mplayer 1.3.0

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: mplayer 1.3.0

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 pm

hamei wrote:------------------------
# removed after this line excepting the final fi statement
------------------------

I've done that a million times with configure scripts that are written by people who are obviously clueless and by those who should know better. For example I have to do it with every new version of xscreensaver because his configure script can't find the gtk include files, wtf if he doesn't have a clue then nobody in the Unix/Linux/BSD/whatever does... :lol:

I'll grab it and have a look at it, it's going to be a challenge because the supposedly modern version of mplayer that I've got on my Linux box links against eighty four system libraries! :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Axatax_ wrote:I don't think I ever posted a patch for the "beta" Mplayer I sent up. It's newer than what's in Neko maninline but probably older than current official Mplayer.

LMK if you're still interested. I have to set the Octane back up but that's not a big deal. Like alot of people life (my first kid) got in the way... :D

Gracious moochy Mr Ax .... that'd be super. Almost to the point of having the nekoware source build - a couple of little things in configure, a couple of missing header files, and now a linking problem, but close.

I figure after people can just pull the existing source and it builds outta the box, then can move the lever to first. No point in duplicating the dumbshit stuff.

vishnu wrote:I'll grab it and have a look at it, it's going to be a challenge because the supposedly modern version of mplayer that I've got on my Linux box links against eighty four system libraries! :shock:

Yes, some of that stuff really doesn't have to happen if you make source for a single operating system. I don't think we need all that stuff to support JACK, for instance. And I notice that, at least in some cases, even a --disable-soandso directive doesn't actually disable those features. They don't work, of course, but it still tries to build the stuff. (Not JACK, this was iconv). And ditching gtk2 is a for-sure goal. Why would they insist on gtk2 for a command-line app ? Sheesh :(

Update: got this hummer to build without needing any trickeries, so in the next couple days will set up a base repository. Then you guys can have at it cuz I sure as heck don't know what I'm doing :)

Just to confirm, running a test of the freshly-built mplayer 1 rc 1, in top it shows two threads, one running at about 20% cpu and one at .2% cpu, on a 2p Octane. So if the Octane is "not capable of handling the heavy loads of modern codecs", well, them codecs aren't trying very hard. There's lots of cpu available to use.
I don't want to be found dead in Utah.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:39 am

hamei wrote:
Axatax_ wrote:I don't think I ever posted a patch for the "beta" Mplayer I sent up. It's newer than what's in Neko maninline but probably older than current official Mplayer.

LMK if you're still interested. I have to set the Octane back up but that's not a big deal. Like alot of people life (my first kid) got in the way... :D

Gracious moochy Mr Ax .... that'd be super. Almost to the point of having the nekoware source build - a couple of little things in configure, a couple of missing header files, and now a linking problem, but close.

I figure after people can just pull the existing source and it builds outta the box, then can move the lever to first. No point in duplicating the dumbshit stuff.

vishnu wrote:I'll grab it and have a look at it, it's going to be a challenge because the supposedly modern version of mplayer that I've got on my Linux box links against eighty four system libraries! :shock:

Yes, some of that stuff really doesn't have to happen if you make source for a single operating system. I don't think we need all that stuff to support JACK, for instance. And I notice that, at least in some cases, even a --disable-soandso directive doesn't actually disable those features. They don't work, of course, but it still tries to build the stuff. (Not JACK, this was iconv). And ditching gtk2 is a for-sure goal. Why would they insist on gtk2 for a command-line app ? Sheesh :(

Update: got this hummer to build without needing any trickeries, so in the next couple days will set up a base repository. Then you guys can have at it cuz I sure as heck don't know what I'm doing :)

Just to confirm, running a test of the freshly-built mplayer 1 rc 1, in top it shows two threads, one running at about 20% cpu and one at .2% cpu, on a 2p Octane. So if the Octane is "not capable of handling the heavy loads of modern codecs", well, them codecs aren't trying very hard. There's lots of cpu available to use.

Wow, well done! And it actually can play MP4 encoded vids on your Octane?
Project:
Plan:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:57 pm

vishnu wrote:Wow, well done! And it actually can play MP4 encoded vids on your Octane?

Don't get so excited :( This is just back to the original neko mplayer, except that it builds out of the box now. Never did before, for me :(

But ya gotta start somewhere, right ?
I don't want to be found dead in Utah.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am

Roger that, I'm all over it like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm...! 8-)
Project:
Plan:

Return to “SGI: Development”