Maxwell text editor development

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Maxwell text editor development

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:59 pm

hamei wrote:There is the true value of open source ... some day, maybe someone can fix the p.o.s. :D

I'm honestly a bit shocked it's this crashprone, has that much changed since 1999? :shock:
hamei wrote:It's still less work than writing a completely new word processor from scratch, yes ?

Oh no doubt, this was written by pros with the intent of creating a commercial product, it's 313 C++ files and 436 header files with 83 makefiles, anything but a quick hack. I suspect the authors gave up when Sun open sourced Star Office into Open Office. That had to have sucked for them... :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:50 am

Vishnu, can you specify where you got the source from? I have found two archives on the internet: a maxwellwp.tar.gz and a maxwell-0.5.3-src.tar.gz
Both archives require substantial reworking for dependency entries in directories, amongst other things. I'm curious if we can get this running without too much hacking. You've already spent a lot of work on it and i think you are close to a working program. I have read through the old Maxwell thread, a true enjoyment for a software hacker :)
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:10 am

dexter1 wrote:Vishnu, can you specify where you got the source from? I have found two archives on the internet: a maxwellwp.tar.gz and a maxwell-0.5.3-src.tar.gz
Both archives require substantial reworking for dependency entries in directories, amongst other things. I'm curious if we can get this running without too much hacking. You've already spent a lot of work on it and i think you are close to a working program. I have read through the old Maxwell thread, a true enjoyment for a software hacker :)

Actually I'm working from the source that hamei got us started on two years ago, I'm not sure where he got his starting copy. But thanks for showing an interest I will upload a copy but I can't until Monday because I am in Colorado skiing with my brother (he lives in the mountains above Silverthorne). I have made a crapton of changes, not just to the source but to configure.ac and the makefiles-dot-ins in the build directory. One thing you have to do if you're working from the tarball you can get currently at sourceforge, you have to run autoheader before running configure, that takes care of moving the include files where they need to be for their very weird build system. It does not compile the include files from where they live in the source tree, it makes copies of them in the include directory at the top of the source tree and compiles them from there. :shock:
Project:
Plan:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Time for an update; something's regressed, now it's crashing before it can open its window, I have no idea what's going on I had it working at the end of November. Well, working in the sense that you could type into it, change the fonts, do bold and italic, you couldn't open a file or save one without a crash but at least you could try out the features on the default blank document that it opens to. I really don't want to upload the working copy I've got if it can't even open a window. Continuing with the debug, will update with status when there's more status to update... :oops:
Project:
Plan:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:53 am

Ok, let us know if we can help. Holiday season is upon us and we all have some free time available.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks dexter! :D

I'm really at a loss, I didn't change anything, I just left town for a week and when I got back it had bitrotted into a new crash bug. :shock:
Project:
Plan:

Return to “SGI: Development”