What got you hooked into Anime??

Japanese popular culture.
SparcV

What got you hooked into Anime??

Unread postby SparcV » Thu May 22, 2003 5:13 pm

For me it was Ghost in the Shell and Macross Plus.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What got you hooked into Anime??

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu May 22, 2003 9:51 pm

SparcV wrote:For me it was Ghost in the Shell and Macross Plus.

The first anime I was interested in was the Starblazers series (Uchuu Senkan Yamato in Japan) which I originally watched as a kid around 1979. It wasn't until Robotech in 1985 that I really got into anime, shortly afterward I discovered Macross: Oboete imasu ka? and the Crusher Joe movie (1986). I joined Anime Sacramento in 1987 and have been hooked ever since.

Ghost in the Shell and Macross Plus both came out while I was living in Japan ... I got to see GiTS in a Japanese theatre when it was released :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Thu May 22, 2003 10:18 pm

A little embarrasing, but my first anime addiction was actually Bishiojou (sp?) Senshi Sailor Moon. My long time addiction is currently Evangelion. (cries of terror over the upcoming live action version)

But it was good in the end, because it's how I got into SGIs. As a heavy addict, I came to join the crew of http://www.sailormoon.org, I had mentioned my interest in 3D animation to the admin (he was one of those legandary super hackers) and he suggested I take a look at buying an SGI. This was four or five years ago. At the time he offered me his R3k Indigo for $300 :shock: You can hardly convince someone to cover the shipping cost these days.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri May 23, 2003 1:37 am

What a lovely thread!

I first got into anime when i saw "Captain Future" on german tv in 1980, i was 9 at that time:

http://www.captainfuture.com/deutsch/home/index.html

I don't know for sure if this is a genuine japanese anime but the animation and director were all japanese, so i guess this counts.

Much later when i was a student in 1989, i saw "Akira" in the cinema and was impressed, two years later "Wicked City" (naaah) and "Chojin Dengetsu Urotsukidoji" (YAAA!) Hence the Megumi Avatar. "GITS" in 1997 and it kinda rolled from there....

bobflappy

Unread postby bobflappy » Fri May 23, 2003 4:31 am

For me it was during 80's, where i could see Goldorak (Mazinger i think) on TV every Wednesday.

Then, there were other series like Saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2...

Later, i saw classic movies like Akira, Porco Rosso, Ghost in the shell...

I'm not a huge fan of anime, but some of them (Akira and Ghost...) are very impressive.

whiter

Unread postby whiter » Fri May 23, 2003 4:32 am

Actualy.

It's the weird unnatural eyes that got me _not_ hooked into Anime.

For the rest the drawings often look quite good (I'm usualy just interested in the graphics quality and not in the story itself :) but the eyes... don't know why.... they're too big and shiny and kind of scare me away.

to reverse the topic a bit.
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?

SparcV

Unread postby SparcV » Fri May 23, 2003 4:43 am

I remember watching Robotech when I was a kid. I didnt know it was Anime, it just was a really cool cartoon. I had a bunch of Robotech toys. I wish I could find that box that had all my old toys...

directedition

Unread postby directedition » Fri May 23, 2003 6:25 am

I remember watching TV late at night when I was eleven years old. I caught my first glimpse of anime nudity then.... it just didn't make sense to me at the time. For me, cartoons only came on saturday mornings and had the same plot every week.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:

semi-fly

Unread postby semi-fly » Fri May 23, 2003 6:28 am

Robotech; first the books then the animated series. After that, Macross. I actually watched Akria during "film class" when I was in my first year of highschool, and it totally blew me away. The thing that really got me interested in Japanese culture / anime was videogames. I had a schoolmate from Japan, and he would fly over there to visit his father. He'd always bring back kick-ass Super Famicom, PC-engine and Mega Drive games, most of which never got released in the U.S. I played the "Super Nintendo" well before it's U.S release, and I rember him showing me screen shots from Famicom of some game called "Street Fighter 2", in which you actually used SIX buttons to play (wow)! I don't play video games much anymore, but I've got the S.O. hooked on Anime now (hehe) and we watch it together.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Fri May 23, 2003 8:59 am

It was actually being there in the late 70's and watching the Gundam and Starblazers episodes at the age of 3 for me. Of course, Seasame Street in Japaneese was an entertainment all of it's own. I wasn't there for very long, but long enough to have some fuzzy memories of it.

After that I alwaysfound it all very interesting, epecially the games shows.

Hakimoto

The old days...

Unread postby Hakimoto » Fri May 23, 2003 1:41 pm

For me it was also Captain Future back in Germany. Then of course, Akira, and ever since then I am hooked on Cyberpunk Anime. Started collection pretty early, and things like Bubblegum Crisis, Burn Up! and Macross II really got me hooked.

At the moment my soft spot is for:

RahXephon
Noir
Argento Soma
VanDread

I just love that stuff. (Not to forget Gasaraki).

Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi and Metropolis were great.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

LionRampant

Unread postby LionRampant » Fri May 23, 2003 6:09 pm

It was Robotech for me as well, followed by a void of some years, until I walked into Neko's dorm room and saw a subtitled Dangaioh episode playing on his TV. From there I learned the names by printing and applying 9-pin dot matrix printed labels to Neko's sizable collection of anime VHS tapes, and watching some of them with subtitles, or more often, with a script or synopsis from an anime con guide or magazine. The latter is how I experienced the first showing of my personal favorite, Oneamisu no Tsubasa Oritsu Uchugun (Wings of Honneamise, Royal Space Force).

Since then, I've seen a decently-sized subset of the anime canon and discovered other standouts, such as Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä, The Five Star Stories, Mononoke Hime, Hoshi no Koe, Memories, and the Seikai no Monsho/Senki series.

Basically, it's all Neko's fault. :D

--LR

vegac

Unread postby vegac » Fri May 23, 2003 7:45 pm

It's all my coworker's fault!

Generally, working in the video game industry I'm surrounded by this stuff...

when I first started I had seen VERY few anime, but slowly and surely they introduced me to a lot...

Eva, Trigun, Giant Robo, Getter Robo, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Vampire Huntre D (and sequel), as well as most other Miyazaki flicks, and numerous others...

Let's just say that I actually looked forward to going to work every day.

Of course as in every job things got worse, the cool people left because of it, and I'm the last one standing, but hey, such is life - and that's another tale for another post under another topic.

somecodemonkey

Masamune Shirow

Unread postby somecodemonkey » Sun May 25, 2003 9:50 am

All of his work is amazing but the one that got me hooked was Dominion Tank Police. Never laughed so much in my life but bubblegum crisis did help me along as well as Tenchi Muyo RYOKO RULES!
1995: Real Audio released, allowing users to listen to halting bursts of static in real time.

Onyx_RE2

Unread postby Onyx_RE2 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:00 pm

Starblazers did it for me too (way to go Neko!!)
Nothing like the starship Yamato firing up the Wave-motion gun...

Return to “Japan”