root pw ...

Open forum for security issues and info.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
kirm3s
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:19 pm

root pw ...

Unread postby kirm3s » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:37 am

hi...
is there ANY way to get my root pw out off my machine... think i did something like improve security last month i tried to get cups configurated to use my shareed usb mac printer and now.... i cannot log in any more !
it truly fucked !
probably have to install all again - right ?

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6543
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: root pw ...

Unread postby foetz » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:46 pm

kirm3s wrote:hi...
is there ANY way to get my root pw out off my machine... think i did something like improve security last month i tried to get cups configurated to use my shareed usb mac printer and now.... i cannot log in any more !
it truly fucked !
probably have to install all again - right ?


boot into miniroot and just clean the entry.
or if you have a second sgi just mount the disk and do the same.

User avatar
Dr.Satan
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Maine
Contact:

Unread postby Dr.Satan » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:19 pm

Can you define "clean the entry" for us? Thanks :lol:

User avatar
Hamster
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:33 am
Location: Germany

Unread postby Hamster » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:52 am

Dr.Satan wrote:Can you define "clean the entry" for us? Thanks :lol:


Edit "/usr/passwd" and remove the password-entry from root 8)

thomas

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6543
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Unread postby foetz » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:26 am

Hamster wrote:
Dr.Satan wrote:Can you define "clean the entry" for us? Thanks :lol:


Edit "/usr/passwd" and remove the password-entry from root 8)

thomas


it's /etc/passwd or if you have shadow passwords active /etc/shadow

User avatar
Dr.Satan
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Maine
Contact:

Unread postby Dr.Satan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:31 am

Thanks guys that helps alot.

kirm3s
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:19 pm

Unread postby kirm3s » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 am

ok, fine, can now read the file /etc/passwd with cat... but how can i edit and what should i write instead of :

root::0:0:Super-User:/:/bin/csh

> now looked on an other irix box... /etc/passwd looks quite the same for root..... would editing here really help ?

> how can i mount the drive on other box and edit from there ?


???

thanx for help,
#kirm3s#

Revlef
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:25 pm
Location: Arnhem, the Netherlands

Unread postby Revlef » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:19 am

kirm3s wrote:ok, fine, can now read the file /etc/passwd with cat... but how can i edit and what should i write instead of :

root::0:0:Super-User:/:/bin/csh

> now looked on an other irix box... /etc/passwd looks quite the same for root..... would editing here really help ?

> how can i mount the drive on other box and edit from there ?


???

thanx for help,
#kirm3s#


if you have an install cd , boot into miniroot select :admin and then shroot' to get a root shell. then just type passwd then you can enter a new password.

regards


Return to “SGI: Security”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests