Tezro Quad R16K 700MHz (Now Quad 1GHz), 6GB , V12, DCD, DM-3, 1GBe, USB, 2x Dual 2Gb FC, Dual Serial

A place to post hardware inventories.
Forum rules
Please post your 'hinv' in the following format:

Topic: Kind of machine (O2, Octane, Tezro, Onyx2, etc.), CPU (R10k 250MHz, R12k 300MHz, R16k 1GHz, etc.), RAM, graphics option (Example: Tezro V12 4xR16K 700MHz 4GB)

Body: output of hinv -v (hinv -vm if possible) and /usr/gfx/gfxinfo.

Please wrap the output in BBCode "code" blocks to improve legibility.
Irinikus

Re: Tezro Quad R16K 700MHz, 7GB , V12, DM-3, Gigabit ethernet, USB Card, 2x Dual 4 Gigabit Fibre-channel, Dual Serial Ca

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:05 am

uunix wrote: Not even sure there is a version of Wire+Tap for Sun, unless you run LINUX of some kind on the SUN?

The system has an XVR-4000 installed in it, so I'm going to be installing Solaris 10 on the system, as it has native support for the XVR-4000.(I don't think that there are drivers for this card in LINUX.)

If all else fails, I suppose I could always try to get my hands on one of these bad-boy's:

clar-front-1.jpg

I just don't want a rack mount unit!

If I absolutely must go with a rack mount unit then something like this would be acceptable:

Sun_STK_6140.jpg
Last edited by Irinikus on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

jwhat

Re: Tezro Quad R16K 700MHz, 7GB , V12, DM-3, Gigabit ethernet, USB Card, 2x Dual 4 Gigabit Fibre-channel, Dual Serial Ca

Unread postby jwhat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Irinikus,

The top unit is sgi version of EMC Clarion (I used to have one..).

They were 1GB FC-AL interface with FC 3.5” disks. Suggest you avoid these as native FC disk only have small capacities and are no longer made. If you are looking for FC-AL connected disks, then suggest you look at Promise VTRAK Ex10 series. These take SAS and SATA disk and have FC-AL controllers (4Gb RAID). The JBOD controllers are SAS. So you can use new disks and have fibre channel connectivity or use irix supported LSI SAS card with JBOD controller.

You are better off with original Promise ones than Apple version, as Apple version firmware limits HD capacity to 2TB.

For RAID setup you configure via web interface, so no problems with irix, Solaris or other OS compatibility. OS just see FC connected disks.

Cheers,

jwhat.
Last edited by jwhat on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwhat - ask questions, provide answers

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:31 pm

jwhat wrote:The top unit is sgi version of EMC Clarion (I used to have one..).

They were 1GB FC-AL interface with FC 3.5” disks. Suggest you avoid these as native FC disk only have small capacities and are no longer made.

Thats pretty crappy performance! Therefore not an option! :(

jwhat wrote:If you are looking for FC-AL connected disks, then suggest you look at Promise VTRAK Ex10 serires. These take SAS and SATA disk and have FC-AL controllers (4Gb RAID). The JBOD controllers are SAS. So you can use new disks and have fibre channel connectivity or use irix supported LSI SAS card with JBOD controller.

Wow, now we're talking!

The only problem is that an array like that will cost an arm, a leg and two kidneys!

Im willing to take time in getting all of this set up so this is something that I'm willing to shoot for. Thanks for pointing me in this direction. :D

jwhat wrote:For RAID setup you configure via web interface, so no problems with irix, Solaris or other OS compatibility. OS just see FC connected disks.

I would just have to confirm that this system could be setup to run with Flame?
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:28 pm

Hi Irinikus,

Promise VTRAK arrays are available cheap via eBay, as pretty much all enterprise fc has moved to 16Gbs quite some time ago.

I paid usd $ 300 for empty one a few years ago, before I moved to SAS direct connect (on Apple box).

