ipmitool for IRIX

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
necron2600

ipmitool for IRIX

Unread postby necron2600 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:16 pm

I got ipmitool compiled for IRIX (mips4, gcc, nekoware installed.. esp for its use of ncurses). I did try searching to see if this was already compiled by someone but I did not find anything.

There were a few obvious mods to source, but the bigger mod was replacing BSWAP_32 (non-existent on IRIX) with a custom function placed in a byteswap.h file that does the same thing.
I have not tested this other than running 2 commands.. and accidentally shutting down a server running ESX that I did not want shutdown yet ;) Later I will test its remote console ability.

Code: Select all

./ipmitool -H 192.168.0.2 -U root -P password sdr elist fru | grep PS
PS 1             | 00h | ns  | 10.1 | Logical FRU @03h
PS 2             | 00h | ns  | 10.2 | Logical FRU @04h
./ipmitool -v -H 192.168.0.2 -U root -P password power off           
Chassis Power Control: Down/Off

[EDIT: added -gcc to the filename]
ipmitool-1.8.12-irix65-mips4-gcc.tar.gz
IPMItool for irix65 mips4 compiled with GCC
(562.93 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by necron2600 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dexter1

Re: ipmitool for IRIX

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Well done necron2600.

Is the irix package built mainly for remote management of other devices over ip or can it also be used to read sensor data on SGI hardware?
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:34 pm

much thanks necron :-)
please do, by convention, add "gcc" to the filename if it was compiled with that.

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Is the irix package built mainly for remote management of other devices over ip or can it also be used to read sensor data on SGI hardware?

IPMI is only for remote managing IPMI-enabled devices regarding sensor data, remote power control, and even remote console access to where you get to see an Intel-based server's BIOS, serial-over-lan accessing a Linux console or remotely installing a server over PXEboot (text-only), etc. (Similar to SUN's ILOM)

This is not helpful for SGI hardware. But is useful for SGI systems to remotely manage devices with IPMI (I use it to turn on and off various Vmware ESX physical servers when I do not need them running 24x7.. beats running down to the basement to push a power button).

A random google searched URL on the subject with some examples:
https://discuss.pivotal.io/hc/en-us/art ... d-IPMITOOL

Right now the package is just a tarball that extracts to usr/local, a proper nekoware tardist will come down the road. I have a few other 'tarballs' I have around that need to be more formally packaged into tardists too.

Return to “SGI: Development”