New package: Updated MPlayer

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Axatax_

Re: New package: Updated MPlayer

Unread postby Axatax_ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Please go over the shell script and make sure the library paths are correct for your setup. libdca/x264 should be in /usr/local/MPlayer-1.1.1/lib. Your system is not finding libdca for some reason. Maybe try moving the contents of /usr/local/MPlayer-1.1.1/lib into /usr/local/lib and try again...

Axatax_

Unread postby Axatax_ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:32 pm

An hour was optomistic for those packages -- Brain is fried.

ETA sometime on 1/27.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:41 pm

Axatax_ wrote: Your system is not finding libdca for some reason ... Maybe try moving the contents of /usr/local/MPlayer-1.1.1/lib into /usr/local/lib and try again...

Because you are such a nice person I will not scald you with the dragon-breath fricasee :P /usr/local on my computer is the gateway to Hell, abandon all hope, ye who enter here ... :D

I did try messing with the script to some extent, it should have worked but refused. I'm a tcsh-er, that probably has something to do with it.

So I just put the mplayer tree into the /opt directory, renamed mplayer to mplay so I wouldn't accidentally get the Other Mplayer, then swiped < setenv LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH /opt/mplayer/lib > into my winterm. Then ran < /opt/mplayer/bin/mplay -vo gl2 /usr/people/me/hotsytotsy/videofile.avi > and all went smoothly.

newmplay.jpg

yay ! It plays ! Don't have enough time in to make comments but one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind :D

(The time signature in the upper left corner looks strange tho. Odd font problem ?)

gracias, muchacho !

oooh ooh oooh. Ran a couple of old 'problem' files through. Three out of four now play .. at the age of thirty-seven, she realized she'd never ride through Paris in a sportscar with the warm wind in her hair ...

nice :D :D :D
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:54 am

This is exciting, actually having an up-to-date mplayer here...
Now that I'm a VPro user I may have a chance to optimize the vpro path (when I previously worked on the sgi vo for mplayer, I had only an O2... all other platform paths were implemented by reading docs and hoping things worked...)

Axatax_

Unread postby Axatax_ » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:24 pm

yay ! It plays ! Don't have enough time in to make comments but one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind :D

:) .. Well, that's exactly what it is -- a very small step. It's MPlayer 1.1.1 that works on IRIX. It still needs quite a bit of work (and I'm working on it, and I hope other ppl. here will too...)

I'm packaging up this release now as *.tardists.

Axatax_

Unread postby Axatax_ » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:36 pm

Because you are such a nice person I will not scald you with the dragon-breath fricasee :P /usr/local on my computer is the gateway to Hell, abandon all hope, ye who enter here ...

That's just habit. I put self-compiled stuff in /usr/local, and commerical SW in /opt.

Axatax_

Unread postby Axatax_ » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Hamei -- What fonts do you currently have installed?

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:28 am

Axatax_ wrote:Hamei -- What fonts do you currently have installed?

Oi. A lot. All the original ones and several more I liked ... but ditched the pseudo-Adobe fonts that SGI jammed down our throats at 23. There's probably a setting for that in the mplayer configuration file ?

I'll wait for your 'dist. No point in doing this twice. The goofy letters don't bother me, I turn off the on-screen display anyhow.

I may not be a good test for a lot of the 'advanced' features ... I just watch videos with it, don't even use an interface beyond the key combos.

Axatax_

Unread postby Axatax_ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:02 am

You guys are gonna have something today. There's just alot of puzzle pieces to this SW and I want to make sure it's done right the first time, and it can co-exist with the 1.0* MPlayer. 16p O300 is burning the midnight oil right now re-building this until it's acceptable.

I'm getting this SW into the position we can do nightly builds or whatever with relative ease.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 am

Longshot here, but you think that eventually you can port the MPlayer fork mpv - people have been saying MPlayer is dying
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Axatax_

Unread postby Axatax_ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:56 am

Longshot here, but you think that eventually you can port the MPlayer fork mpv - people have been saying MPlayer is dying

Maybe -- ft this a spiritual successor to MPlayer. I'm going to check it out.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:51 pm

TeamBlackFox wrote:Longshot here, but you think that eventually you can port the MPlayer fork mpv -

Not to be an obstreperous bastard here but if you take a look at all those fork sites (mplayer2, xmplayer, mpv, &c) you will see that the major reason for their fork is "the mplayer team was too obstinate about 'cleaning up the code and getting rid of all that old cruft'. "

Old cruft = Irix. That's us, folks.

I spent a little effort talking to the xmplayer people because a single MIPS cpu is kinda slow for today's software. Two should be better and xmplayer was pushing smp. A short but accurate description of these forkers would be "asshole".

people have been saying MPlayer is dying

People say a lot of things ...

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 pm

I did benchmarks a while ago on a dual 300MHz MIPS Octane2 to the dual 1.2GHz ARMv7 CPU in my cellular - but of course they weren't but so relative. That phone has 512MB RAM, so I loaded 512MB in the Octane, and I forced software decoding on my phone running mplayer to the Octane running mplayer, V8 graphics hardware.

The Octane dropped only 15% more frames in pure software decoding on XviD video at 640x480 at a relatively high bitrate. My phone is a midrange generic T-Mobile smartphone. If I changed it to gl2 or sgi for the mplayer, then it would close the gap to only 9%. My 600MHz dual Octane is out of comission at the minute due to waiting on a part.

Also, hamei, mpv mostly got rid of little used features of mplayer, and it still builds on MIPS systems according to my discussions on the mailing list. I imagine Axatax would have some nasty backporting to do though to get all the nice optimisations going good.

One of these days when I'm done with my C course at college I'll look into porting xine - C applications seem to have an easier time running on IRIX.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Axatax_

Unread postby Axatax_ » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:52 pm

OK guys --

I just sent a metric ton of updated packages to /incoming relating to this project. Sorry for the delay on this -- getting the dependencies correct to work with both old/new MPlayers are somewhat of a challenge. :?

There's also a new "old" MPlayer that corrects the speex dependency and corrects some other Q/C-type issues -- LMK if this works OK.

Everything should be a 100% drop in/clean update if I handled this correctly. Please test and let me know.

If you want to play with the new mplayer, the .tar.gz in my directory still pertains. This is going to be a proper .tardist soon, but there's alot of "parts" to this, and I want to get it into a state where I can essentially automate routine builds of this.

Thanks for hanging in...

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Axatax_ wrote:OK guys --

I just sent a metric ton of updated packages to /incoming relating to this project.

Thank you, Mr Ax. Appreciate it very much.

Back to On Any Sunday (hey, it's Sunday, right ?)

Return to “SGI: Development”