Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Total Gnome Madness
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:34 pm 

For my ever ongoing quest for "new applications on old IRIX" I have decided to take a break and try a whole batch of stuff on 6.5 just to get an idea where on a recent IRIX releases the problems start.

My goal was to get GTK 2.6.x and a recent Gimp2 with almost all extras (the Gimp, not GTK) up and running. After a couple of days full of compiling dependencies everything was looking great. I have libcroco, a Python, a recent Perl and tons of other stuff that needed some poking to get going. Then when I had all dependencies for librsvg and found a version that did compile all the way through the install failed with something I haven't seen for quite a while now:

Code:
make[3]: Entering directory `/source/librsvg-2.6.5/gdk-pixbuf-loader'
[...]
make[3]: *** [install-data-hook] Killed

And after that all is finished. Just for fun I tried recompiling GTK - does also crash during install. So now I am left to wonder (again) at what point my installation did break.

Additional thing I wonder/worry about is how to keep track of dependencies. Regarding Gnome applications these are a terrible nightmare. Don't know if KDE is really much better but at least the distribution looks a bit cleaner.

Now that I managed not to "rm -rf /" the build system I need to find something to calm down...

Gerhard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:25 am 

Just checking, but you do know about the packages for IRIX here?

Also, I'm not sure what the make error message implies.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:30 am 

Yup, I know about the Nekochan archive. My primary target are IRIX releases prior to 6.5 so that there are at least some applications available for them. Personally I like to do some stuff on hardware when it's driving my energy bill higher and higher - especially as it's consuming ~600W like a Crimson does.

My experiments on 6.5 are tests to see what is doable with a reasonable amount of effort. If it needs severe patching on 6.5 it probably is next to impossible to compile on 6.2 (or even worse: 5.3). Currently I'm trying to concentrate on getting more feature rich builds of the stuff I've always been doing (like Gaim with working MSN support ;-)).

Gerhard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:38 am 

Hi Gerhard,

A lot of stuff can be compiled using mipspro 7.3 on IRIX 6.2 installations, like the Crimson. I've ventured some builds and f.i. openssh and rss_glx can be compiled just fine. Just make sure you get the patches from the nekoware tardists. All packages contain patches, mostly to MIPSPro 7.3.1.3m, some 7.4.x. Just make sure you have a recent CC-includes tarball for those pesky cstdlib/cstio stuff. Only some new packages are built with c99, which is unique to 7.4.2m compilers.

gcc first then :)

Good luck in getting that old beast to compile.