beta test: neko_gtk2-2.18.9

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
recondas

beta test: neko_gtk2-2.18.9

Unread postby recondas » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:26 am

I'm gonna call it a must have if you're running the nekoware version of FireFox3.

Background discussion in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16728505#p7368304

Count my post as vote #1 for promotion from beta status.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

diegel
Donor
Donor

Re: beta test: neko_gtk2-2.18.9

Unread postby diegel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 pm

At my installation there is a problem with the download dialog. ff3 hangs after opening the download window.. I will have a look at this.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:11 pm

diegel wrote:At my installation there is a problem with the download dialog. ff3 hangs after opening the download window.. I will have a look at this.

This was the problem I had also. It looks like it's downloading but nothing happens.

What I found was that they broke something at 2.13.3 If you read the < changes > file from that version there are some clues. Downloading and Save as ... downloading works perfectly at 2.13.2

I'd rather see a real fix than the hatchet job I did, so I'll keep quiet for now on the Hacksaw Reynolds approach to software development :D
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:57 am

Hamei, if I understand your release notes correctly, you "fixed" the problem by using the makefile from 2.13.2?

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:08 am

diegel wrote:Hamei, if I understand your release notes correctly, you "fixed" the problem by using the makefile from 2.13.2?

Did you have to tell the whole world ?

Yes. That works. Now, if you would figure out exactly why, that would be great :P The clue is in the changelog of 2.13.3

(Makefile.am, actually. And I did have a reason to think that might work but don't feel like holding myself up for more public ridicule today.)

You can run right up to 2.21.7 with what's currently in nekoware, by the way. At 2.21.8 we need an upgrade to gdk-pixbuf, which is not a problem, that builds straight-out. After that the next hump is glib but even that doesn't look to be a major hurdle. I think we (yes, there's a mouse in my pocket) can get this thing up to a fairly new version without too much trouble.
Last edited by hamei on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:19 am

That must be magic:

Code: Select all

diff glib-2.13.2/Makefile.am glib-2.13.3/Makefile.am
returns nothing, they are exactly the same.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 am

diegel wrote:That must be magic:

diff glib-2.13.2/Makefile.am glib-2.13.3/Makefile.am
returns nothing, they are exactly the same.

At 2.13.3 I also had to copy over a couple other files. Somewhere up the road I forgot to copy those files and it still worked. I'd been here before, built 2.18-something, it looked lovely but doesn't download. So downloading is my litmus test.

2.21.7 is currently running and downloads fine. All I've been doing since 2.14-something is copying the older Makefile.am into the new tree ...

I dunno. Works here ... I can try building one without that step, but last time I did that I got exactly your result. Looked perfect. Did everything but download.

The Bamboo Curtain affects software ?

I did take notes, give me a minute ...

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:47 am

My fault, I just compared glib and not gtk versions. But still the same at gtk no differences between the Makefile.am.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:54 am

Rats :( There may be a slightly bigger hurdle at 2.21.8 than I anticipated.

cc-1005 c99: ERROR File = gdkdnd-x11.c, Line = 33
  The source file "X11/extensions/Xcomposite.h" is unavailable.

#include <X11/extensions/Xcomposite.h>
                                        ^

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "gdkdnd-x11.c".
Compilation terminated.

So if you get the downloading fingerred out, 2.21.7 is an okay place to jump.

It will be interesting to see if gcc behaves the same way as MIPSPro in this case ...

jpstewart
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jpstewart » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:41 am

hamei wrote:After that the next hump is glib but even that doesn't look to be a major hurdle.

Unfortunately, there is a big hurdle with glib at 2.31 and beyond. At least if you're building with MIPS Pro. GCC should work. (They started using constructors in C code at that point. It is apparently supported by the MSVC, Sun, and GCC compilers. They don't support MIPS Pro, and I don't think MIPS Pro has the necessary features for us to add it to the list.) At least that's what I have in my notes from trying to go too far with GLib. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though!

hamei wrote:Rats :( There may be a slightly bigger hurdle at 2.21.8 than I anticipated.

cc-1005 c99: ERROR File = gdkdnd-x11.c, Line = 33
  The source file "X11/extensions/Xcomposite.h" is unavailable.

#include <X11/extensions/Xcomposite.h>

I'm not surprised to see that error. I believe the composite extension is too new to be supported by IRIX. I'm surprised they've made it a requirement, though.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:44 am

gtk+-2.21.7 works and download menus are also working. I will test it some time before I make a package.

