Tezro Quad R16K 700MHz, 7GB , V12, DCD, DM-3, 1GBe, USB, 2x Dual 2Gb FC, Dual Serial

A place to post hardware inventories.
Forum rules
Please post your 'hinv' in the following format:

Topic: Kind of machine (O2, Octane, Tezro, Onyx2, etc.), CPU (R10k 250MHz, R12k 300MHz, R16k 1GHz, etc.), RAM, graphics option (Example: Tezro V12 4xR16K 700MHz 4GB)

Body: output of hinv -v (hinv -vm if possible) and /usr/gfx/gfxinfo.

Please wrap the output in BBCode "code" blocks to improve legibility.
Irinikus

Tezro Quad R16K 700MHz, 7GB , V12, DCD, DM-3, 1GBe, USB, 2x Dual 2Gb FC, Dual Serial

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:48 am

My Tezro:

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG
Last edited by Irinikus on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

Irinikus

Re: Tezro Quad R16K 700MHz, 7GB , V12, DM-3, Gigabit ethernet, USB Card, 2x Dual 4 Gigabit Fibre-channel, Dual Serial Ca

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:21 am

This machine is about to get an upgrade in the form of a quad 1GHz node board and an extra GB of ram, taking it to full spec. Thanks to mopar5150!

I will post an updated hinv for the system, once the new parts are fitted.

Edit:
Wonderful system, congrats on the CPU upgrade :)

You've also got an awesome system! :D

I had been messing around with the system for the past few days, getting a fresh install of IRIX onto it when I saw a quad 1GHz node board pop up on eBay - I simply couldn't resist the possibility of upgrading the system to full spec.

The quad 700MHz setup seems to fly when compared to my Octane2 and Onyx2, which both have the max CPU spec fitted, so it will be extremely interesting to see how the Quad 1GHz setup performs relatively speaking.
Last edited by Irinikus on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image

devv

Re: Tezro Quad R16K 700MHz, 7GB , V12, DM-3, Gigabit ethernet, USB Card, 2x Dual 4 Gigabit Fibre-channel, Dual Serial Ca

Unread postby devv » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 am

Wonderful system, congrats on the CPU upgrade :)
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

marshallh

Unread postby marshallh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:37 pm

Nice one! I have a quad 800 and dual 800, I use the dual 800 a lot more as it generates significantly less heat and runs quieter. I'd guess the 4x1g to be quite a bit louder even!

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:19 pm

marshallh wrote:Nice one! I have a quad 800 and dual 800, I use the dual 800 a lot more as it generates significantly less heat and runs quieter. I'd guess the 4x1g to be quite a bit louder even!

I think the quad 1GHz system is unfortunately going to be quite a bit louder, as there are an extra 3 small fans placed on the intake side of the shroud that covers the CPU’s.

Small fans do tend to be be annoying in the noise they make, so we’ll just have to wait and see.

As far as heat-generation goes, my quad 700MHz setup is like a little hairdryer, so I suppose the quad 1GHz setup is probably going to be like a heat gun in comparison! 8-)
Image ... Image

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:18 am

Irinikus wrote:I think the quad 1GHz system is unfortunately going to be quite a bit louder, as there are an extra 3 small fans placed on the intake side of the shroud that covers the CPU’s.

I think the main problem with the noise is not so much that they're small fans, but that there's a dozen of them, in different shapes and sizes, which creates all sorts of weird resonances.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:39 pm

jan-jaap wrote:
Irinikus wrote:I think the quad 1GHz system is unfortunately going to be quite a bit louder, as there are an extra 3 small fans placed on the intake side of the shroud that covers the CPU’s.

I think the main problem with the noise is not so much that they're small fans, but that there's a dozen of them, in different shapes and sizes, which creates all sorts of weird resonances.

The loudest fans I've ever heard are the ones in my dual-Xeon, they sound like Banshees on meth until the PWM kicks in, which is in rc.local, which of course is at the end of the boot process. I usually just leave the room until that happens... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

shutitalldown

Unread postby shutitalldown » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:28 am

how much was for the ram-kit?
and for what (=which app) do you need 8GB of ram?
Pointless reminders of the human ego:
  • arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy
  • because you have nothing to hide
  • is no different than saying you don't care about free speech
  • because you have nothing to say

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:23 am

I already have 6GB of premium RAM in the machine and the new module has 4GB of premium RAM installed in it, so I didn’t pay more for the RAM kit.

I don’t run any applications that will make use of 8GB of RAM in this machine, I only want an 8GB RAM complement to complete the machine.
Image ... Image

shutitalldown

Unread postby shutitalldown » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:11 am

is there a way on IRIX to use a part of the system ram as "ramdisk" ?
Pointless reminders of the human ego:
  • arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy
  • because you have nothing to hide
  • is no different than saying you don't care about free speech
  • because you have nothing to say

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:10 am

shutitalldown wrote:is there a way on IRIX to use a part of the system ram as "ramdisk" ?

There's sample code in the Developer Toolkit for IRIX 6.2, but it came with several caveats and was never ported to IRIX 6.5.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:32 am

For future planning, I intend setting this system up as a full Flame system once I'm finished with the upgrade.

Just one question: Making use of the process needed to get around the need of having a Discrete Stone disk array in the setup, would it be at all possible to make use of my SUN V880z to fulfil this purpose over a fibre channel switch, as It has space for 12 fibre channel drives?

I would really like to avoid having to go out and buy a fibre channel disk array if at all possible. (It just looks untidy and its an unnecessary expense if I can make use of my SUN server instead.)
Image ... Image

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:22 am

Irinikus wrote:For future planning, I intend setting this system up as a full Flame system once I'm finished with the upgrade.

Just one question: Making use of the process needed to get around the need of having a Discrete Stone disk array in the setup, would it be at all possible to make use of my SUN V880z to fulfil this purpose over a fibre channel switch, as It has space for 12 fibre channel drives?

I would really like to avoid having to go out and buy a fibre channel disk array if at all possible. (It just looks untidy and its an unnecessary expense if I can make use of my SUN server instead.)

This would be difficult, and depends on your switch. I had a nightmare and gave up using a brocade switch because all it did was publish the WN and sw_config wouldn't / couldn't pick it up.

Interesting if you can get this to work.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:31 am

It would take some time to acquire the necessary infrastructure but this might be a valid opportunity to experiment with a 10Gbe switch setup if it's possible.

I just really like to know whether it's feasible or not, as it would be really cool to have the SUN and SGI systems working together!
Image ... Image

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:48 am

Not even sure there is a version of Wire+Tap for Sun, unless you run LINUX of some kind on the SUN?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Return to “SGI: hinv”