beta test: firefox3.0.19

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Vladio
Donor
Donor

Re: beta test: firefox3.0.19

Unread postby Vladio » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 am

I just bought an Octane 2 and am very new to Irix but I'm learning.

first, thank you to everyone that's worked at getting a modern browser up and running on Irix/SGI. It's been 30 years since I used Unix and it's coming back, albeit slowly. I love the machine and am learning to love the OS as well.

My Octane had Mozilla 1.x.x that did work and was stable. It was relatively fast and really didn't have many issues when I used it. I just updated to FF 3.0.19 and have it running. I'm having some issues that are outside my knowledge with the OS and, as much as I hate to post, I really could use some help. 3.0.19 is running slow and erratic. I have areas that turn black when the cursor moves over them and data input boxes that will black out when I try to type something in. The browser is very slow as well. I assume I have either a conflict or outdated supporting file somewhere but, like I mentioned, I'm not up to speed at that level to fix it. I am a fast learner though.

If anyone has run into this and can offer up some help I'd appreciate it. My goal was to wipe the OS (which I just did) and install FF to use and get familiar with. This is the last piece of that puzzle and then I'll be doing more work at learning more about IRIS so I'm eager to fix this issue. Please keep in mind that I'm a base level newby.

Thanks so much!
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:49 pm

Have you set the xserver to use 24-bit color? http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/True_Color
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Vladio
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Vladio » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Changing the color depth didn't work but fixpath did.

I assume I did this correctly... I uncompressed the neko_fixpath.tar.gz file that was on the desktop then dragged it onto the firefox icon. I guess that since I'm not getting these blacked out areas that it went as it was suppose to.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:34 pm

Vladio wrote:I assume I did this correctly... I uncompressed the neko_fixpath.tar.gz file that was on the desktop then dragged it onto the firefox icon. I guess that since I'm not getting these blacked out areas that it went as it was suppose to.

Umm, yes, well ... errr ... I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure that neko_fixpath is a script to automate adding nekoware to your path. If nekoware comes first, then the /usr/nekoware apps and libraries get used (if they exist) in preference to the older Irix ones. Most of nekoware will need this to function. You could do the same thing by hand if you want, neko_fixpath is just a handy way to accomplish that.

Not sure what you actually did, but I don't think it will have the effect you want :)

It's interesting that you saw a change tho. I wonder what fireflop did with that script ? Or fireflop never saw it, Irix tried to open flopsy with that script as an argument and the script accidentally got run as a side-effect ? Any of you script-masters out there have an idea ?
What country do you want to go to ? ... Wyoming

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:02 am

It's interesting that you saw a change tho. I wonder what fireflop did with that script ? Or fireflop never saw it, Irix tried to open flopsy with that script as an argument and the script accidentally got run as a side-effect ? Any of you script-masters out there have an idea ?
Too scary for me to even try, who wrote neko_fixpath? There should at least be a few comment lines at the top of the script that says what it's supposed to do. And anyway, if all it's supposed to do is put /usr/bin/nekoware at the top of your path, you can do that with a single line in your ~/.profile:

Code: Select all

PATH="/usr/bin/nekoware:$PATH"
:P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:17 pm

it's actually /usr/nekoware/bin but either way a good idea to set your env vars yourself instead of having any script mess with them

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:26 pm

foetz wrote:it's actually /usr/nekoware/bin but either way a good idea to set your env vars yourself instead of having any script mess with them

Yup that was a typo, I meant /usr/nekoware/bin ... :oops:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 pm

haha you shall be forgiven :P

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:29 pm

foetz wrote:haha you shall be forgiven

After making amends. 50 pushups, pledge ! :P
pooshups.jpg
pooshups.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 1105 times

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:02 pm

I installed Firefox3 from Nekoware/stable using nekosync on my 'new' Octane/SSI (fresh install of 6.5.16 then patch 5086 then update to 6.5.22). On start I get:

IRIS 1% firefox3
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

(firefox-bin:1423): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/nekoware/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders': No such file or directory

(firefox-bin:1423): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/nekoware/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders': No such file or directory

(firefox-bin:1423): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 2744: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 2769: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 2744: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 2769: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_font_find_shaper: assertion `font != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_font_find_shaper: assertion `font != NULL' failed

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:
No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.
PangoFc will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
  '/usr/nekoware/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running:
  pango-querymodules > '/usr/nekoware/etc/pango/pango.modules'

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

(firefox-bin:1423): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_font_describe: assertion `font != NULL' failed
moz_run_program[36]: 1423 Memory fault(coredump)

Firefox2, on which I'm typing this, is running flawlessly.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Geoman wrote:I installed Firefox3 from Nekoware/stable using nekosync on my 'new' Octane/SSI (fresh install of 6.5.16 then patch 5086 then update to 6.5.22). On start I get:

IRIS 1% firefox3

Since I've just been through this ... you've got errors in your fonts setup. You're not seeing them in other programs because the traditional apps use X but Fireflop is dependent on freetype and fontconfig. Fireflop3 definitely needs fontconfig running correctly to work.

