Writing Games For IRIX?

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
electrithm

Writing Games For IRIX?

Unread postby electrithm » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi, I want to write games for IRIX, I know that SimCity 1989 was rewritten in Tcl/Tk for Unix workstations, but the languages I have experience in are Java, C#, and C/C++.

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Re: Writing Games For IRIX?

Unread postby jimmer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:39 am

And your question is?

TruHobbyist

Unread postby TruHobbyist » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:27 am

I'm not a games developer but have done some compiling/porting to IRIX. Regarding programming languages/APIs, you have plenty of choices:

1. MIPSPro

MIPSPro compilers from SGI include at least Fortran, C/C++ and Pascal. You'd have to lookup exactly what versions of MIPSPro provide which compilers. The latest version is MIPSPro 7.4.4m and includes frontends for at least C/C++ (C89, C99) and Fortran (77, 90). Older versions of MIPSPro supported Pascal too (7.2.* ???).

A pic of the MIPSPro 7.4.4m CDs is attached.

2. GCC

To get started I'd recommend downloading gcc from nekoware and, if C/C++ is not enough for you, use it to compile any other frontend/version you need.

3. Java

Java 1.4.1_06 is the latest version available for IRIX. You can get it here. Again, if that's not enough for you, you can try compiling a much newer version. But beware Java is a huge project and compiling it yourself could take you many months of hard work. That's probably not what you want.

4. GL/OpenGL

The latest version for SGI/MIPS I am aware of is 1.2 (my Octane with V6) but my O2 and Indigo 2's are at 1.1. I'd recommend just sticking to 1.1.

5. SDL

For game developing, SDL would be a nice-to-have library. I don't know of a fully working SDL for IRIX, not even in the 1.2 branch, but looking at the API a full porting to IRIX wouldn't take you more than a month.

6. Scripting languages

SGI provides sgitcl in the distributions CDs (can't remember the CD). The product is called sgitcl_[eoe|dev|...] IIRC. Furthermore, there are precompiled binaries for TCL3D for IRIX (yes!!!) here. You'd need to match versions (host TCL with TCL3D) but I think this is the fastest way to start gamedev using a scripting language.

Other scripting languages include python, perl, ruby and rexx, among others. Some IRIX ports are available on nekoware.

7. C#

You'd need to port Mono. If you have the time and the skills, go for it (and upload it to nekoware). Having so many alternatives to programming games on IRIX I wouldn't even consider it as an option TBH. As with Java, too much effort for too little gain.

I hope this gives you a quick overview of how/where to start with your coding journey. Enjoy!!!
Attachments
MIPSPro74.jpg

cris_adder

Unread postby cris_adder » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Porting games seems like the way to go in the first instance. This is what has been done in the past and getting a good interesting game ported to irix would be most welcomed...

There are is a thread somewhere here that shows applications that others would like to see ported and I think there might be a few games on that list...

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:36 pm

There are. You could try making a modern port of Duke Nukem 3D. That would be cool.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:58 pm

Is the reason you want to write games for IRIX because the SGI hardware is well-suited to running games of a certain type?
Now you have to consider the type of game that it would be suited for. Something that can use the abilities of OpenGL 1.3 or Iris GL, or other specific SGI libraries. I remember that there is an IndyZone game that uses motion control through the Indy camera.

A lot of the classic SGI games are pretty minimal in their focus on 3D graphics. BattleZone, Tranquility, Battalion, etc. So keep it simple. The other consideration is, what languages/tools to use? The aforementioned are written in plain C using GL, but there are other languages with GL bindings, and even environments for more rapid development of 3D software (e.g. Megahedron). If you start by writing a demo with no user input, you can get experience with coding animations, and can then add in input functions (available in GLUT and ViewKit) to make parameters controllable. That's halfway to making a game.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

TruHobbyist

Unread postby TruHobbyist » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:02 am

Krokodil wrote:There are. You could try making a modern port of Duke Nukem 3D. That would be cool.

What do you mean by "making a modern port" ?

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:14 am

I would presume that it means trying to port one of the updated versions of Duke Nukem 3D. The original was effectively a 2D game rendered as 3D (similar to Doom). However, there are OpenGL ports of the engine which allow for 3D acceleration. If one of the OpenGL versions could be ported, this would obviously allow for some nicer performance and prettier visuals.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:50 am

TruHobbyist wrote:
Krokodil wrote:There are. You could try making a modern port of Duke Nukem 3D. That would be cool.

What do you mean by "making a modern port" ?

Didn't you know? There was a port of the game years ago. It's still out there, it just doesn't work properly anymore. I wouldn't be opposed to anyone who decided to port EDuke either.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

TruHobbyist

Unread postby TruHobbyist » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:59 am

Krokodil wrote:Didn't you know?

I had no idea. I'm more the hardcore RTS gamer. My enthusiasm for FPS always kept in its limits.
Krokodil wrote:There was a port of the game years ago. It's still out there, it just doesn't work properly anymore. I wouldn't be opposed to anyone who decided to port EDuke either.

Three things here:

1. The IRIX port you mention is the one from a nekochan user which is based on a OSX port?
2. #define "doesn't work properly anymore"
3. Just took a look at EDuke. I must say it's an enviable demonstration of affection and love from their community. The only other community I know about that did something similar is the TA community (Total Annihilation). Amazing :o

Looking at the build process it has "doable" dependencies. Problem is time. As it always is. :roll:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:41 pm

TruHobbyist wrote:5. SDL

For game developing, SDL would be a nice-to-have library. I don't know of a fully working SDL for IRIX, not even in the 1.2 branch, but looking at the API a full porting to IRIX wouldn't take you more than a month.

These are in nekoware current:

neko_sdl-1.2.13.tardist
neko_sdl_gfx-2.0.13.tardist
neko_sdl_image-1.2.5.tardist
neko_sdl_mixer-1.2.7.tardist
neko_sdl_net-1.2.6.tardist
neko_sdl_sound-1.0.1.tardist
neko_sdl_ttf-2.0.8.tardist

Not that I've ever had any luck using them. Years back I managed to port Super Tux Cart to Irix but the MIPSPro linker couldn't link any of the object files to the SDL shared objects... :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

TruHobbyist

Unread postby TruHobbyist » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:51 pm

vishnu wrote:Not that I've ever had any luck using them.

I've been porting software between different platforms (SW + HW) for years when it all started as a hobby back in 2006/2007. There are 2 things I can say for sure:

1. Nearly every non-intel platform of the 90's provides a good enough basis to build 99% of the wintel-software available at this time.
2. Successfully compiling a source code (i.e. not getting any compile errors) is just a first step in the porting process. Most need in-depth modifications with platform-specific code. SDL is a good example for this but there are many, many more: python with ctypes module (MIPS/IRIX assembler until your head explodes), wget with its unknown socket definitions (Linux-candiness), ...

vishnu wrote:Years back I managed to port Super Tux Cart to Irix but the MIPSPro linker couldn't link any of the object files to the SDL shared objects... :roll:

Nice!!! It reminds me of F-Zero.

Return to “SGI: Development”