It would likely cost more to ship than cost of array.

4TB SAS disks are also available cheap as now enterprise purchases are 8-12TB.

I have never setup discreet “stone” array, so not sure what this involves. I have some discreet stuff heading my way so will likely tackle this in near future.

Cheers,

jwhat

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:07 am

jwhat wrote:Promise VTRAK arrays are available cheap via eBay, as pretty much all enterprise fc has moved to 16Gbs quite some time ago.

I paid usd $ 300 for empty one a few years ago, before I moved to SAS direct connect (on Apple box).

It would likely cost more to ship than cost of array.

I was looking at their latest offerings! (They look awesome :D )

An older Promise VTRAK Ex10 series unit on eBay thats in reasonable condition will set you back in the region of $3000, excluding shipping and taxes. (I would want one thats in excellent condition though.)

The shipping on such an item looks to be in the region of $1500!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sell-As-Is-Promise-Technology-VTrak-E-Class-VTE610f-SAN-RAID-Chassis-16-TB/232673694414?hash=item362c6ed2ce:g:noIAAOSwuA1ajb0u

The M - series is rather cheap though. (Not as desirable)

EDIT:

Here's one for relatively cheap (smaller capacity 7.2TB), but just look at that shipping cost!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Promise-Technology-VTrak-E-Class-VTE610f-SAN-RAID-Chassis-3-16-TB-storage/131303094433?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50999%26meid%3Db96a008059ff4c62a11163a1d40641d4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D232673694414%26itm%3D131303094433&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Image ... Image

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:25 am

Hi Irinikus,

If you only need 12 disks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Promise-VTrak- ... SwkChatxCe

Or my way of example for 16 disks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Promise-VTrak- ... 0505.m3226

I this is just quick sample, might be better look at uk eBay for cheaper shipping to SA.

The reason I got mine so cheap was because it had no disks or sleds, as I already had a not so cheap Apple version with sleds and needed to get non Apple firmware onto it ( having learnt by experience of 2TB limit on Apple version). The Apple chassis has burnt in serial that stops you running native Promise firmware.

Btw the one which looks nice that you sent link to is the Apple version ... avoid these !
The Apple ones have nice looking silver plastics, while Promise ones have bulky & ugly black handle.
But the only way you can definitively tell is by checking firmware version.

Cheers,

jwhat.

shutitalldown

Unread postby shutitalldown » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:41 am

I wonder if there is a mini tower, 4 units, with FC initiator on sATA/SAS disks. The 4X version (that is SAS initiator on sATA/SAS disks) should be also interesting, supported by LSI-PCI-X cards (they have drivers for Irix, and for linux), and they are cheap and easy to find and available in both rack and non-rack solutions.
I am tattooed in reverse, cause if you break rules you don't know where it leads.
But, say, all the venus in furs are so manically depressed and manically dressed.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:54 am

shutitalldown wrote:I wonder if there is a mini tower, 4 units, with FC initiator on sATA/SAS disks. The 4X version (that is SAS initiator on sATA/SAS disks) should be also interesting, supported by LSI-PCI-X cards (they have drivers for Irix, and for linux), and they are cheap and easy to find and available in both rack and non-rack solutions.

That is a nice option!

For the purposes of this exercise, I would like to keep all my hardware period specific if at all possible though.

I have been notified that I can set the secondary disk in the system up as a "stone". This will just have to suffice for now until I can make the necessary funds available to get a good disk array, preferably one that was manufactured sometime between 2003 and 2006 (The production life of the Tezro).

The Flame software that's going to be installed on the machine is the 2008 version, so I might expand my options up until 2008 for this setup, as far as the disk array's date of manufacture goes.
Image ... Image

shutitalldown

Unread postby shutitalldown » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:30 am

2008? Discreet Logic Flame 2008? this is definitively too expensive, but it might give an idea about the setup.
I am tattooed in reverse, cause if you break rules you don't know where it leads.
But, say, all the venus in furs are so manically depressed and manically dressed.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:35 am

shutitalldown wrote:2008? Discreet Logic Flame 2008? this is definitively too expensive, but it might give an idea about the setup.