Even in a generally usable state, I was seeing the occasional pango gdk-pixbuf etc warning: notices, followed shortly by a crash. With my current well-oiled highly-tuned font setup, those have gone away completely.

(Still get the occasional std:badalloc and a core dump tho. Not too often but once in a while.)

Firefox2, on which I'm typing this, is running flawlessly.

And displaying in a 4" wide stripe down the center of the window :( Unfortunately, Flop2 doesn't work correctly on a whole bunch of sites.

You're right, it did not seem to be as persnickety, tho.

You may have some other problems too, but the errors you are getting are exactly the same as what I was seeing, which are now corrected by fixing the fonts setup. And I finally got the chinese working, too. Yay !

A word of warning : if you only mess around with fontconfig, you're safe. I think canavan put a working nekoware setup in fonts.conf (or whatever the config file is named). Make your additions to a file < local.conf > and save backups.

But if you dive deeper and make changes to X, definitely save the originals so that when you single-user in, all you have to do is some renaming. If your fonts setup is screwed up, it's quite possible that you won't be able to start X. This is an uncomfortable situation :cry: (And kind of a stupidity on X'es part, if you ask me. But nobody did, so it is what it is ...)

Also if you make changes to the X end of things, do not repeat do not forget as root to < xset fp rehash > after you make any changes or you will be sooo sorry. :oops: You can also set the bootup screen to verbose, that will give you some hints - such as "Error in item 3 of fontpath, starting from 0" right before XSgi refuses to start.

It was worth it in the end tho, imo. Now when I ask for Helvetica, I get Helvetica. The very same Helvetica that the printer uses, not something kinda-sorta similar.

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:25 am

hamei wrote:Since I've just been through this ... you've got errors in your fonts setup. You're not seeing them in other programs because the traditional apps use X but Fireflop is dependent on freetype and fontconfig. Fireflop3 definitely needs fontconfig running correctly to work.

The green box is now my "Nekoware-Beta-Testing-Spree-Machine", and I thought with a clean IRIX installation this package out of Nekoware/current should work when proper installed (all prerequisites installed and so on).

The interesting thing is, that on my Octane2 on which I type this using FF3 everything works right - so is it 6.5.30 over 22 or was fontconfig corrected by installing some other Nekoware on it(=the Octane2)?

hamei wrote:Even in a generally usable state, I was seeing the occasional pango gdk-pixbuf etc warning: notices, followed shortly by a crash. With my current well-oiled highly-tuned font setup, those have gone away completely.

(Still get the occasional std:badalloc and a core dump tho. Not too often but once in a while.)

You may have some other problems too, but the errors you are getting are exactly the same as what I was seeing, which are now corrected by fixing the fonts setup. And I finally got the chinese working, too. Yay !

A word of warning : if you only mess around with fontconfig, you're safe. I think canavan put a working nekoware setup in fonts.conf (or whatever the config file is named). Make your additions to a file < local.conf > and save backups.

Should Canavan's modifications then be a prerequisite when installing neko_firefox3.0.19.tardist or automatically changed during install?

hamei wrote:It was worth it in the end tho, imo. Now when I ask for Helvetica, I get Helvetica. The very same Helvetica that the printer uses, not something kinda-sorta similar.

That is how it should be :)
BTW it's cool that SGI licensed Helvetica for IRIX back in the days...
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:45 am

Geoman wrote:Should Canavan's modifications then be a prerequisite when installing neko_firefox3.0.19.tardist or automatically changed during install?

I had a little struggle with that myself .. iirc, canavan added the infinality subpixel rendering options to freetype. Unless you build freetype 2.5.2 yourself with that enabled, that's so far the nicest.

I guess the defaults must be okay, most people don't have this trouble but you and I must have screwed things up :P

IRIS 1% firefox3

Fontconfig's method was to offer several different sample configs, then you could choose the one you liked and rename or link to that. I had to study a little to see what it really wanted.

Their other suggestion, to add any local enhancements to local.conf and leave the fonts.conf file pretty much alone was a good one. When you upgrade you lose your nice modified fonts.conf. Ask me how I know :( Local.conf will stay the same.

The configuration files and examples are under

/usr/nekoware/etc/fonts

there are samples in the /conf.avail directory, canavan's default fonts.conf should work for most people ? but I probaly messed it up ... your first error message was "fontconfig not available" or similar, so you are most likely in the same boat as me. And your fireflop error messages were the same as mine.

Thorough (but not so well-written) instructions should be here :

/usr/nekoware/share/doc/fontconfig

Recently, nekoware is just as good but doesn't get tested or upgraded as much, so you have to struggle a little more.

BTW it's cool that SGI licensed Helvetica for IRIX back in the days...

Display Postscript, too :D

Jack Luminous
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Jack Luminous » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:04 am

First post from Octane2 freshly configured with Firefox3 installed this morning ! YEAH ! Thanks to everyone who contributed to make this work ! I'm gonna post some hinv next ! 8-)
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Works fine over here, at work at the minute so not using it now, at home can browse on Yuyuko and Mima very well.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Return to “SGI: Development”