neko_perl-5.24.0 tardist in /beta

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
dexter1

neko_perl-5.24.0 tardist in /beta

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:16 am

I've uploaded the latest stable Perl release on ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/downloads/Ne ... .0.tardist
The http service and mirrors will pick it up soon.

This version has both mips3 and mips4 support and will install in IRIX 6.5.22m and above. Since it has no dependencies other than libc and libm (and libpthread for the threaded version) i don't expect any major problems in using it on IRIX versions 6.5.23-6.5.30

I have tested it on a R4K4 Challenge S and R12K O2 both running 6.5.22m and both absolving all test successfully. Many packages in Nekoware list it as a dependency so i'm curious if this package will work against other installations. Let me know.

I had to build this newer version because the previous version 5.8.9 is too low as a dependency for testing/compiling openssl-1.1.0. Other packages use Perl quite often for running make tests.

This one was quite hard to build: The default optimization of -O3 broke tests on mips4 build so i had to bump down to -O2 to pass the testsuite. There are 5240 files in there and 117 extra files especially for mips3 support. Needless to say, i had to build extensive scripts in ksh and awk to get the .idb file auto-generated and mips3 binaries set aside for inclusion. I believe it turned out pretty well.

Soon (tm) i will move stuff from /beta to /current and also moving out everything in /nekoware-mips3 in favour of the dual mps3/4 build, so that we don't have to build two packages.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Re: neko_perl-5.24.0 tardist in /beta

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Just tried this out today. It installs fine on my Fuel with no conflicts, which is very nice!

However, it was a bit of a pain getting it working as it didn't seem to replace my older Perl version, meaning that running "perl -v" in most cases gave the old Perl version. And the old Perl version isn't in Software Manager, as I presume 5.24 superseded it (certainly selecting to remove 5.24 meant a whole mountain of conflicts arising due to the packages that require Perl).

Anyway, I think I've managed to track down and replace all of the old symlinks at least, so a "perl -v" from the command line is now reporting the correct version. Also ran one of my scripts, and it ran without any issues at all - although most of my scripts just do fairly simple file movement/syncing/manipulation tasks, and therefore don't really use external libraries.

So, no conflicts, and seems to run well after a bit of housekeeping! Many thanks for the new version - it's great to see 2016 instead of 1998 being reported in the version output :-)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:23 pm

Hey Trippynet,

Thanks for giving my package a spin! I really appreciate it: it's always good to have some fresh new software on our SGI's once in a while.
This new Perl will certainly help porting more packages, because a lot more software build and test tasks are depending on a modern Perl nowadays.

Trippynet wrote:However, it was a bit of a pain getting it working as it didn't seem to replace my older Perl version, meaning that running "perl -v" in most cases gave the old Perl version. And the old Perl version isn't in Software Manager, as I presume 5.24 superseded it (certainly selecting to remove 5.24 meant a whole mountain of conflicts arising due to the packages that require Perl).

Yes, i have experienced the same bumpyness: There indeed is a very old Perl shipped with IRIX 6.5.22m. It's from 'eoe.sw.gifts_perl' :

Code: Select all

> versions | grep perl
I  eoe.man.gifts_perl   07/17/2016  Perl Man Pages
I  eoe.sw.gifts_perl    07/17/2016  Perl Software
I  eoe.sw.gifts_perl_lib  07/17/2016  Perl Libraries
I  neko_perl            10/15/2016  perl 5.24.0 Practical Extraction and Report Language
I  neko_perl.man        10/15/2016  man pages
I  neko_perl.man.manpages  10/15/2016  man pages
I  neko_perl.sw         10/15/2016  software
I  neko_perl.sw.common  10/15/2016  common files
I  neko_perl.sw.perl    10/15/2016  perl development and execution
I  patchSG0005474.eoe_sw.gifts_perl_lib  07/17/2016  Perl Libraries

Uninstalling that old version causes conflicts to pop up in software packages: Gateway, Array services, Infosearch, Outbox, Sysadmdesktop and probably some more. And it's installed in /usr/sbin, so it is usually picked up first in the $PATH environment, unless you force /usr/nekoware/bin as the first entry in $PATH

Most of the time i do

setenv PERL /usr/nekoware/bin/perl
and build scripts seem to pick up the proper Perl just fine. Old Perl scripts with

#! /usr/bin/env perl
probably work with either the PATH env change i suggested above or a hardcoded

#! /usr/nekoware/bin/perl
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:36 am

Ahh, that explains it a bit better - glad it wasn't just my Fuel being screwy!

In the end I just set up symlinks in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin to point at the new /usr/nekoware/bin/perl executable and this seemed to solve the issue. It also helps when the occasional script out there is set with a hard-coded #! /usr/bin/perl, as this then works fine as well.

And once again, thanks for the new version :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:26 am

Trippynet wrote:In the end I just set up symlinks in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin to point at the new /usr/nekoware/bin/perl executable

that's not a good idea because it also affects the system scripts (which are expecting irix' own perl) as well as everything else because changing the contents of system dirs is of course global. stuff like this often is the indirect reason for seemingly strange problems later.
sorting that by using $PATH or telling the scripts to use env is much better in most cases. or, the best solution of course, is setting the path to perl in the script directly.

Return to “SGI: Development”