Come get your Blender 2.41 build, roll up, roll up...

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
lewis

Come get your Blender 2.41 build, roll up, roll up...

Unread postby lewis » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:04 pm

Here's a little experiment: Blender 2.41 built with gcc.

After much pain and frustration I might add.

But if y'all could give it some testing and/or benchmarking I'd be most obliged:

http://lewissaunders.com/shite/blender-2.41-irix-6.5-mips.tar.gz (6.6 Mbytes)

I know that the International Fonts thing is broken, has been for a while, I assume some GL problem with FTGL. I had to hack up the GL extension support in the game engine to get it to compile, but does anyone actually use the game engine?

It's built for mips3, shouldn't depend on any freeware or anything, and was compiled with no optimisation so don't expect superfast renders :) Have a play, post here if you find bugs...

hamei

Re: Come get your Blender 2.41 build, roll up, roll up...

Unread postby hamei » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:28 pm

lewis wrote:Here's a little experiment: Blender 2.41 built with gcc....

Gottit ... runs okay on a V12 Fuel. I imported a dxf and that worked okay, too. I really dislike the way it insists on monopolizing the screen tho, so it'll probably go bye-bye very soon. Anything special you'd like run on it while it's still here ?

lewis

Unread postby lewis » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:59 am

You mean the way it runs full screen? Just give it the -w flag and it'll be all windowed and nice :)

Could you check if particles work? At one point it crashed as soon as you turned them on but I think it got fixed.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:12 am

lewis wrote:You mean the way it runs full screen? Just give it the -w flag and it'll be all windowed and nice :)

VAST improvement ! I may leave it around for a while now :)

Could you check if particles work? At one point it crashed as soon as you turned them on but I think it got fixed.

Sure. How to ? I'm not a Blender person .....

lewis

Unread postby lewis » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:59 am

Select any mesh, even a simple cube will do, then hit F7 twice to get the Particles buttons, then hit New. If you then turn the Normal slider in the Particle Motion buttons tab up a bit and hit ALT-A with the mouse over the 3D window you should see little white dots flying outward from the mesh.

Took me a while to figure that out, only just noticed that the particles buttons have been completely rearranged!

Good to know it works on someone else's machine, I thought I might have screwed up the link somehow. Thanks!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:35 am

lewis wrote:Select any mesh, even a simple cube will do, then hit F7 twice to get the Particles buttons, then hit New. If you then turn the Normal slider in the Particle Motion buttons tab up a bit and hit ALT-A with the mouse over the 3D window you should see little white dots flying outward from the mesh.

Works fine, didn't crash and burn or anything :-) I'll never be able to find my way back here tho -- good thing I don't use particles ! Now if we could just get it to compile with MIPSPro so all the little electrons would be optimized for our beloved Silicon Graphics machinery .... jesus, either Japan is attacking again or I'd better get out to check on the fireworks. Later much !

lewis

Unread postby lewis » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:00 am

Cool.

It will build with MIPSPro, and more cleanly than with gcc, it's just I don't HAVE MIPSPro :)

It will probably get gradually more gcc-like now that Hos is less active though.

hamei

Re: Come get your Blender 2.41 build, roll up, roll up...

Unread postby hamei » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:39 am

lewis wrote:... if y'all could give it some testing ...

Here's one thing -probably not an Irix bug but if you render something using the built-in render machine, it opens the rendering in a separate window. All well and good but I can't shut that damned window for love nor money afterwards. Even the process manager only sees one blender process, so you have to kill the entire shebang to get the rendered window to close.

lewis

Unread postby lewis » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:42 am

Yes, Blender does that... it's stupid. You can have it render over the 3D viewport by hitting the DispView button in the Render buttons (F10), but then it usually goes at the wrong size and looks blocky, flickers like crazy afterwards etc. You can hit F11 to display and lower the render window BTW.

It seems like I can close the Render window on Linux though, so I'll look into that...

Did you notice if the render window was dithered? I don't know if that ever got fixed. Also the main window is probably running at 12 bits per component which is a little excessive and slow.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:13 am

lewis wrote: Did you notice if the render window was dithered? I don't know if that ever got fixed.

Doesn't look to be but I'm just looking at the default cubey thing, grey on a blue background, so ....

Also the main window is probably running at 12 bits per component which is a little excessive and slow.

Hmm, not sure how to tell about that - here :

Code: Select all

xwininfo: Window id: 0x6400002 "Blender"

Absolute upper-left X:  320
  Absolute upper-left Y:  60
  Relative upper-left X:  0
  Relative upper-left Y:  0
  Width: 1185
  Height: 937
  Depth: 30
  Visual id: 0x47
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x6400001 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +320+60  -95+60  -95-27  +320-27
  -geometry 1185x937-87-19

xwininfo: Window id: 0x6400009 "Blender:Render"

Absolute upper-left X:  691
  Absolute upper-left Y:  118
  Relative upper-left X:  0
  Relative upper-left Y:  0
  Width: 800
  Height: 618
  Depth: 30
  Visual id: 0x47
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x6400008 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +691+118  -109+118  -109-288  +691-288
  -geometry 800x618+683+86

Depth 30 ?

lewis

Unread postby lewis » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:55 am

I guess that means 10-bit, but you should be able to correlate the visual id with the output of glxinfo or findvis to find out more exactly...

I should really turn my Octane on and do some testing myself... but the new IE7 beta is SO SHINY!

Bluefan

Unread postby Bluefan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:57 am

lewis wrote:I guess that means 10-bit, but you should be able to correlate the visual id with the output of glxinfo or findvis to find out more exactly...

I should really turn my Octane on and do some testing myself... but the new IE7 beta is SO SHINY!

who needs IE7 anyway? I heard the GUI was mostly stolen of firefox, and I just use Opera 8.53, way better than firefox.

(btw look at my sig :D )
:O2:Toika :O2:Myra :O2:Fiona :Octane:Lisa :Octane:Sandra :Indigo2:Danica :Indy:Giana :O200:Lara :O200: :O200:Iona :O2000:Aida

MattPayne

Unread postby MattPayne » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:15 am

Bluefan wrote:
lewis wrote:I guess that means 10-bit, but you should be able to correlate the visual id with the output of glxinfo or findvis to find out more exactly...

who needs IE7 anyway? I heard the GUI was mostly stolen of firefox, and I just use Opera 8.53, way better than firefox.

(btw look at my sig :D )

ie7 comes up as mozilla/firefox if you use any kind of browser identification... :D god i do love tabbed browsing! :D
:Onyx: Onyx Infinite reality, Quad R10k 195, 2gbram
:Octane2: Octane1.5 ;) R12k 400, 2gb, V6, 36gb + 18gb
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R4400 250, 340mb, MaxImpact, 4mb Trams
:1600SW: 1600sw + Multilink x2

lhaza

blender windowing

Unread postby lhaza » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:45 pm

hi there, concerning the window prob: blender has a cool feature: when you start it up like this

Code: Select all

./blender -w -p 0 0 200 200

it will run in a window located at 0,0 (left downside of screen) sized 200x200 px ....and the render window should be a separated window.

greetings
m.

big_mark_h

Unread postby big_mark_h » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:27 pm

Hamei, if you want to close the render window and carry on working in Blender just hover your mouse over the render window and press ESC. It doesn't close the window, just puts it underneath Blender but at least it gets it out of the way.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”