Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Japanese popular culture.
User avatar
Gray Fox
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Beatrice, NE, USA

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby Gray Fox » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:24 am

Not too long ago I seen the first part of Akira. I wish I could finish watching it. For an anime from the 80's, it's pretty good, oh hell its more then pretty good. Its Damn Good.

User avatar
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8139
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:31 am
Location: Pleasanton, California
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:44 am

Gray Fox wrote:For an anime from the 80's, it's pretty good


What's wrong with anime from the 80's? Some of the best stuff came out then - certainly most of my favorites. Ah well, kids these days :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

User avatar
nekomusume
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby nekomusume » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:59 am

nekonoko wrote:
Gray Fox wrote:For an anime from the 80's, it's pretty good


What's wrong with anime from the 80's? Some of the best stuff came out then - certainly most of my favorites. Ah well, kids these days :)


lol! here here, got to worship 80's anime :P BGC, Akira, Dominion tank police lol

User avatar
Gray Fox
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Beatrice, NE, USA

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby Gray Fox » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:04 pm

Nothing wrong with oldskool anime, I love it. One thing I dont really understand is that when Pokemon first came out people watched it and started to watch more anime that they see on Cartoon Network. They only had like 2-3 older animes on. But at school people that like anime dont like the older ones. Or they only watch anime that comes to America.

User avatar
nekomusume
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby nekomusume » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:55 pm

Gray Fox wrote:Nothing wrong with oldskool anime, I love it. One thing I dont really understand is that when Pokemon first came out people watched it and started to watch more anime that they see on Cartoon Network. They only had like 2-3 older animes on. But at school people that like anime dont like the older ones. Or they only watch anime that comes to America.


Cartoon Network = 4kids "implementation" channel?

doesn't the USA editions have the 4kids work over (aka no risky screens/Dumbed down storylines, no "risky" language)?

User avatar
Gray Fox
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Beatrice, NE, USA

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby Gray Fox » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:59 pm

nekomusume wrote:
Gray Fox wrote:Nothing wrong with oldskool anime, I love it. One thing I dont really understand is that when Pokemon first came out people watched it and started to watch more anime that they see on Cartoon Network. They only had like 2-3 older animes on. But at school people that like anime dont like the older ones. Or they only watch anime that comes to America.


Cartoon Network = 4kids "implementation" channel?

doesn't the USA editions have the 4kids work over (aka no risky screens/Dumbed down storylines, no "risky" language)?


Ya Cartoon Network does that. Unless You have the Action Channel (its one of the Stars movie channels) That have some hardcore anime. NC17 and M ratings. Use to watch Hellsing on the channel. America likes to edit some of the animes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editing_of_anime_in_American_distribution

Plus they edit the mos stupid things like food, logos, smoking, and etc.

The edited version of Pokémon. Ash Ketchum is carrying a submarine sandwich.
The unedited version. Satoshi is carrying an Onigiri, a food item unfamiliar to most Americans.


One Piece. The original Japanese version is on the right (with a villain, Helmeppo, threatening another character, Coby, with a handgun), while the censored version is on the left (with Helmeppo holding a hammer attached to a spring.)


In some instances Japanese studios have refused to allow their work to be censored as a precondition of signing a US release contracts.

User avatar
nekomusume
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby nekomusume » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:07 pm

Gray Fox wrote:
nekomusume wrote:
Gray Fox wrote:Nothing wrong with oldskool anime, I love it. One thing I dont really understand is that when Pokemon first came out people watched it and started to watch more anime that they see on Cartoon Network. They only had like 2-3 older animes on. But at school people that like anime dont like the older ones. Or they only watch anime that comes to America.


Cartoon Network = 4kids "implementation" channel?

doesn't the USA editions have the 4kids work over (aka no risky screens/Dumbed down storylines, no "risky" language)?


