Developer plus program questions

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
voidfoo

Developer plus program questions

Unread postby voidfoo » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:34 am

I filled the online application a while ago and got an email today. There are three files attached with this email:

Code: Select all

Developer Plus US 01-28-04.pdf
developer call pak agreement 01-28-04.pdf
SGI Developer Needs Study - Spring 2004.doc

I took a quick look at them. The first is Developer Plus agreement; the second is DOC agreement. The third is a survey or something like that.

So here I have some questions for those who had similar experiences before. I'm supposed to sign and return the two agreements, right? (According to my understanding, both supports are free.) I'm really scared by those formal contract-like legal documents. Also does signing these agreements mean that I become a plus-developer, or the approval is still pending? Last one, you all know my main interest is the MIPSpro compiler bundle, *grin*. How can I get to that?

Thank you in advance. :D

edit: actually the free DOC support requires an active support contract, so it's not totally free

colin

Unread postby colin » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:06 am

Yes, you'll become a Developer Plus member once you sign its agreement. If you're a "hobbyist" (non-commerical user) then just be sure to clearly state that in your original application so SGI knows how to record your membership.

Developer Online Consulting is not free, as you pointed out in your edit.

Also be sure to fill out the survey, especially if you're a big IRIX fan!

ShadeOfBlue

Re: Developer plus program questions

Unread postby ShadeOfBlue » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:57 am

voidfoo wrote:I filled the online application a while ago and got an email today.

Lucky you!
I've sent them an email (using the web form) about a month ago with a request to upgrade my Developer Online to Plus membership, I even included short descriptions of my current projects, etc., and they still haven't replied.... :roll:

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:56 pm

ShadeOfBlue wrote:
voidfoo wrote:I filled the online application a while ago and got an email today.

Lucky you!
I've sent them an email (using the web form) about a month ago with a request to upgrade my Developer Online to Plus membership, I even included short descriptions of my current projects, etc., and they still haven't replied.... :roll:

Hang on there, man!
... Just repeat the process! ;)

ShadeOfBlue

Unread postby ShadeOfBlue » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:13 am

Diego wrote:Hang on there, man!
... Just repeat the process! ;)

I'll try again, but if they don't reply this time, I'll resend that email each month until they reply :twisted:
I need the compilers, otherwise I wouldn't bother them, I know they're busy...

ZoontF

Unread postby ZoontF » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:17 am

When I applied years ago, the contract said that I was required to attend the Developer's conference, or something like that.

I couldn't possible afford to attend, so I did not end up enrolling.

But I just saw someone say something about telling them I was a hobbyist, and I might recieve different (probably less helpful) treatment? If I tell them I am a hobbyist, or freeware developer, will they not bother requiring my attendence at the conferences? I really want compilers, but its ludicrous to fly to their conference just because I want to use the compilers for freeware and personal hobby projects that have no financial benefits.

Can I sign up, say that I will attend, and then just not go? Is that what other people do?

colin

Unread postby colin » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:08 pm

For what it's worth, I know many developer plus members who did not attend the 2001, 2002, or 2003 developer conferences.

Also, there was no developer conference this year (2004). The SGI Users Group had a conference, but they have no connection to the developer program (and they had a conference in 2003 as well).

choza

Unread postby choza » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:05 am

So... it is preferably to say im a hobbiyst or just lie a little???

same mail arrived to me on 09/22 seems SGI is going up to date with online requests.

Additionally, we are offering Developer Plus level members with an active
support contract 1 FREE 5-casepack of Developer
Online Consulting (DOC). If you wish to enroll in DOC, please provide a
system serial number and sign the attached DOC
agreement.

so a support contract is needed and $$$ is needed for support contract, then $$$ is needed for DOC...am i right?

thx in advance

colin

Unread postby colin » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:22 am

[quote="choza"]So... it is preferably to say im a hobbiyst or just lie a little???[/quote]

If you're a hobbyist with no plans for a commerical product, then tell SGI just that. The last I heard, they gladly grant Developer Plus memberships to hobbyists.

datamodel2

Unread postby datamodel2 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:13 am

Choza - it means that *if* you have a current support contract *then* you get the 5 case DOC for free but pay for anything past the first 5.

My application is *still* being processed. I got an email from mailto:devprogram@sgi.com saying my Dev Online expires soon and a URL to renew it.

So... the URl points to the new member enrollment form, which I can't use, because I'm an existing member.

Replying (ass per the email or site) to mailto:devprogram@sgi.com gets a "User Unknown" from SGIs mail servers. Clicking on the "Contact Us" button by the form gets a 404 error for the CGI script.

Seamless guys. Nice.

So I mailed the SGI person I was dealing with to see if she's received the forms... no response yet.

Cheers,

Martin.

LaLora

Unread postby LaLora » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:23 pm

So, how much does mipspro C compiler (with some basic libraries) purchased from SGI approx. costs (in USD) if you are not in one of this developer programs and cannot get it for free... 0.5k,.. 1k,.. 5k,... 10k,.. more then 10k?

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:42 pm

it's costs alot i remember getting a "Student discount" quote of over 1500euro, reason why they assumed i was still a student was i emailed them using my university computer society email addy. I'm assuming it's alot more without this "discount"
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

Jarndyce911

Unread postby Jarndyce911 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:55 pm

My suggestion is to just call them. I was actually a dev member for over a year and
never got the access to the newest maintenance releases, but then I just called them
and they took care of me immediatly. I was actually very impressive service. Email
just doesn't seem to work as well as a call.

Good luck!

---
Charles

ZoontF

Unread postby ZoontF » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:58 pm

Since pricing has surfaced here, I also asked them about a week ago, how much the most basic paid support package would cost - which gives access to IRIX updates, pipeline newsletter, pataches, all knowledgebase ... basically the things that free online support does not give. $1500 usd a year. Ouch again.

o2ric

Unread postby o2ric » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:08 am

datamodel2 wrote:My application is *still* being processed. I got an email from mailto:devprogram@sgi.com saying my Dev Online expires soon and a URL to renew it.

So... the URl points to the new member enrollment form, which I can't use, because I'm an existing member.

The same happens to me, but it was the same also last year (no renewal, only application as a new member). Not only that: a week or less ago, I tried to click on the provided URI, just to find that it's not valid anymore (404 from the SGI site). I sent them a message using the provided form, and nothing has happened as of today.

Also, I am under the impression that more and more IRIX stuff is disappearing from the corporate site. Have you noticed that Java for IRIX is not listed anymore in the software section? Still, you can download it from the software evaluation page, but the corporate pages on Java have vanished. The same seems to occur to the ancient developer toolbox, which albeit old was still a source of good information. Anybody knows where SGI has relocated it, or if it has been deleted?

A.S.

Return to “SGI: Development”