Has anyone ever seen CHU-HI or Deeppresso in the US?

Japanese popular culture.
The Keeper

Has anyone ever seen CHU-HI or Deeppresso in the US?

Unread postby The Keeper » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 am

Most anyone who's visited Japan and partaken in the vending machines (is it possible to visit Japan and _not_ partake in the vending machines?) should recognize these two... The former is the Kirin alcoholic beverage, and the latter is the Georgia-brand coffee...

Does anyone recall seeing either of these in the US?

Thanks,
Chris
:O2000R: (<-EMXI/IO6G) :O200: :O200: :O200: (<- quad R12k O200 w/GIGAchannel and ESI+Tex) plus a bunch of assorted standalone workstations...

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone ever seen CHU-HI or Deeppresso in the US?

Unread postby nekonoko » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:49 am

I'll keep an eye out for you.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks!

There are a couple decent Japanese grocery stores in the Toronto area (which is about an hour north of here), where I'd have hoped to at least found Deeppresso, but none of them carry any Georgia-brand coffees. Not sure if that's because there's no Canadian importer or not.

Alcoholic beverages of any sort in Canada can only be purchased from government-regulated stores, and I haven't been able to track down any of the "low-brow" Japanese alcohols such as CHU-HI.

Mitsuwa in New Jersey, which is probably as close as I can get, probably carries all sorts of fun things, but 'Joisey is an 8 hour drive...

Chris
:O2000R: (<-EMXI/IO6G) :O200: :O200: :O200: (<- quad R12k O200 w/GIGAchannel and ESI+Tex) plus a bunch of assorted standalone workstations...

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:56 pm

never seen a booze dispenser here. probably against the law. i have seen in japan though :) but i don't drink!
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:36 pm

What, you mean a booze dispenser like this one?

http://www.kalisiak.com/japan/movies/thats%20good%20beer.MOV

Yes, I'm sure that would be so illegal in the US it would make your head spin.

;-)

shel

Unread postby shel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:04 am

The Keeper wrote:Most anyone who's visited Japan and partaken in the vending machines (is it possible to visit Japan and _not_ partake in the vending machines?) should recognize these two... The former is the Kirin alcoholic beverage, and the latter is the Georgia-brand coffee...

Does anyone recall seeing either of these in the US?

I've seen a lot of the Japanese canned coffee drinks, including Georgia branded ones, at the Uwajimaya supermarket in downtown Seattle. It's a huge Asian supermarket. Mostly Japanese, but with lots of other Asian specialties. It's more expensive than diving into the small markets in the nearby International District (aka Chinatown), but a little more Westerner-friendly. Overall, it's a gas of a place, and not to be missed by anyone with Asian food cravings or a Hello Kitty fetish...

-Shel

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:30 am

The Keeper wrote:Alcoholic beverages of any sort in Canada can only be purchased from government-regulated stores, and I haven't been able to track down any of the "low-brow" Japanese alcohols such as CHU-HI.

Yeah, I don't think that either The Beer Store or the LCBOs would carry stuff like that.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:54 am

Uwajimaya looks promising, but it's on the other side of the US, and their Amazon store is a bit on the sparse side. Mitsuwa is on this side of the US, and even at the same general latitude, but even then it's still an 8 hour drive...

The Beer Store wouldn't carry CHU-HI because CHU-HI is more like a "wine cooler" than anything else. I haven't seen any Beer Stores in the Markham, ON area, but they might have the likes of Kirin, Asashi, and Sapporo. I did find a couple of LCBO's in the Markham area, but they only seem to carry a handful of sake brands, and a shochu or two. (Shochu is the Japanese equivalent of vodka, and is where the "CHU" in the name comes from.) Mostly the Markham area is Chinese, with some Korean and a few Japanese.

Chris

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:26 am

The Keeper wrote:Yes, I'm sure that would be so illegal in the US it would make your head spin.

when i first read it i thought you were talking about the vending machines, not the beverages :)
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:18 pm

I'd love to find Umeshu in Quebec or Ontario, but again, it's the same problem. Kind of a low-brow drink so it doesn't get imported. Next trip back to Japan, I'm bringing back a suitcase full!

Sapporo is owned by Sleeman now, so it's easy to find in Canada, even in grocery stores. It's "brewed under license" with the same price tag that it used to sport when it was imported from Japan.

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Interesting, the LCBO's in your area don't carry plum wine that's been imported from Japan? The ones in southern Ontario do, anyway...

I haven't been to an LCBO recently, but in western NY there are liquor stores that carry the umeshu with the whole fruits in it.

Chris

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:20 pm

In Quebec we have the SAQ (Société des Alcools de Québec) - the LCBO equivalent - they carry one type of plum wine which isn't so great. Next trip down to the US or Southern Ontario, I'll have to keep an eye open for it. Thanks for the tip!

*edit*

I should add that Ontario has a much larger Japanese population than Quebec, so probably more demand for that sort of thing.

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:46 pm

Yeah, keep your eyes open for this one. It's fun to drink/eat. I know this is in a few liquor stores in western NY, so a more metropolitan area like Toronto should have it too:

http://www.floatingcork.com/wine_review/182
http://www.choya.com/

Not too expensive, either. Like USD$15 in the NY liquor stores. Not sure what that works out to in LCBO$, though... I would hope it's not more than like $20...

Chris

maxsleg

Unread postby maxsleg » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:21 am

I was in little Tokyo in LA last week - didn't see any
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Didn't see any, what, CHU-HI/Deeppresso? If so, thanks anyway for looking...

Chris

Return to “Japan”