Mozilla cross platform front end Motif widget library

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Mozilla cross platform front end Motif widget library

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:04 pm

So I mentioned in another thread that I had the source code for [subject line] autoconfed, and some people mentioned that they might be interested in seeing it. Well, foetz did anyway... ;)

Disclaimer-wise, by dumping the Mozilla Makefiles and converting this to autoconf, I just did it as a quick hack. As soon as I got it working on my Linux box, I stopped, though I do have some Irix checks in the configure script I have not actually tried it on Irix yet. The last time I looked at this stuff before today was 2001, so of course I had to diddle around with it for a few hours to get it to work on today's vastly more "modern" linux. :lol:

If you build it it compiles the widgets into two static libraries and then and it builds a handful of programs which demonstrate the functionality of the widgets. Those are built in the "tests" subdirectory. You can run them from the command line but please note that closing the window that the programs run in does not kill the process! Not sure what's up with that. If you run them in the foreground (from the command line), after the window closes you'll note that you do not get the prompt back. The program is still running, do control-c to kill it. If you run the programs in the background (with "&") you will have to track down their process ID's and kill them with "kill -9". I do not recommend running them in the background. 8-) There is a README in the toplevel directory that describes this...

So yeah, here they are. Enjoy! 8-)

EDIT: Note that in order for the test programs to work right, you have to have the app-defaults files where the programs can see them. The easiest thing to do is copy them to the root of your home directory, removing the dot-ad (.ad) file extension from the filename. You really do have to do this or the programs are completely unusable, the widgets all pile in on top of themselves with no spacing. The right thing to do would have been to program them in as fallback resources, not sure why they didn't actually...
Attachments
xfewidgets.tar.gz
(405.84 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

foetz

Re: Mozilla cross platform front end Motif widget library

Unread postby foetz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:01 am

woohoo, thanks :D

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:27 am

foetz wrote:woohoo, thanks :D

Kudos to Mozilla for dragging the motif widgets kicking and screaming into the new millenium! However, like everything with Motif (and Viewkit), it dead-ended as no one else picked up the ball and ran with it. As a result we're cursed with GTK and KDE. Oh well, lemme know how it works for ya... 8-)
Project:
Plan:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:33 am

all great except for the tests makefile. the xfe libs need to come first on the link line. fixed one attached.

and here are the builds:
5.3: http://www.nekochan.net/downloads/foetz ... ts.tar.bz2
6.2: http://www.nekochan.net/downloads/foetz ... ts.tar.bz2
6.5: http://www.nekochan.net/downloads/foetz ... ts.tar.bz2

since -O3 is not supported for o32 objects i also added a ucode lib to the 5.3 package. all not stripped.
Attachments
Makefile.am.bz2
(624 Bytes) Downloaded 24 times

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks for the doctored up Makefile.am! It also fails miserably if you reverse the order of the two widget libraries on the link line. Oh and thanks for the builds too!

Here's a screenshot of the ToolBoxTest program, pretty fancy for stoopy 'ol Motif eh? And the button icons are MPL so they're free to use on anything, FOSS, closed source. Public domain... 8-)
Attachments
xfe_test.png
Project:
Plan:

Return to “SGI: Development”