Serial Experiments Lain...

Japanese popular culture.
vegac

Serial Experiments Lain...

Unread postby vegac » Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:07 pm

So, I'm stuck up here in the bay area (home is some 10 hours away in San Diego) for the next 1-3 weeks for work, and this weekend I decided to do a marathon of Serial Experiments Lain (currently on Layer 3)

I've seen the series once before, good stuff.

Anyways, it reminded me of what I thought the first time I saw it.

In the second episode (err, Layer) a delivery guy is sitting there delivering a top of the line Navi (a computer) to this girl (Lain) and talking about how it's the best there is, he wishes he had something like that, andhow he just has some homebrew system.

The first time I sawit, and again now, I think that like, she's unpacking some top of the line SGI workstation or something, and he's sitting there with a home-brew PC wishing he had a "real" system. I don't know why I made this comparison the first time I saw it, as it was before I owned any SGI's, but still...I found it interesting thinking back to that now as I watch it again.

Just figured I'd share that, no real reason to be honest :)

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:41 am

The GUI on the OS Lain's father uses looks like 4Dwm to me.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:45 am

The GUI on the computer K uses to look at the woman hes was in love with in the first Men In Black looked like 4DWM to me.

Totoally off subject, I know... :wink:

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:26 am

Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure it was. Heh, it's ways fun to try to spot SGIs in movies and TV Shows :) I remember seeing a list somewhere someone was making of SGIs in movies... perhaps we can renew that list. Include things like the in-your-face plug for Silicon Graphics near the begining of Lost In Space etc.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:08 am

directedition wrote:Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure it was. Heh, it's ways fun to try to spot SGIs in movies and TV Shows :) I remember seeing a list somewhere someone was making of SGIs in movies... perhaps we can renew that list. Include things like the in-your-face plug for Silicon Graphics near the begining of Lost In Space etc.

Might that have been the list here: http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/movies/index.html ?
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:52 pm

IIRC, the OS that Lain uses prevalently is a variant on the BeOS GUI. One thing to note: at the end of each episode is the oh-so-familiar "to Be continued..."--the old BeOS logo.

The Japanese loved BeOS, BTW.

All of this is just a friendly, FYI. :)

I just happened to look down just now and realized I had my old BeOS t-shirt on, as well. Funny that.

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:38 pm

http://www.cjas.org/~leng/apple-lain.htm
- You might find this an interesting read.
- Jim

bobflappy

Unread postby bobflappy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:49 am

Did you know this?

http://lainos.sourceforge.net/index.php

There's no screen capture on the site, but i know it's supposed to be a rewrite of FreeBSD 4.5.[/url][/u]

Return to “Japan”