Creating fw_packages (and/or submitting them)

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
whiter

Creating fw_packages (and/or submitting them)

Unread postby whiter » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:12 pm

Hello there,

finally subscribed to the forum also, instead of just adding comments on the main site now and then :)

I am working on porting a bit of software to Irix. And now I was wondering, when the hard part is done (getting the source tree to compile), how to create a nice package and get it added on the next freeware release?

I have no clue at all, so if someone has experience with this, let me know!

regards,

Wh|te Russian
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Creating fw_packages (and/or submitting them)

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:48 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I'd start by e-mailing mailto:freeware@sgi.com to see what the requirements are for building and submitting a package to them. Another contact to try would be David Kaelbling mailto:drk@sgi.com if no one responds at the freeware address.

I've never attempted to submit anything to them; I'm sure they have some guidelines that have to be followed (I think one of them is that MIPSpro has to be used).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:02 pm

Hallo Steffen :) Frank hiero...

Good to see you here as well!

Basically Swpkg is the program which will do this for you. There is an Insight Book tutorial on your SGI which describes how to do this.
There's no clear recipy to go from there, it depends a bit on the package, dependencies and what you want to include...

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:34 pm

Welcome whiter :)

Hmm, I'm sure the folks behind the sgi freeware site would welcome submissions for GNU software, although It may take a while to get it rolling due to the voluntary aspect.

whiter

Unread postby whiter » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:55 am

*waves to dexter1* :)

hmm
oh well ok then,
*waves to everyone else too* ;)

As suggested just written an email to the freeware mail address for any hints.
I see on the site that everything is compiled using MipsPro 7.3 so that might be a problem. My fastest system is an Indigo2 r4400 250MHz 128MB High Impact. And I'm not eligible for any updates to Irix or MipsPro ($^&@$^!@$%!@ SGI 'marketing' :), so I am using gcc 3.2.2 (which works terriffic I might say).

But gcc working great might not matter to the freeware peeps, so I first might have to see if there is a place for me to compile the things using MipsPro 7.3. And I hope that compiling using that will go smooth, since I have no knowledge about that one :)
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

Return to “SGI: Development”