Glib failing thread test

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
foetz

Re: Glib failing thread test

Unread postby foetz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:46 pm

praetor242 wrote:I talked to the glib devs and they said it's best to just build it with gcc (and then gave me a million reasons why)

of course, the foss guys always do. keep in mind tho that for irix in most cases mipspro delivers much better results so only fall back to gcc if you really need something that doesn't build with mipspro at all.

praetor242

Unread postby praetor242 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about using GCC, especially the last IRIX supported version (4.7) because it doesn' t have all the optimizers the latest version has. GCC is actually pretty quick, just not this version. It was dark times.

I'd prefer to use MIPSPro, but no getting glib to compile with it is going to happen, so gcc it is. :(
Image - trajan - R5000 180Mhz - 128 MB RAM - 147GB HDD
Image - hadrian - R5000 180Mhz - 96 MB RAM - 4 GB HDD (Nekkid)

praetor242

Unread postby praetor242 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:47 pm

So it appears nekoware's GCC C++ compiler is broken. I wrote a quick 'hello world' program, and tried compiling it with g++, and it bitched about pthread and didn't compile. I noticed this when gmp kept failing with --enable-cxx.

So I'm following This (http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Build_GCC_4.7.1_on_IRIX) guide on building gcc on IRIX, which I fear might be a little interesting with broken C++ support. :( Unless building a c++ compiler is part of gcc's bootstrapping.
Image - trajan - R5000 180Mhz - 128 MB RAM - 147GB HDD
Image - hadrian - R5000 180Mhz - 96 MB RAM - 4 GB HDD (Nekkid)

Return to “SGI: Development”