Is it possible to port WINE to IRIX?

IRIX/Nekoware development, porting and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

Re: Is it possible to port WINE to IRIX?

Unread postby hamei » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:43 am

VenomousPinecone wrote:Hey, DOOM is all you need baby.

Pffffft ! Graveyardshift !

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:03 am

maverickbna wrote:Cool. What would you say about the O2's CRM graphics board on Q3?

The bragging rights about playing Quake III on an SGI system is rather impressive to me. 8-)

speaking from personal experience, I would have to say no. my O2 is more of a decoration than a big powerhouse system though.

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:09 pm

hamei wrote:

Pffffft ! Graveyardshift !

Legend of the Red Dragon, how often do you get to play a game that rewards you for killing people in their sleep?

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:15 am

ChristTrekker wrote:What nekonoko means ...

Heh. Look up what W-I-N-E stands for (yes, it's an acronym). I don't "mean" anything - just correcting a misconception that's clearly stated in the project's name - Wine Is Not an Emulator.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

ChristTrekker

Unread postby ChristTrekker » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:23 pm

nekonoko wrote:I don't "mean" anything - just correcting a misconception that's clearly stated in the project's name

I know, but your post was very terse. Some readers may have missed the connection, or not really understand emulation vs other means of running non-native software.
Principle Over Politics : http://www.ConstitutionParty.org

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Besides, WINE and CEDEGA suck. Don't believe me? try and get STEAM with HL/2 working with WINE. Just use windows for your gaming and stop trying to be elitist. :P

THAT would be really interesting and very fun to see at a LAN party. Wait a sec, I still have the leaked HL2 beta source code someplace.

*starts digging around*

Here it is!

*holds up a 650Mb Magneto Optical cartridge with "HL2 Beta Source Code" written on it*

How easy is it to port Microsoft C++ to Irix? ;)
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

modology

Unread postby modology » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:42 am

dude, if you can port it up to IRIX. It'd be freakin damn awesome. I'd give you lots of kissed if you can make it lol :lol:

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:08 am

pentium wrote:I still have the leaked HL2 beta source code someplace.

*starts digging around*

Here it is!

*holds up a 650Mb Magneto Optical cartridge with "HL2 Beta Source Code" written on it*

Now that you've publicly announced that bit of information, you might want to postpone your next trip to the US, especially if someone offers you a job as an in-house security auditor.

Between that post and the pictures you put up of your last trip, they've probably already pulled copies off the border cams to analyze what's in your way overloaded car.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:42 am

modology wrote:dude, if you can port it up to IRIX. It'd be freakin damn awesome. I'd give you lots of kissed if you can make it lol :lol:

The only use I could see for a native port of Wine is that it would give a native mips win32 api, of course the only use for that is if you have some native win32 application that you want to port quick and dirty to Irix (i'm assuming you would own such source-code legally or that it was opensource win32 software etc.)
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:05 am

modology wrote:dude, if you can port it up to IRIX. It'd be freakin damn awesome. I'd give you lots of kissed if you can make it lol :lol:

I'll call Valve first, just to be safe.
You never know, they might be nice enough to grant us permission (but I doubt it) as it would be porting it to a dead-end platform that works on a selection of systems that not many people own let alone have heard of.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

noisetonepause

Unread postby noisetonepause » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:52 pm

pentium wrote:

You never know, they might be nice enough to grant us permission (but I doubt it) as it would be porting it to a dead-end platform that works on a selection of systems that not many people own let alone have heard of.

I wouldn't put it past Valve to contact the authorities if you tell them you have the source. You really shouldn't.

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:42 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
pentium wrote:

I wouldn't put it past Valve to contact the authorities if you tell them you have the source. You really shouldn't.

True.
Idea withheld.

ritchan

Unread postby ritchan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:52 am

Q3A video: mmmmm.... Eizo monitor goodness running IRIX... best of both worlds.

In any case, those graphics look horrible. Those settings look like those which I used on my S3 ProSavage. Except it lags more.
Originally Posted by Tommie
Please delete your post. It is an insult to all the hard work society has put into making you an intelligent being.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:51 am

What windows mips options exist? As I far as I can remember, the only ones provided by SGI were an emulator that could run Windows 98 and a never released version of Windows NT for the Indigo 2. I saw a couple on eBay years ago, but haven't much about them since.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

porter

Unread postby porter » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:16 pm

directedition wrote:What windows mips options exist?

NT 4.0 was available for PowerPC, Dec-Alpha, i386 and MIPS.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.

Return to “SGI: Development”