GTK+-2.10.14 working - dbus not working -Firefox3.5 limbo

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
rosehillbob

Re: GTK+-2.10.14 working - dbus not working -Firefox3.5 limbo

Unread postby rosehillbob » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:14 pm

I examined the patch in the posted link and the way it decorates the function although coded although different has the same result as the current patch. The test "testxpcinvoke" works correctly so XPCOM is OK. The next thing I tried was to enable the use of DBUS which is the default build. I expected the code to fault in DBUS but before it did twice as many components successfully registered(and three times as fast) as compared to when the code is compiled with DBUS disabled. It looks like the next step is correct the DBUS library before go any further with debugging Firefox3.5.
:Onyx2: :O2: :Octane:

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:18 pm

This is possibly helpful for you: I tried the ff3.1 alpha versions and they also have the same problem like 3.5. The main difference between 3.0 and 3.1 is the new javascript engine. So I guess the problem is related with this.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:

rosehillbob

Unread postby rosehillbob » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:18 am

I examined the link above and the changes to xpcom basically do the same thing as the xpstubsdef file. The test program for xpcinvoke executes correctly therefore xptcall isn't where the fault lies. I did another check and this time built it with DBUS which is the default. Now the DBUS in Nekoware is faulty - fails it own tests with core dump - but with it enabled firefox3.5 registers three times as many components including ones that failed before (Firefox stops with DBUS dumping core). I will now look into DBUS and do some low level debugging to get a IRIX port working.

rosehillbob

Unread postby rosehillbob » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:15 pm

I have been doing some looking into DBUS I noticed a problem with g_spawn_async (from GLIB). I also did some research and found out with the introduction of libxul with FF2.0 Mozilla is relying less and less on NSPR and more on GLIB in the UNIX ports. Glib has multiple variations of g_spawn and depending on which ones Firefox or DBUS are using the outcomes will be different. I suspect Firefox3.5 without DBUS enabled is using GLIB to spawn processes and DBUS is using GLIB as well but there is more than one function call. Remember the fault of Firefox3.5 without DBUS enabled is it fails to start new a process ( a listener) and times out with an error unable to communicate to the listener. Well to get DBUS to work I have to get a proper working GLIB which may solve some other problems. Firefox with 'tests_enabled' builds a whole host of test programs. The test programs associated with inter process communication all fail . I haven't tried out the javascript test programs yet...I think more of firefox must work first.

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:48 am

rosehillbob wrote: Well to get DBUS to work I have to get a proper working GLIB which may solve some other problems.
From my experience you have to go back to glib-2.20.5 to find a glib that passes all tests. If you do so, you have to rebuild all glib dependencies.I did this already for debugging, but I never tried to use dbus.

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:40 pm

This weekend I had some time to have a look on gtk2 and ff3.5. I also build a ff3.5 depending on tgcware instead of nekoware. It crashes in exactly the same way Dexter experienced many years ago. Since this problem occurs with gcc and mipspro and also with nekoware and tgcware, we can be quite sure this is not a problem of the compiler or any of the dependencies. The earliest ff3.1 beta releases also crashes in the same way,

edit: I removed my wrong gtk2 information. gtk2.18 is not running correctly with firefox.
Last edited by diegel on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:11 am

diegel wrote:I also build a ff3.5 depending on tgcware instead of nekoware. It crashes in exactly the same way Dexter experienced many years ago. Since this problem occurs with gcc and mipspro and also with nekoware and tgcware, we can be quite sure this is not a problem of the compiler or any of the dependencies. The earliest ff3.1 beta releases also crashes in the same way,

Proper coding skills, Diegel! Are you referring to that Bus Error i got when runing Firefox 3.5 some years ago?

Back then i couldn't get my head around as to where the problem was. Good to see that it is not glib/gtk but most likely the actual ff3.5 C++ source. If i remember properly, it has something to do with a misaligned cast of a structure, which is usually the case when Bus Error's occur on IRIX/MIPSPro platforms. See the xcircuit thread for a recent example, and that one was relatively easy (int <-> bool)

I must warn you though, this one is particularly hard to debug.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:02 am

Unfortunately, this bug is all Chinese to me...

MIPS N32 firefox's bus error problem and solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSojgPg5kc

:P
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
:O2: bluebox 200Mhz 256Mb AV1+O2Cam

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:34 am

jimmer wrote:Unfortunately, this bug is all Chinese to me...

MIPS N32 firefox's bus error problem and solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSojgPg5kc

This leads to: http://r0bertz.blogspot.nl/2009/04/mips-n32-firefox-in-acid3-test.html

Which leads to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/loongson-dev/xgCC2ukKygU/FB1_ge3l_OMJ

Which leads to a patch http://code.openhub.net/file?fid=NjowB5niPqOXxkL0xlgWIH41MZY&cid=1d9defo44NY&s=

And that is not Chinese and actually very very interesting!!! Not sure we can use this for Firefox 3.x in IRIX, but now i understand the code a bit better.

You, sir Jimmer, got yourself a free beer!
Last edited by dexter1 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spellz

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:54 am

FF3 bus errors are fixed, we have a running ff3 version now and some of these patches are part of the current version. ff3.5 and later have a different problems: it terminates during startup with an assignment error. I had a look at the patches of Zhang Le, who get ff3.5 running on a linux version for Loongson CPUs. He transformed the n32 stuff we already using for Irix to linux .

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:11 am

Thanks Diegel. Since this is all from 2009 it makes sense that much of this has already been part of the ff3.x code.
I'll try to look into it when i have some more time.

Return to “SGI: Development”