Ya Cartoon Network does that. Unless You have thee Actions Channel (its on of the Stars movie channels) That have some hardcore anime. NC17 and M ratings. Use to watch Hellsing on the channel. America likes to edit some of the animes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editing_of_anime_in_American_distribution

Plus they edit the mos stupid things like food, logos, smoking, and etc.

The edited version of Pokémon. Ash Ketchum is carrying a submarine sandwich.
The unedited version. Satoshi is carrying an Onigiri, a food item unfamiliar to most Americans.


One Piece. The original Japanese version is on the right (with a villain, Helmeppo, threatening another character, Coby, with a handgun), while the censored version is on the left (with Helmeppo holding a hammer attached to a spring.)


In some instances Japanese studios have refused to allow their work to be censored as a precondition of signing a US release contracts.



I still lol at the local book store refusing to sell the unedited edition of Ghost in the shell manga, the unedited edition if I recall as some slight lesbian scenes in. yet the same store sells hentai >_>

User avatar
Gray Fox
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Beatrice, NE, USA

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby Gray Fox » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:39 pm

I still lol at the local book store refusing to sell the unedited edition of Ghost in the shell manga, the unedited edition if I recall as some slight lesbian scenes in. yet the same store sells hentai >_>


Wow, that's mess up.

User avatar
Gray Fox
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Beatrice, NE, USA

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby Gray Fox » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:47 pm

I bought Love Hina Vol 1 Manga and my sister got all pissed at me saying I'm sick for buying a book with that "filth" in it. I was old enough to buy it. I also show her he age rating on it too. She end up messing up the manga for me. Its got some small rips because she used sticky notes as book marks to the "bad" parts she didnt like and also hidden it from me and end up bending it. That really pissed me off. I told her to stop destroying my stuff because I dont have the money to get new stuff like she does.

Items lost/messed up due to my sister
Love Hina Vol 1 Manga
Dell Computer
2 Monitors
3-5 Keyboards
5-8 Mice
Super Nintendo
N64 Game
20in SGI Monitor
SGI Indy
Mac 6500
Bent to Hell Desk
2 stacks of blank CDs
NewType Mags
Anime Posters
and the list goes on...

Just gotta love my sister.

User avatar
nekomusume
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby nekomusume » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:13 pm

Gray Fox wrote:I bought Love Hina Vol 1 Manga and my sister got all pissed at me saying I'm sick for buying a book with that "filth" in it. I was old enough to buy it. I also show her he age rating on it too. She end up messing up the manga for me. Its got some small rips because she used sticky notes as book marks to the "bad" parts she didnt like and also hidden it from me and end up bending it. That really pissed me off. I told her to stop destroying my stuff because I dont have the money to get new stuff like she does.
Just gotta love my sister.


aww, sounds like my ex boyfriend. He tossed out my old OM 10 camera, burned all of my CU amiga stuff (oh didnt I say I was/am a diehard amiga fan), wrecked my guitar and amp (that was the last straw, it was a 70's Strat!!) as well as leaving me with a phone bill for when he phoned ..... you know hmmm lines ... (well am a geek, I actually care more about my old band and my computers than sex), sad I know but for me its messy and stressful >_>

User avatar
toxygen
Posts: 318
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:19 am
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby toxygen » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:31 pm

nekomusume wrote:aww, sounds like my ex boyfriend. He tossed out my old OM 10 camera, burned all of my CU amiga stuff (oh didnt I say I was/am a diehard amiga fan), wrecked my guitar and amp (that was the last straw, it was a 70's Strat!!) as well as leaving me with a phone bill for when he phoned ..... you know hmmm lines ... (well am a geek, I actually care more about my old band and my computers than sex), sad I know but for me its messy and stressful >_>


sounds like you killed all his family and his friends ;).
no, really, what have you done to that poor guy?

yeah, and BIG machines are actually better than sex (having fingers on 32cpu machines is better than orgasm, actually).
they seldom bore you and they never betray you :) :idea:
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org

