Fuel V12 DCD R16K 900MHz 4GB

A place to post hardware inventories.
Forum rules
Please post your 'hinv' in the following format:

Topic: Kind of machine (O2, Octane, Tezro, Onyx2, etc.), CPU (R10k 250MHz, R12k 300MHz, R16k 1GHz, etc.), RAM, graphics option (Example: Tezro V12 4xR16K 700MHz 4GB)

Body: output of hinv -v (hinv -vm if possible) and /usr/gfx/gfxinfo.

Please wrap the output in BBCode "code" blocks to improve legibility.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: Fuel V12 DCD R16K 900MHz 4GB

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:20 am

hamei wrote:But I can tell you right now, you're mistaken. Indigo Magic sings at high resolutions :D

Even windows is getting fairly decent given the glut of inexpensive hi-dpi laptops and tablets out there. The issue is that it isn't super easy for programmers to implement, so a lot of the lazier ones don't bother (E.g. 3S CodeSys simply gives an error message if you start it with dpi at anything other than 100% :evil: ) OSX still has the simplest hi-dpi solution, but it's also the least flexible (either 1x or 2x, and scale up or down from that). So most mac programs support it now, but there is only so much you can do (either ~100 (standard) or ~200 (retina) dpi, if you want it inbetween the GPU must scale the framebuffer; it works well enough but is not totally ideal. I have two 2560x1600 screens, one is 13" and one is 27" so, it works.

No shock Irix knows how to handle different resolutions (dpi's) as one of the very first things I played with when I got started with it was the scaling scrollwheel of the vectorized icons :mrgreen:

hamei

Re: Fuel V12 DCD R16K 900MHz 4GB

Unread postby hamei » Sat May 16, 2015 8:10 pm

guardian452 wrote:Even windows is getting fairly decent given the glut of inexpensive hi-dpi laptops and tablets out there. The issue is that it isn't super easy for programmers to implement, so a lot of the lazier ones don't bother (E.g. 3S CodeSys simply gives an error message if you start it with dpi at anything other than 100% :evil: ) OSX still has the simplest hi-dpi solution, but it's also the least flexible (either 1x or 2x, and scale up or down from that). So most mac programs support it now, but there is only so much you can do (either ~100 (standard) or ~200 (retina) dpi, if you want it inbetween the GPU must scale the framebuffer; it works well enough but is not totally ideal.

T221 is kind of slick, it scales all by itself, no software needed. Say your kompewter delivers 1920 x 1200, that's one-fourth of 3840x2400 so each big fat low-res pixel becomes four skinny hi-res pixels. All the common resolutions likewise, although some have a band around the perimeter. It has its own frame buffer which refreshes at 48 hz, no matter the input frequency, so it can do tricks like this.

One thing that is super annoying tho, is the plethora of idiots programming in pixels on the web. Haysoos Chuy Kreestos, this is 2015. With all the caterwauling about mooo-durn you'd think the little nitwits could figure out that display-agnosticism is even more important now than when Mr Berners-Lee invented the web. But html displays perfectly, while their groovy current web2 css* displays like crap. "700 pixels wide", can we shoot someone, please ?

* rmb, "View Page Source", ctrl-f, enter "px" in the search box. Yeah, phpbb. You fucking idiots. X has a dpi setting and vector fonts (googlefonts, anyone ?) scale perfectly with points. POINTS, idiots. POINTS.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

Return to “SGI: hinv”