Accessing the SGI Motif IconPanel widget from sgitcl.

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jimmer
Donor
Donor

Accessing the SGI Motif IconPanel widget from sgitcl.

Unread postby jimmer » Thu May 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Hey all,

As far as I know there are no publicly available C/C++ headers or documentation relating to the SGI Motif IconPanel widget.

However, it turns out that sgitcl provides access to this widget from the moat interpreter - a tcl-accessible wrapper round the regular Motif UI components which SGI extended to cover their own widgets and some other 3rd party ones like XbaeMatrix. I've attached a little script with what I've managed to piece together. There's still plenty of stuff I haven't figured out, but I'm sharing what I've found so far in the hope somebody might find it useful.

Enjoy :)

J.
Attachments
wheel-0.1.tar.gz
sgitcl script and some content files to demo the use of the SGI motif IconPanel widget
(627.14 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
:O2: bluebox 200Mhz 256Mb AV1+O2Cam

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Accessing the SGI Motif IconPanel widget from sgitcl.

Unread postby vishnu » Sun May 15, 2016 9:04 am

This is a different widget from the libSgm Icon Gadget? Helpful link that shows all the libSgm widgets: https://motif.ics.com/support/docs/bx5/sgi-sgm-widgets
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Sun May 15, 2016 10:15 am

vishnu wrote:This is a different widget from the libSgm Icon Gadget? Helpful link that shows all the libSgm widgets: https://motif.ics.com/support/docs/bx5/sgi-sgm-widgets

Yes Vish, it's a completely different 'widget'. The stuff you're referring to are the various little Motif widgets which SGI donated to the public. The thing I'm talking about is what SGI used to make 'fm' the IRIX Desktop filemanager and the toolchest 'iconpanel' application launcher.

It's the large and complex thing with the zooming/scaling vector icons, connected to the IRIX desktop FTR's. It's the heart of the SGI desktop experience. To my knowledge there's never been a published API or C/C++ headers for this as it's an 'internal' SGI widget set.

However, it seems that in the early 1990's when SGI was still trying to compete in the desktop computing market (think indy's in jerry maguire's office) somebody in the desktop group figured that it would be cool to pick up the tclMotif project and use it to add a tcl interface to the internal Motif widgets SGI was using for the desktop, the big Indigo Magic 'this is our desktop' ones, not just the little Motif thumbwheel and dial bits and bobs. I'm sure they thought it would make their life a lot easier. Not sure what happened after. Maybe policy changes or people leaving or whatever it is that makes things go differently inside large corporate entities. Who knows...

Unfortunately, there's almost no documentation of the tcl wrapper either. There's just enough to get you started, but there isn't enough material about the IconPanel's interaction with the rest of the desktop to actually use it. So, I ran the library connecting tcl to the internal SGI widgets through 'strings' and I found a few things which helped me identify and understand some errors in the documentation. After which, with some more sleuthing in the sources of tclMotif and some educated guessing, I managed to put 1+1 together and come up with 11. 11 is in the attached tarball.

Download and run it and you'll get your 'aha erlebnis'. I promise :)

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue May 17, 2016 9:37 pm

Aha! D'you think Eric Masson has the source code to this widget in Maxx Desktop?
Project:
Plan:

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Wed May 18, 2016 12:08 am

vishnu wrote:Aha! D'you think Eric Masson has the source code to this widget in Maxx Desktop?

I don't know. He might have it. He might not.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed May 18, 2016 10:58 pm

jimmer wrote:
vishnu wrote:Aha! D'you think Eric Masson has the source code to this widget in Maxx Desktop?

I don't know. He might have it. He might not.

Well, whether he has it or not I guess it doesn't matter, because the license he's got from SGI won't let him share the source... :cry:
Project:
Plan:

Return to “SGI: Development”