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:53 am

I made some more tests: no gtk2 version higher than 2.12 seems to work. Fastest test is gtk-demo (Pickers). Currently I run 2.12.12 this is faster than the previous version and compiles without any changes. I will make a package with this soon.

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:54 pm

I uploaded neko_gtk+-2.12.12.tardist to incoming now for testing. It works fine on my Fuel, Tezro and O2.

Later versions have problems on Irix/nekoware. I think this is not a problem of the gtk+ code, I suspect a nekoware dependency, possibly glib. tgcware has a gtk+2.16.6 for Irix 6.2, it should not be impossible to build this for 6.5..

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 pm

diegel wrote:I uploaded neko_gtk+-2.12.12.tardist to incoming now for testing. It works fine on my Fuel, Tezro and O2.

Later versions have problems on Irix/nekoware.

Doubtless you are right for general use as a toolkit. I had to disable all the tests long ago ...

But for supporting Firefox, I'm currently using 2.21.7 and everything works much better. It's enough to make you not hate fireflop as much. On the fool, it's as good or better than the one running on the Windders and Orphans box a few feet away.

I think this is not a problem of the gtk+ code, I suspect a nekoware dependency, possibly glib. tgcware has a gtk+2.16.6 for Irix 6.2, it should not be impossible to build this for 6.5..

That would be really good.

I have to disagree about gtk2 tho. Travelling up the version chain one step at a time I saw some truly awful stuff. It's as if gtk2 was built by the children who failed to make the retarded olympics. For example, at 2.21.8 they arbitrarily changed all the icon names. They are careless enough about footprint to insist on gail (totally worthless) but can't keep the earlier icons around for the applications which require them. This is beyond stupid :

(firefox-bin:299464): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'gtk-go-back-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
        http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

(firefox-bin:299464): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-go-back-ltr' for stock: Icon 'gtk-go-back-ltr' not present in theme
moz_run_program[36]: 299464 Bus error

A toolkit that requires installing a "theme" because they removed half the stock icons that people have been using for 21 major versions and renamed half the rest. For what point ? Just to fuck with people ? They are the same icons at the same size, just different names that don't match what people have been using for years. Then we hunt down the "hicolor theme" and find that

fool 37% cat README
This is the default fallback theme used by implementations of the icon
theme specification.

The specification is availible at:
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/icon-theme-spec/

To install this package in /usr just run:
make PREFIX=/usr

The canonical location for this package is in the cvs repository for
freedesktop.org. If you add translations, please send them to
xdg-list@freedesktop.org for inclusion in a later release.

Except < (g)make PREFIX=/usr/nekoware > does exactly nothing, why is that ?

fool 107% pwd
/usr/people/dev/default-icon-theme-0.13
fool 108% ls
COPYING    Makefile.in  autogen.sh      configure.ac  install-sh
ChangeLog  README       autom4te.cache  index.theme   spec
fool 109%

Do you see a makefile in there ? or a configure ? Way hey, let's go find hicolor v0.5, in that "distribution" there is actually a configure script ! Woo hoo ! but of course it still doesn't work ... same old :

(firefox-bin:299464): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'gtk-go-back-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
        http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

Oh yeah ?

fool 122% pwd
/usr/nekoware/share/gtk-2.0
fool 123% ls
hicolor
fool 124%

I'm sorry, it's just shit. I know that software development is not a picnic but this is just pure unadulterated no-quality worthless untested shit.

But it's free !

Great. I wish they all had tickets on a Korean ferryboat.

Anyway, for the sake of firefox usability, banging on gtk2 to make it better is worthwhile. Any grunt work I can do, just yell.

edit : ooh. I see I have glib 2.28.8 and there's even a thread here from when duck, shade, j-j and jpstewart were helping to climb that arduous ladder. (thank you once again, guys. hope it helps the nekoware situation.) Search "monotonic clock" and there may be some helpful information. This may also be partly why my firefox performs better and I have fewer problems with gtk2 higher than 2.12.2 .... but it may also be where the std::bad alloc problems came from. Altho I don't see those now with the newer gtk2's ...

diegel
Donor
Donor

Unread postby diegel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 am

Did you try my package, or do you compare your 2.21 installation with your 2.12 build?

You can find my package at ftp://ftp.nekoware.de/diegel/neko_gtk+-2.12.12.tardist

Return to “SGI: Development”