It may seem expensive, but that's actually a reasonable price for what you're getting there. (It's a complete Flame setup and it's a one stop shop.)
Image ... Image

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi Irinikus,

for future reference here is thread on Apple Promise E610f vs. Promise E610f firmware:
https://communities.vmware.com/message/ ... =0#2359075

The instructions from poster "Dexterous" provide way out of Apple firmware limitation and is that I did, but purchasing standard empty promise chassis and moving my controllers from Apple Promise into this.

If you wish to be more "retro" (and I know you are a bit of a stickler for this) in terms of matching same era SGI kit with same era storage, I suggest you also do a lookup on Xyratex FC-AL arrays.

Again I used to have one of these (it was 2 GB FC JBOD).

Xyratex where long ago bought out by Seagate, but were primary OEM supplier to many companies including SGI and IBM.

You can again find various options easily via ebay search, the early arrays are pure FC (controllers and disks), as with most other vendors they went to FC -> SATA/SAS and also SAS <-> SATA/SAS (Dell MD1400 series).

Cheers,

jwhat.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:32 am

jwhat wrote:If you wish to be more "retro" (and I know you are a bit of a stickler for this) in terms of matching same era SGI kit with same era storage, I suggest you also do a lookup on Xyratex FC-AL arrays.

I found this for sale on eBay in Germany:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xyratex-RA-1602-Storage-15x-300GB-HDD/152526879809?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

They also look pretty cool and are reasonably priced.(Although I have other commitments currently and won't be able to buy it soon.)

The two fibre channel cards fitted in my Tezro are: QLOGIC QLA2342 Optical Fibre Channel Dual-Port 2Gbit cards, so a drive array such as this one would provide adequate performance for my system.
Image ... Image

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:55 am

I have one of those Xyratex JBODs, in SGI version (TP9100). I run it split mode, so dual 2Gb/s. It will easily saturate that, even with the grab bag of junk HDs I have installed. Also important: it starts the blowers in hurricane mode, but quiets down after a minute or so.

Beware that most arrays like that can be found with FC-ATA or FC-SATA interposers so you can load them with ATA/SATA disks, but the firmware on the interposer is hardcoded to accept only a handful of different types of disks. All of which are by now hard to find, expensive and worn out. You're better off with 300GB/15K FC disks which are usually in better shape after a couple of years in service.

shutitalldown

Unread postby shutitalldown » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:15 am

jan-jaap wrote:It will easily saturate that

that is the sad point of linux on a - say - PowerMacG4: with the same FC controller that works good on a Tezro with Irix, and even if on the paper your PowerMac has enough bandwidth on the PCI-X to cover 250Mbyte/sec IOP, *by facts* you feel the frustration of being behind the saturation on the first data-burst at 100Mbyte/sec :roll:

Due to? Bad PCI-bus arbitration? Linux limit? Did Apple lie on real performance? Incompatibility with the hardware?
Who knows that ...

Irix is dead, but at least it's a solid certainty: you get what you expect!

p.s.
FC<->SATA-disks vs SAS 4X: which is the best?

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:54 am

I can only speculate about that PowerMac because I never had one. But if you want to rule out hardware or blame Linux, you should run a supported OS on it first (Mac OS).
shutitalldown wrote:Irix is dead, but at least it's a solid certainty: you get what you expect!

Usually, but not always. The LSI U320 SCSI is crap for example. You're better of with the QL12160 which is U160.

shutitalldown wrote:p.s.
FC<->SATA-disks vs SAS 4X: which is the best?

Performance wise I don't know, but what I like about FC is that you can easily put the array far away, to make the noise more tolerable. With copper this is either impossible or very expensive.

Return to “SGI: hinv”