User avatar
nekomusume
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby nekomusume » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:41 pm

toxygen wrote:
nekomusume wrote:aww, sounds like my ex boyfriend. He tossed out my old OM 10 camera, burned all of my CU amiga stuff (oh didnt I say I was/am a diehard amiga fan), wrecked my guitar and amp (that was the last straw, it was a 70's Strat!!) as well as leaving me with a phone bill for when he phoned ..... you know hmmm lines ... (well am a geek, I actually care more about my old band and my computers than sex), sad I know but for me its messy and stressful >_>


sounds like you killed all his family and his friends ;).
no, really, what have you done to that poor guy?

yeah, and BIG machines are actually better than sex (having fingers on 32cpu machines is better than orgasm, actually).
they seldom bore you and they never betray you :) :idea:


Ah see I have a twin sister called Lucy but shes a bit >_> and likes to call herself Loki, so I fed her Dave, Last I heard of him was a phone call calling me a evil bitch, I thanked him as you do and told him the truth about himself.

I agree, but I left him for a catgirl called Kim, her cat Ron kun, Tokyo Mew Mew DVDs and manga and a IBM System p5. :P

That said am happy that am Bi and poly

User avatar
toxygen
Posts: 318
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:19 am
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby toxygen » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:52 pm

nekomusume wrote:Ah see I have a twin sister called Lucy but shes a bit >_> and likes to call herself Loki, so I fed her Dave, Last I heard of him was a phone call calling me a evil bitch, I thanked him as you do and told him the truth about himself.

I agree, but I left him for a catgirl called Kim, her cat Ron kun, Tokyo Mew Mew DVDs and manga and a IBM System p5. :P

That said am happy that am Bi and poly


you live with another girl? :) that's evil :twisted:
and yeah, power5 are slick processors (imo one of the best, if not the best ones on the market).

i still remember my first contact with that machine, it was like first kiss :) :

Code: Select all

toxygen@p5_1:~$cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1654.344000MHz
revision        : 2.1

processor       : 1
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1654.344000MHz
revision        : 2.1

processor       : 2
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1654.344000MHz
revision        : 2.1

processor       : 3
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1654.344000MHz
revision        : 2.1

processor       : 4
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1654.344000MHz
revision        : 2.1

processor       : 5
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1654.344000MHz
revision        : 2.1

processor       : 6
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1654.344000MHz
revision        : 2.1

processor       : 7
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1654.344000MHz
revision        : 2.1

timebase        : 207051000
machine         : CHRP IBM,9124-720
toxygen@p5_1:~$
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org

User avatar
nekomusume
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby nekomusume » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:07 pm

toxygen wrote:you live with another girl? :) that's evil :twisted:
and yeah, power5 are slick processors (imo one of the best, if not the best ones on the market).

i still remember my first contact with that machine, it was like first kiss :) :

Why thanks ^^ and atm am away trying to find a place in scotland for us to move to permo,

Yep, I miss it, shame we had to sell it to move however >_> Kim "Why dont we move in to a proper house" me "hmm ok darling"..... its got me skint atm

Least I'll be able to move all of our computers up to one place =^..^= my SUN and Sgi stuffs in bracknell, london, Sunderland and glasgow.

so am like hmm were is that file ... oh its on the Indy thats at my mothers only 200 miles away O_O

Oh yes also I recommend Tokyo Mew Mew, its amazing

User avatar
toxygen
Posts: 318
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:19 am
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Re: Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby toxygen » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:12 pm

nekomusume wrote:
Least I'll be able to move all of our computers up to one place =^..^= my SUN and Sgi stuffs in bracknell, london, Sunderland and glasgow.

so am like hmm were is that file ... oh its on the Indy thats at my mothers only 200 miles away O_O


imagine every computer having it's very own ipv6 or ipv4 address and you connect to it from anywhere and fetch your files.
i'm fucking waiting for such age to come... when any device will have it's communication chip, starting with fridge ending with my monitor. setting everything by connecting from outside.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org


Return to “Japan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest