQ:

As of automake 1.5.2 there is support for defining ARFLAGS. This is useful for compiling against C++ static libraries ( .a libraries). These libraries will sometimes give problems in the final link stage when using MIPSpro (something about a missing template definition). To bypass those it is a good idea to always set the following when using C++:

setenv AR 'CC -ar'
setenv ARFLAGS '-o'

Erik

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:48 am

Thanks Skybound. It's now in my standard mix!

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:58 pm

Nice info, will keep that in mind for the future.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

Return to “SGI: Development”