Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Japanese popular culture.
Gray Fox

Have any one seen any good anime lately?

Unread postby Gray Fox » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:07 pm

Anime fourm seens kind of dead. So... Have you seen any good anime lately. I dont get that much time to watch anime anymore. :cry: Not until winter and summer break comes.

Alteredninth

Unread postby Alteredninth » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:15 pm

I've just seen the new Final Fantasy movie Advent Children. I haven't played the game series so I came to it cold. I saw the first movie but i know it has nothing to do with the games (or the second movie). All i can say is WOW! Easily the best CGI I've ever seen. Makes the first one look like tom and jerry ;)

It probably makes a lot more sense to people who are familiar to the universe but i enjoyed it anyway. wonder if they used SGI machines on this one?

voth

Unread postby voth » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:57 am

Gray Fox,

Why not just do a random download of a episode/series and play it by ear, that's how I found a lot of interesting series.

rob

Unread postby rob » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:15 am

I've gone to watching lots of classic stuff, as I'm now on a Uni connection and it's a bit tricky to aquire new stuff :)

voth

Unread postby voth » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:44 am

rob wrote:I've gone to watching lots of classic stuff, as I'm now on a Uni connection and it's a bit tricky to aquire new stuff :)

University cracking down on all BT/*mule traffic are they. Well you could always go the route of Usenet

rob

Unread postby rob » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:08 am

There's a massive notice up saying "Don't do it", so I'll just wait until I go back home in a couple of weeks :)

Gray Fox

Unread postby Gray Fox » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:59 am

voth wrote:Gray Fox,

Why not just do a random download of a episode/series and play it by ear, that's how I found a lot of interesting series.

I wish that I could, but i have dial-up. :cry:

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:57 am

Watched all six episodes of Furi Kuri this weekend....

If you have not seen it, see it now, at all costs. No review does it any justice, people will interpret the story however they want and still be far from the truth.

The fact is, it is just fun to watch.

Gray Fox

Unread postby Gray Fox » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:11 am

VenomousPinecone wrote:Watched all six episodes of Furi Kuri this weekend....

If you have not seen it, see it now, at all costs. No review does it any justice, people will interpret the story however they want and still be far from the truth.

The fact is, it is just fun to watch.

I seen all the fooly cooly episodes. Like to see them all again.

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:02 pm

Alteredninth wrote:All i can say is WOW! Easily the best CGI I've ever seen. Makes the first one look like tom and jerry ;)

what makes you think so? i found the main problem with the first one in the look department to be the animation, otherwise it was quite nicely done imho. now, advent children looks like motion captured or rotoscoped body animation as well, there are a few horribly weird anims in there too. facial stuff ranges from impressive and subtle to totally laughable. hair animation i remember to be better in the first, cloth sim/dynamics were nicer in advent children though.
one impressive thing that advent children had was the extreme close-ups on some characters where you could literally see every pore of their skin or surface details on their clothing.

as for the movie itself, i too haven't played FF7, so i didn't get a lot of the story (listening to japanese and trying to catch up with english subtitles didn't help either :D ) but i somehow dislike the whole videogame style. the first one was more serious and - i think - overall better, yet still not good ;)
btw. there's also a 2d/hand drawn FF7 spin off that's called FF7: last order.

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:07 am

I saw miyazaki's 'Howls Moving Castle' two weeks ago - most excellent and this week I've been OD-ing on Crest/Banner of the Stars - totally excellent! And as ever in these matters, USENET is your friend...

TeeTylerToe

Unread postby TeeTylerToe » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:33 am

I heartily recommend full metal alchemist to everyone. if, after the first two awesome episodes, a few are a little slow, keep with it. I really got a lot out of it.

Gray Fox

Unread postby Gray Fox » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:40 pm

Thanks ya all.

But most of the anime you all requested I have seen.

radicaledward

Unread postby radicaledward » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:47 pm

Kino's Journey just came out in DVD box set recently if you like the more philosophical anime, and Planets is also very good if you are into more realistic anime.

Gray Fox

Unread postby Gray Fox » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:03 pm

Last night I watched some anime movies on TCM, they played the 2 movies two times in english and then in japanese.

Return to “Japan”