jpstewart wrote:(Sorry for the delay, I've been swamped lately.)
Ees no problem, when you're getting free help, beggars can't be choosers
The link line looks a little odd,
It looks to me like this weird-ass configure script is just setting some paths, then calling imake to create the Makefile ...
As a first guess, try leaving out all of the -L options except -Lrw, and leave out -nostdlib.
Tried that in the vain hope this would be easy but alas ...
A few evenings with techpubs (did you know Aspirin is like $5 a bottle now ?) and a lot of grunt work ... to recap :
1) 2.8.15 is the last version before the Guys that'r l33t to m33t jammed in fontconfig and other noncompismentis stuff. So for the moment, 2.8.15 is what we're trying
2) Went through all the configuration files and Makefiles and quadruple-checked or changed every path and/or feature that we don't have. Changed to mips4 and -O3. What the heck.
3) added the < X11/keysim.h > and < X11/keysimdef.h > includes to
(How does this kind of basic error exist for twenty years ?)
4) Changed the "index" operators to "strchr" per robespierre in
in 6 or 8 places
So now it finally builds all the object files. Yay.
When it crashed linking, pulled the crap that JP referred to and ran the link line manually. Used the warnings to get rid of some more errors.
Finally, we're at this point - only four failures --
Code: Select all
ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "WritePNGn" -- 1st referenced by print.o.
ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "basename" -- 1st referenced by rw/librw.a(readWriteLXP.o).
ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "TestPNG" -- 1st referenced by rw/librw.a(readWritePS.o).
ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "ReadPNG" -- 1st referenced by rw/librw.a(readWritePS.o).
ld32: INFO 152: Output file removed because of error.
these don't seem nearly as arcane as the earlier errors. The "print.o" failure is new but all the others are the same librw problem as before, just more rational ones.
So I probably have this wrong but ... the linker combines all the object files into a complete executable. The MIPSPro linker needs to have all the references defined before it can use them. Order counts. So wherever "TestPNG" is defined needs to come in the link line before it gets to librw, is that correct ?
Seems like that should be easy but so far I have not been successful
In case anyone outside the Asylum is wondering why I would bother, this program seems pretty good. It's actually nicer to use than PhotoShop* (personal opinion). It is not impossible to convert png's or jpegs to rgb first but would be nice if one didn't have to. It's pretty nice. Really.
* Inspired me to drag out the Intuous2 and install the Wackem driver. I tried Eclipse, Amazon Paint, PhotoShop and Illustrator. Illustrator was the only one that used the pressure or tilt pen features. And I don't especially like Illustrator. It's possible that the built-in Irix tablet driver is just as good as the Wackem one for 99 44/100 % Irix uses.
Back to the linking problem ... any nuts-and-bolts suggestions ? What am I doing wrong here ?