BasiliskII 1.0 for IRIX

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
necron2600

BasiliskII 1.0 for IRIX

Unread postby necron2600 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:22 am

Being able to run a financial package like Quicken (even if its from 1998) or Adobe Acrobat, or MS Word 6.0, Excel 5.0, Framemaker, Photoshop 4.0, etc.. on an SGI can be useful to some. BasiliskII brings Macintosh 68k apps to your SGI.

I tried searching for a newer version of BasiliskII for IRIX but did not have much luck with Nekochan's seach engine nor Google. I may not have tried hard enough though.. so hopefully I did not miss it.

I downloaded the latest BasiliskII source code (1.0 version.. where SGI freeware used 0.9).

Using GCC4.7 from nekoware

Basilisk with SDL support:
cd BasiliskII/src/Unix
NO_CONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-sdl-video --enable-sdl-audio --disable-vosf --disable-jit-compiler
# Option: modify Makefile to change -g with -Ofast and LDFLAGS = "-IPA" but not sure if that worked or not
gmake
strip BasiliskII

However, I had a hard time when running the X server in 8bit mode for 256 colors and BasiliskII with SDL support. The regular apps (non-games) work fine in any resolution, but old macintosh games usually require 256 colors.
If I disable SDL support when compiling, 8bit mode worked better when the X server was running in 8bit. Reviewing the original SGI Freeware BasiliskII binary.. I did not see any SDL support with it (through ldd).

Basilisk without SDL support:
cd BasiliskII/src/Unix
NO_CONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh
./configure --disable-vosf --disable-jit-compiler
gmake
strip BasiliskII

Neither binaries work with Ethernet on IRIX. I am not sure if SGI Freeware's BasiliskII version had Ethernet support or not. Since you can access UNIX filesystem/dirs within MacOS, Ethernet support is not really that useful (at least to me ;)

I am in no way an expert in compiling or development.. so if anyone spots any issues just note them.

Sometime soon I hope to create a nekoware tardist...

Binaries attached:
(tested on a Tezro, Octane, and O2 with latest Nekoware packages and IRIX 6.5.29 and 6.5.30.. all of them had the original SGI Freeware BasiliskII installed already.. I just replaced the binary at /usr/freeware/bin/BasiliskII)
Attachments
BasiliskII-binaries-to-replace-usr-freeware-bin-BasiliskII.tar.bz2
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
Last edited by foetz on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: attachment replaced. please only attach compressed files

necron2600

Re: BasiliskII 1.0 for IRIX

Unread postby necron2600 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:34 pm

Updated binary. SDL support with different color depths (such as 8bit/256 colors).
Compiled with GCC.
It seems slirp networking is supported too.

BasiliskII-with-colordepth.tar.gz
GCC compiled
(538.93 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

josehill

Re: BasiliskII 1.0 for IRIX

Unread postby josehill » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Very cool. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Thanks!

Return to “SGI: Development”